PDA

View Full Version : Was Ron Paul with the GOP refusing to leave the floor?

Virginia Libertarian
08-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Anyone know?

Talking about this:http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0808/House_Dems_turn_out_out_the_light_but_GOP_keep_tal king.html?showall

And I don't know what McCain is thinking.. he should have been there making an appearance trying to appear all "compassionate" :rolleyes:

Indy4Chng
08-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Wasn't it a vote to go on vacation... I think the republicans were trying to make a point that there are things that need to be done now and we shouldn't get a vacation. Obviously it was just a politic season move.

Conza88
08-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Wasn't it a vote to go on vacation... I think the republicans were trying to make a point that there are things that need to be done now and we shouldn't get a vacation. Obviously it was just a politic season move.

If that's the case... it's better they went on vacation..

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the congress is in session."
- Mark Twain

I hope they take a LONNGGGGGGGGGG f--ken holiday and never come back.

Indy4Chng
08-01-2008, 10:24 PM

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the congress is in session."
- Mark Twain

True dat!! Unfortunately they are only going to be gone a month.

Virginia Libertarian
08-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Er..

Anyone know if Ron was there?

Indy4Chng
08-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Er..

Anyone know if Ron was there?

He voted "yea" or whatever one was to not ajourn.

legion
08-02-2008, 02:16 AM
even more hilarious is that the issue of coastal drilling is being framed as an environmental issue. it isn't. its all about maintaining property values on the coastline of california, which is bullshit.

RSLudlum
08-02-2008, 02:38 AM
its all about maintaining property values on the coastline of california, which is bullshit.

Same thing going on with Gov. Sanford here in SC...but I think there's something else going on underneath our governor's position....I think Sanford wants to make sure the State has more say over what happens on our coast, which is positive, in the sense that he may be trying to reassert state rights issues, and negative, in the respect of 'conserving' the coastline for property/tourist/aesthetic reasons, which could be quite understandabley controversial.

Joseph Hart
08-02-2008, 04:06 AM
I watched it live on CSPAN. What a joke. They were "revolting" the revolting Pelosi. Since she doesnt support offshore drilling and the over hype of her endorsement to Obama. The GOP members were trying to spam more offshore drilling plans. I respect the freedom of speech and Pelosi should have allowed them in. This was a publicity stunt and there was also plugs of commercial products during the Press interview. I literally started laughing at how ridiculous this was. I guarantee there will be propaganda spreading on the house floor more and more from Democrats and Republicans.

nobody's_hero
08-02-2008, 04:16 AM
So, when do free people finally stand up and tell the government that it has no Constitutional authority to regulate for or against offshore drilling?

I mean, find the word "energy" in the Constitution. They never amended it.

I still feel like I'm forced to choose between Big Oil or Big Government, however.

But the Constitution could solve the 'offshore drilling dilemma' in a heartbeat.

Joseph Hart
08-02-2008, 06:02 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7e9_1217626852

Charles Wilson
08-02-2008, 07:17 AM
The big picture: We the people are better off with members of Congress on vacation and not in Washington DC creating more legislation that take away our freedom. A majority of our Representatives support "Corporatism and Organized Religion" AKA Fascism. They are bought and paid for.

Because I am a Christian and pro-life, it took me quite some time to figure out why abortion-on-demand is still the law of the land. We have all heard the argument put forth by the Republican leaders whereas we need to get a majority of conservative judges on the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade and stop abortion on demand. Well guess what, the politicians know that will never happen because they control who sits on the highest court in the land. I bought into that argument for many years until Ron Paul introduced a bill in Congress that would halt abortion in it's tracks without having to pack the court with conservative judges. Ever hear of the Sanctity of Life Act? http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1094:

I wrote to some of the better known Religious organizations and asked them why they did not support this legislation. I was told that they supported appointing conservative judges to the Supreme Court to solve the abortion issue. Needless to say, after getting that response, a light bulb went off in my head. As much as I support my faith and Christian heritage, for the first time I realized that many, if not most, of our church leaders only worship the buck. I had often wondered why -- since the churches are in the faith business -- our churches would give up their God given right to speak out on the issues for a "tax exempt status". Now I know, just follow the money! Couple this with the greed of the Corporatists and we have fascism -- pure and simple. We have wolves in sheep's clothing taking away our freedom at an alarming rate.

Goldwater64
08-02-2008, 01:43 PM
And I don't know what McCain is thinking.. he should have been there making an appearance trying to appear all "compassionate" :rolleyes:

Yeah, that would only be "slightly" totally inappropriate for a Senator running for President to show up for no reason at a heated House vote.

fr33domfightr
08-02-2008, 03:36 PM

- Mark Twain

I really believe in what Mark Twain said here. Our Congressman spend almost all of their time in Washinton D.C., and hardly any time in their home district. I don't think they even act as representative for their respective districts anymore. It does seem like everything they do is somehow to attack citizens. And because they're at it all day long, they can come up with all kinds of legislation you probably don't know about because you're too busy working and taking care of your life. In the mean time, these SOBs are stabbing you in the back.

I say, time for them to come home, and stay there!!!!

FF