PDA

View Full Version : Need help with sending emails and what server to use

Melissa
07-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi I wondered if anyone could tell me a good way to send out mass emails. I want to rally my state for the Rally in September for the Campaign for Liberty and want to start sending out emails to all the people I have listed does anyone know a good way to start this

thanks

Melissa

Ninja Homer
07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
How big is your list of email addresses to send to? A lot depends on that.

Melissa
07-30-2008, 11:24 AM
It is the list I complied while working for delegates it is about 500 or a few more thanks so much

tangent4ronpaul
07-30-2008, 12:59 PM
gmail will let you send to 200 addresses a day. You would need to set up 3 accounts to reach 500 the same day.

-n

newyearsrevolution08
07-30-2008, 01:21 PM
+1

best way to do that, do NOT use your service providers email address to do it OR they will odds are close your account or at least pause it. I had that happen when I sent out to many emails through an aol account of mine and had to deal with them over the phone.

Do the "free-mail" way as tangent pointed out, worse thing that happens is they cancel the email accounts BUT nothing much passed that.

Do 100 a day and get them done in 5 days from one gmail account. Break it down to a work week effort so it isn't so boring trying to do the 500 in a day.

Just remember to NOT cc: them because then they will ALL have each others email address. I just hate it when someone sends me an email that way and I see my email address is a long list of cc:'s. it is just spam waiting to happen.

The best thing to do is bcc: everyone because THEN everyone will NOT be able to see everyone elses email address that got cc'd the same email. This will save you a ton of time as well.

I am not sure how many you can bcc: per email though.

gmail will let you send to 200 addresses a day. You would need to set up 3 accounts to reach 500 the same day.

-n

Oyate
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Get yourself on a Linux server with PHP and MySQL capability. Install a program called phpList. It's free. You can set it to send emails in small batches with time--outs so your host won't freak out.

With it you can manage lots of different lists, you can manage your users, you can create sign-up forms so people can sign themselves up and change their own email addresses if they want. You can create custom fields if you want, the works. It's really easy to use.

Need any more pointers, just ask.

yongrel
07-30-2008, 02:29 PM
If you use a mac...
http://www.macxware.com/site/products/EmailCampaign/overview.html

Ninja Homer
07-30-2008, 02:48 PM
It is the list I complied while working for delegates it is about 500 or a few more thanks so much

Sorry, had to run out for a bit, but you got some good answers. I'd just go with gmail. 500 addresses isn't enough to bother paying for an email service unless it's a pretty frequent newsletter type thing (in that case, I'd use icontact.com for $10/month). But 500 addresses is too big to send out using an ISP email account.

Just BCC with gmail.

Oyate
07-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Sorry, had to run out for a bit, but you got some good answers. I'd just go with gmail. 500 addresses isn't enough to bother paying for an email service unless it's a pretty frequent newsletter type thing (in that case, I'd use icontact.com for $10/month). But 500 addresses is too big to send out using an ISP email account.

Just BCC with gmail.

That's probably a good way to go for a short-term, one-shot-deal kind of a project. It's free and it has the basic features.

american.swan
07-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi I wondered if anyone could tell me a good way to send out mass emails. I want to rally my state for the Rally in September for the Campaign for Liberty and want to start sending out emails to all the people I have listed does anyone know a good way to start this

thanks

Melissa

Just from reading your title of this thread I suggest you use a dsl Internet connection and your own free Ubuntu Server to send all the email you want.

Mark
07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
I've got access to a couple of hosting accounts where I could install phpList or use some other email/newsletter method.

I've never done any mass mailing but it shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

How is your list stored? In an email program address book that you can export as a CVS file? If so, that file can be imported into phpList.

Melissa
07-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful advice haha not sure which to use I am not a computer junkie at all. Can we start slower though. I want to use my real email so don't think the gmail thing will work as I want them to respond to the aol one and the list I want to use to mail is in a excel file. Now I heard I could set something up put all the emails in and use my own email as the way for them to respond. I am not sure if I am making sense at this point so sorry if this is all unclear

muzzled dogg
07-30-2008, 09:39 PM
spread the word!

tangent4ronpaul
07-31-2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful advice haha not sure which to use I am not a computer junkie at all. Can we start slower though. I want to use my real email so don't think the gmail thing will work as I want them to respond to the aol one and the list I want to use to mail is in a excel file. Now I heard I could set something up put all the emails in and use my own email as the way for them to respond. I am not sure if I am making sense at this point so sorry if this is all unclear

You can set gmail up to to forward mail to you. The nice thing about this is that you can stop the e-mail being sent to your account, say if you get on spam lists or decide the volume is such that you would like to read it separately.

Some of the list processing programs should let you spoof the sending address, but that might trip spam filters.

-n

Oyate
07-31-2008, 04:26 AM
I've got access to a couple of hosting accounts where I could install phpList or use some other email/newsletter method.

I've never done any mass mailing but it shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

How is your list stored? In an email program address book that you can export as a CVS file? If so, that file can be imported into phpList.

phpList installs easy, it's almost over-documented, but it's the usual setup the MySQL database, throw up the actual app files where you want them, plug all the info into the configuration GUI and it's like SO easy to use.

phpList imports CSV very gracefully.

That said, it still may be that gmail is a really accessible way to go for this user at this time.

Austin
07-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Melissa, I can help you set up a Gmail account that will appropriately handle all of the replies and such to your liking. You should still have my email, so if you'd like some help, drop me a line.

Mark
07-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Also, Aol may have a email list option, or, you can ask AOL how many emails you're allowed to send every day.

If you can send 50 an hour, in 10 hours they would be all sent.

I'd first check with AOL to see what they allow, just emphasize that it's not spam,
but simply a group of people that you've communicated with before and want to send an announcement to as a group.

~~~~~~

Or, I've got a few Ron Paul domain names that could be used to create an hosting account -

- and in the subject line you could include your name or something the people would recognize,
and in the message mention that they should respond to your AOL account.

Same thing if using Gmail.

As mentioned before, With Gmail you can have the responses forwarded to your AOL account, but the original email would
have a Gmail address, so you would probably need to indicate somehow that the email is from someone they already know,
and that you'd prefer they respond directly to you AOL account.

~~~~~~~

Or, many email/newsletter sending services offer a free trial period that may cover what you want to do.

tangent4ronpaul
07-31-2008, 01:24 PM
> I'd first check with AOL to see what they allow, just emphasize that it's not spam,

I'm anoyed with this word "allowed" - if that is part of the contract, hmmmm...

-n

Melissa
07-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Melissa, I can help you set up a Gmail account that will appropriately handle all of the replies and such to your liking. You should still have my email, so if you'd like some help, drop me a line.

Thanks so much for the advice all and just sent you an email

RonPaulCentral
08-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks so much for the advice all and just sent you an email

I own a data center. I have clients that send to lists in the 100's of thousands of addresses daily. A list of 500 is nothing in regard to traffic.

One thing you must take into consideration. These ideas to send from a DSL account or just use a shared hosting account will not always work. Companies like AOL, for example, use something called "reverse lookup" to determine if the "sending machine" is in fact a legit mail server. If it does not have a reverse lookup record for it (very good chance with DSL) your mail will be tossed. You will have nothing but problems with sending mail.

If you need a hosting account for a website or sending mail just let me know and I will give you an account free of charge for your project. PM me if interested.

We all need to stick together and help each other with these important projects.

Regards.