PDA

View Full Version : House bans lead from toys and kids' goods (424-1)

Randy-
07-31-2008, 07:41 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — Alarmed by a year of recalls targeting millions of tainted toys, the House voted overwhelming Wednesday to ban lead and other dangerous chemicals from items such as jewelry and rubber ducks that could end up in kids' mouths.

Rep. Ron Paul of Texas cast the only dissenting vote. The failed Republican presidential candidate frequently votes against measures expanding the federal government's reach.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hk2PsdpRbmKmS0Wm45tU1HU5DSawD928G23O1

Fox McCloud
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
I never got the big deal about lead in toys; once upon a time there was a lot more lead in common house-hold objects; people just realized this and told their kids not to chew on things because they could get sick or it'd hurt them.

Stupid, stupid, stupid....

All I can say is GO RON PAUL! :)

Kludge
07-31-2008, 10:47 AM
<Writes down 424 more names on the "People I'd like sterilized" list>

Pepsi
07-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I think getting lead paint whould be a good ideal , and paint the outside of your house with. Also getting some lead line material in your windows.

Zippyjuan
07-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Lead can cause brain damage. I think that Congress is speaking from experience on this issue.

Truth Warrior
07-31-2008, 11:39 AM
How many YEARS late? :rolleyes:

LittleLightShining
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
I never got the big deal about lead in toys; once upon a time there was a lot more lead in common house-hold objects; people just realized this and told their kids not to chew on things because they could get sick or it'd hurt them.

Stupid, stupid, stupid....

All I can say is GO RON PAUL! :) For crying out loud people used to use pewter dishes! Maybe ingesting lead actually makes people smarter. I don't know, I'm just saying...

I think getting lead paint whould be a good ideal , and paint the outside of your house with. Also getting some lead line material in your windows.OOOH! Good point! Really excellent conspiracy-theory worthy point!

Fox McCloud
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
For crying out loud people used to use pewter dishes! Maybe ingesting lead actually makes people smarter. I don't know, I'm just saying...

I'm not saying that all companies should put lead in items to make them cheaper of that lead is safe, I'm just saying that it's not Congress' place to ban this, and consumers need to be educated (and aware, themselves) of what is in or not in products.

It's little things like this that, over time, build up a Statist Empire.

rpfan2008
07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Why its 'not to be proud of' in the tags??

Truth Warrior
07-31-2008, 12:28 PM
And the Congress just cares so much "for the children". :p

Yeah, RIGHT! :rolleyes:

IRO-bot
07-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Why its 'not to be proud of' in the tags??

it's for the other 434.

LittleLightShining
07-31-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm not saying that all companies should put lead in items to make them cheaper of that lead is safe, I'm just saying that it's not Congress' place to ban this, and consumers need to be educated (and aware, themselves) of what is in or not in products.

It's little things like this that, over time, build up a Statist Empire.I don't think so, either, but I have always had this feeling (based on no facts whatsoever) that lead isn't as harmful as they say it is. I was talking to a septuagenarian friend of mine yesterday and he was telling me that he used to break open thermometers to play with the mercury inside, he would run barefoot through the chicken pens... not to mention the lead soldiers every boy of his age played with. This guy is a sharp as a tack.