PDA

View Full Version : How's life treating everyone personally during these unstable times?

georgiaboy
07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Me and mine are sailing smoothly, with tailwinds picking up!

LittleLightShining
07-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Good for the most part. On a day to day basis things are pretty much the same as they've been, which is much better than they were 5 years ago. On the downside, my husband's job is in jeopardy thanks to the state of Vermont and their extremely shortsighted views on food and waste infrastructure and politically expedient people with nothing better to do.

torchbearer
07-30-2008, 01:55 PM
my business is booming.
You have to understand, that the first part of hyper-inflation... or double digit inflation, will be a psychological financial boom because people will have more money. At the same time, they haven't realized they are really poorer.
During this stage, you will see more spending, which benefits someone like me who offers computer repair, and networking.

SnappleLlama
07-30-2008, 01:58 PM
getting ready to endure two years of financing a grad school education, so...blargh!!!

acptulsa
07-30-2008, 02:00 PM
getting ready to endure two years of financing a grad school education, so...blargh!!!

Yeah, but just think about how you'll be paying those loans back at pennies on the dollar! Ain't inflation grand?

yongrel
07-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Taking on 6 figures of debt as we speak, with no end in sight, and law school (with even more debt) on the horizon.

SnappleLlama
07-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah, but just think about how you'll be paying those loans back at pennies on the dollar! Ain't inflation grand?

*twirls sparklers in the name of inflation!* ;)

Oyate
07-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Oh man folks, taking on debt in this scenario, in what we see coming? It's kind of like the opposite of what we're telling people to do?

Do you debt-education people have guaranteed employ upon graduation? Majoring in alternative energy with a minor in organic agriculture perhaps? Or learning Mandarin Chinese?

A Chinese vet? A Chinese petting zoo?

torchbearer
07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
as the value of your dollar goes down so does the value of your debt.
Basically they are liquidating everyone's debt through the destruction of the dollar.
These guys are monetary scientist. They know what they are doing. They CONTROL inflation. They don't "try" to keep it low...or high. The just put inflation where they want it.

yongrel
07-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Oh man folks, taking on debt in this scenario, in what we see coming? It's kind of like the opposite of what we're telling people to do?

Do you debt-education people have guaranteed employ upon graduation? Majoring in alternative energy with a minor in organic agriculture perhaps? Or learning Mandarin Chinese?

A Chinese vet? A Chinese petting zoo?

Hindi, actually.

acptulsa
07-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Hindi, actually.

The way to a man's education is through his stomach?

yongrel
07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
The way to a man's education is through his stomach?

Damn straight :D

I figured that if I'm going to learn a language, it might as well be one accompanied by delicious cuisine.

Meatwasp
07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I was smooth sailing until I just got word the Forest Service is intending to light more fires up above us. The canyon will be full of smoke again and goodby more trees.

acptulsa
07-30-2008, 02:31 PM
I was smooth sailing until I just got word the Forest Service is intending to light more fires up above us. The canyon will be full of smoke again and goodby more trees.

Do you happen to know soapmistress? Last we heard from her she was safe from the fire that was threatening her home--and that was about it! Love to know how she made out.

Meatwasp
07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Do you happen to know soapmistress? Last we heard from her she was safe from the fire that was threatening her home--and that was about it! Love to know how she made out.

I am sure she is fine if she lived in the Stockton area. This is the devils play ground for lightening fires under the pretence it is good for the trees. Two years ago we had one right on our door but fought it out. It burned all the oaks and middle to small trees but it did give more brouse for the deer. Also the wild flowers were fantastic. But all those small trees are criscrossed on the ground now and man will it be good tinder.

dgingerich
07-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Believe it or not, my business has gotten stronger over the last few months. I guess people just have to have their computers.:D

Copperhed51
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I was doing great for a while there. I got hired as an airline pilot in February, made it through the training that 50% of my class failed out of, and started flying passengers for a couple months. Then I got laid off on June 30th and can't see getting hired anywhere again for a few years. Thus I am leaving the country for a year or more til things calm down some. If they don't calm down, maybe I won't return.

libertarian4321
07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't know that there will be a "collapse", but if there is, China is going down with us, as well as most of the rest of the civilized world.

China's currency is pinned to the dollar. The US buys a huge chunk of the goods China produces- what happens if the USA "goes down" and 25% of the market for Chinese goods goes with it?

kaleidoscope eyes
07-30-2008, 05:15 PM
well, as long as nothing catastrophic happens, we're doing ok. luckily (right now)my hubs works for a company that mainly supplies Toyota, and from what I can tell, they're still doing quite well. We were thinking of selling the house and him getting a new job... buuuut, the way things are, would that be foolhardy?

jim70769
07-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Things are going very good for me and my family. Both the vehicles are paid off.I get all the overtime I want and we are building a new plant for Marathon and Exxon.As long as people need gas I don't need to worry about my job.