PDA

View Full Version : I have been asked

kathy88
08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
by our meetup organizer to run for congress next go 'round. Like a lot of people, my past is a bit... shall we say checkered... this man is willing to finance my campaign and is aware of my reluctance and why I'm reluctant and doesn't care. He really wants me to run.

I'm not afraid to face anything I've done in the past, but how ugly can a congressional race get? Anyone have any firswt hand experience?

I can remember back in college doing stupid shit and laughing and saying, "oh well, there goes my political career" never DREAMING that one day I might actually be considering just that.....

Should I start at the county commissioner level and go from there, or go straight for the gusto?

WarDog
08-01-2008, 03:25 PM
You know more now than you did then. So to be human is to be flawed. And I can understand your hidden sin,,,lol. who is with out it. But you know they will use anything against you so its a tough choice for any one any time. You only can know "YOU!!". Have you changed for the better?! and you know if your lying or being truthfull. People can see this.
Be open And dont hid your short coming's.

kathy88
08-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Maybe it would be refreshing to have a "real person" running.

amy31416
08-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Own your mistakes, be completely upfront and eloquent about it should it come up. Make sure you've tried to make right any harm that's been done to another person.

That puts you head and shoulders above 99% of the population.

MRoCkEd
08-01-2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzT4dOyCMg0

brandon
08-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Obama used to do cocaine...

liberteebell
08-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Own your mistakes, be completely upfront and eloquent about it should it come up. Make sure you've tried to make right any harm that's been done to another person.

That puts you head and shoulders above 99% of the population.

Agree. I think the main reason so many Real People don't run for office of any type is because of the dirty politics and the microscopic examination of their closet skeletons (as though anyone's perfect).

I have a friend who ran for mayor of a large city and he said it was horrible all the stuff the opposition looked up on him and used to smear him.

I believe, however, that a lot of voters are getting weary of these smear tactics and would rather hear honest debate on the issues.

Owning your mistakes, and perhaps speaking to lessons learned and personal growth, would be a refreshing change in the political landscape.

muzzled dogg
08-01-2008, 06:28 PM
unless you had a sex tape in college or suttin you should be straight

RickyJ
08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
by our meetup organizer to run for congress next go 'round. Like a lot of people, my past is a bit... shall we say checkered... this man is willing to finance my campaign and is aware of my reluctance and why I'm reluctant and doesn't care. He really wants me to run.

I'm not afraid to face anything I've done in the past, but how ugly can a congressional race get? Anyone have any firswt hand experience?

I can remember back in college doing stupid shit and laughing and saying, "oh well, there goes my political career" never DREAMING that one day I might actually be considering just that.....

Should I start at the county commissioner level and go from there, or go straight for the gusto?

You are more qualified than Obama, so go for President right now. :D

If you really want to do this then go for it. If your heart is not 100% into it then don't. Also be prepared for threats if you happen to win which is highly unlikely considering the voter fraud in this nation. But if you do win you will learn very quickly who really runs this nation, and it sure isn't the congress critters.

acroso
08-01-2008, 06:40 PM
The Paul movement first turned me into a large L libertarian.

Now I'm more of a successionist....so my extremism grows stronger I guess.

Just try promise us to do as much damage to the Federal Government as you can if you manage to get elected. heh

nate895
08-01-2008, 06:44 PM
The Paul movement first turned me into a large L libertarian.

Now I'm more of a successionist....so my extremism grows stronger I guess.

Just try promise us to do as much damage to the Federal Government as you can if you manage to get elected. heh

You believe in monarchy?

Otherwise I think you mean secession.

As for the topic of this thread, you were young and stupid. As long as you weren't convicted of a felony and never got it expunged, or have a sex tape or something like that you will be fine.

Malakai
08-01-2008, 06:53 PM
IMO you need to start local to make a name for yourself.

I wish more fresh into politics people would run, I would vote for them, but most people, especially the older folks who actually go out and vote, will not vote for a political newbie they've never heard of before.

My uncle wants me to run for something local. I'm poor though so

Mach
08-01-2008, 07:17 PM

Go for the gusto! You will learn from it either way, if it doesn't work out you can always do the county commissioner thing and more people will already be familiar with you, it's the classic..... people always wish they would have went for it after the fact, kinda thing, any "pain" you have to go through will only help you grow even more than you already have.