PDA

View Full Version : Study reveals signs of toxicity of GE maize approved for human consumption

Cinderella
07-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Source: Current - Green Peace

Berlin, Germany — Laboratory rats, fed with a genetically engineered (GE) maize produced by Monsanto, have shown signs of toxicity in kidney and liver, according to a new study.(1) This is the first time that a GE product which has been cleared for use as food for humans and animals has shown signs of toxic effects on internal organs.

The study, published today in the journal “Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology”, analysed results of safety tests submitted by Monsanto to the European Commission when the company was seeking authorisation to market its GE Maize variety MON863 in the EU. (2)

The data shows that MON863 has significant health risks associated with it; nonetheless, the European Commission granted licences to market the maize for consumption by both humans and animals. (3)

The incriminating evidence was obtained by Greenpeace following a court case (4), and passed on for evaluation by a team of experts headed by Professor Gilles Eric Séralini, a governmental expert in genetic engineering technology from the University of Caen. (5)

In a joint press conference with Greenpeace at Berlin, Professor Séralini said, “Monsanto’s analyses do not stand up to rigorous scrutiny – to begin with, their statistical protocols are highly questionable. Worse, the company failed to run a sufficient analysis of the differences in animal weight. Crucial data from urine tests were concealed in the company’s own publications.”

Greenpeace is demanding the complete and immediate withdrawal of Monsanto’s MON 863 maize from the global market and is calling upon governments to undertake an urgent reassessment of all other authorised GE products and a strict review of current testing methods.

“This is the final nail in the coffin for the credibility of the current authorisation system for GE products. Once it’s known that a system designed to protect human and animal health has approved a high-risk product despite clear evidence of its dangers, we need to start ‘strip-searching’ all GE products on the market, and immediately abort this flawed approval procedure,” said Christophe Then, Genetic Engineer campaigner, Greenpeace International.

The data in question has been the subject of fierce debate since 2003, when significant changes were identified in the blood of tested animals fed on MON863. MON863 was approved by the European Commission, in spite of opposition by a majority of EU member states, who raised concerns over the safety of the maize. Professor Séralini’s analysis now scientifically confirms these concerns. As the study states, “with the present data, it cannot be concluded that GM corn MON863 is a safe product.” And yet, MON863 has been authorised for markets in Australia, Canada, China, Japan, Mexico, the Phillipines, and USA, besides the EU.

“This is an international emergency alert, requiring a global response,” concluded Then, “Only a complete withdrawal from all markets will curtail the possible damage.”

Related Reports

* Regulatory systems for GE crops a failure: the MON863 case

13 March 2007
* MON 863: A chronicle of systematic deception

13 March 2007

Notes to Editor

1. The article is due to be published online (http://www.springerlink.com/content/?k=1432-0703) by the American journal Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology; it will be printed in May. A fax copy can be sent on request. A Greenpeace briefing on the study is available at: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/press/reports/gp_briefing_seralini_study
2. The tested GE maize named MON 863 produces a new insecticide called “modified Cry3Bb1” able to kill a pest insect in the soil (Diabrotica virgifera). This GE maize also contains a gene coding for antibiotic resistance.
3. The European Commission granted a license for MON 863 to be used in feed in August 2005, and subsequently approved it for human consumption in January 2006.
4. For details, please refer to the Greenpeace paper: “The MON863 case -a chronicle of systematic deception” http://www.greenpeace.org/international/press/reports/mon863_chronicle_of_deception
5. The analysis team was headed by Professor Séralini from the University of Caen and included experts from the French independent scientific organisation CRIIGEN.

Further contact information for reporters to get video, photos or report details

Christoph Then, Genetic Engineering campaigner, Greenpeace International: +49 171 878 08 32 Namrata Chowdhary, Greenpeace International Communications: +44 77 261 751 48 Prof. Gilles-Eric Séralini, CRIIGEN : +33 231 56 56 84, criigen@unicaen.fr

http://www.blacklistednews.com/news-890-0-6-6--.html

noxagol
07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm not too ready to accept studies by green peace. I've seen some of their other studies and thought them completely bunk because of how they play with the numbers.

amy31416
07-31-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm not too ready to accept studies by green peace. I've seen some of their other studies and thought them completely bunk because of how they play with the numbers.

My thoughts exactly. That's like reading news on how successful the surge has been, then realizing it's an article written by John McCain.

kathy88
07-31-2008, 03:51 PM

Agreed.

noxagol
07-31-2008, 06:15 PM
At the same rate, you can't disregard it out of hand just because it is green peace. A broken clock is right twice a day.

dannno
07-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Nothing to see here folks, keep eating your GE GM corn.

GE concealed the results of the urine tests of the rats for your own safety, green peace doesn't know what they are talking about.

Mini-Me
07-31-2008, 09:59 PM
My thoughts exactly. That's like reading news on how successful the surge has been, then realizing it's an article written by John McCain.

Then again, Monsanto is an even more untrustworthy source...I trust Monsanto's products about as much as I trust the Nazis' showers. (Of course, I probably eat them without even knowing it, since they're such a big friggin' company and they've done so much work to prevent competitors' products from being labelled as not genetically modified...)

amy31416
08-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Then again, Monsanto is an even more untrustworthy source...I trust Monsanto's products about as much as I trust the Nazis' showers. (Of course, I probably eat them without even knowing it, since they're such a big friggin' company and they've done so much work to prevent competitors' products from being labelled as not genetically modified...)

That is indeed the flipside. I did enough research on Monsanto to know that not only would I not believe a word of any "research" they put out, but I won't (knowingly) buy anything from the company again. But like you said, we probably consume their products without even knowing.

Truth Warrior
08-01-2008, 05:47 AM
TPTB NWO agenda item, lose the "useless eaters".

GunnyFreedom
08-01-2008, 06:03 AM

Um. As I read the article, the study was not conducted by Greenpeace, from what I understood, the study was conducted by Monsanto who then hid the negative data from the approving agencies, which data was later uncovered BY Greenpeace through legal action. That's a totally different scenario, AFAIK.

And yes, Greenpeace is yuck, but Monsanto is 10,000,000 TIMES yuck. Monsanto is, IMHO, one of the, if not THE evillest corp/org on the planet.

youngbuck
08-01-2008, 09:02 AM
All you gotta know is that you should avoid anything genetically modified.

123tim
08-01-2008, 05:28 PM
All you gotta know is that you should avoid anything genetically modified.

I know that I do. The question is how do we really know that what we're eating isn't modified?

amy31416
08-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I know that I do. The question is how do we really know that what we're eating isn't modified?

Grow everything you eat yourself. Other than that you're SOL.

Wyurm
08-02-2008, 09:17 AM

I see, so then Monsanto is much more trustworthy than Green Peace? And when exactly did this change occur? When you hear about a chemical company covering up reasearch, studies, facts, etc... the probability that the company in question is Monsanto is about 99.9%.

They lied about the safety of rBGH, http://www.organicconsumers.org/rbgh/fox-news.cfm They lied about agent orange http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange Oh, just look at their wiki entry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto

So, allow me to illustrate this a moment. Imagine you had a neighbor that was highly suspect of killing several neighborhood children. Someone you don't like tells you to keep your children away from the possible murderer, would you allow the possible murderer to babysit your children just because you don't like the person that warned you?

HonestyInMedicine
08-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Wake up everyone. There is an over 60% chance if you shop in a regular grocery store that you are buying products with genetically engineered ingredients in them. This has been going on a long long time! Recently they have proven that there are health problems that kill develop as a result of ingesting them over time.
This site goes into the dangers
http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/AboutGeneticallyModifiedFoods/index.cfm

This site is a good place to start learning about this crucial issue also www.truefoodnow.org.

They have a " shoppers guide" you can print and take with you grocery shopping where they list the good companies that don't use GM foods and the bad companies that do.