PDA

View Full Version : Lessons to be learned from history

B964
07-30-2008, 09:39 AM
After the British evacuated Boston in the spring of 1776, Washington sent General Sullivan north to replace the fallen John Thomas as commander in Canada. He took command of the sick and faltering invasion force, led an unsuccessful counterattack against the British at Trois-Rivières, and withdrew the survivors to Crown Point. This led to the first of several controversies between Congress and General Sullivan, as they sought a scapegoat for the failed invasion of Canada. He was exonerated and promoted to major general on August 9, 1776.

Sullivan rejoined Washington and was placed in command of the troops on Long Island to defend against British General Howe's forces about to envelop New York City. But then, on August 23, Washington split the command between Sullivan and General Israel Putnam. Confusion about the distribution of command contributed to the American defeat at the Battle of Long Island four days later. Sullivan's personal bravery was unquestioned, as he engaged the Hessian attackers with a pistol in each hand, however he was captured.
As a prisoner under parole, he carried letters from Admiral Richard Howe to the Congress. When the resulting peace discussions on Staten Island fell apart in September 1776 some in the Congress, particularly John Adams, found fault with Sullivan.

In August, he led a failed attempt to retake Staten Island. Again Congress found fault, but he was exonerated by the court of inquiry. This was followed by American losses at Brandywine and Germantown. Congress was frustrated by the continued British occupation of Philadelphia, but since Washington was the only man holding the army together, they made Sullivan the scapegoat.

In the summer of 1779, Sullivan led the Sullivan Expedition, a massive campaign against the Iroquois in western New York. During this campaign, troops destroyed a very large Cayuga settlement, called Coreorgonel, on what is now the southwest side of Ithaca, New York.

He pushed his troops so hard that their horses became unusable, and killed them on this campaign, creating the namesake for Horseheads, New York. The lukewarm response of the Congress was more than he could accept. Broken, tired, and again opposed by Congress, he retired from the Army in 1779 and returned to New Hampshire.

Horseheads New York is 30 miles from where I live. 40 years and I never knew why it was named that. What a shame, I did not know. What a shame it was not taught in my school, 30 miles away, and most likely not even in the Horsehead schools themselves.

The lessons to be learned?
Faced with a complete lack of appreciation from the Congress, General Sullivan continued to do his duty. Supported by the confidence of General Washington. The faith of one man in another can overcome the criticism of many.

The other lesson?
Confusion about the distribution of command contributed to the American defeat at the Battle of Long Island four days later.

Cowlesy
07-30-2008, 06:14 PM
After the British evacuated Boston in the spring of 1776, Washington sent General Sullivan north to replace the fallen John Thomas as commander in Canada. He took command of the sick and faltering invasion force, led an unsuccessful counterattack against the British at Trois-Rivières, and withdrew the survivors to Crown Point. This led to the first of several controversies between Congress and General Sullivan, as they sought a scapegoat for the failed invasion of Canada. He was exonerated and promoted to major general on August 9, 1776.

Sullivan rejoined Washington and was placed in command of the troops on Long Island to defend against British General Howe's forces about to envelop New York City. But then, on August 23, Washington split the command between Sullivan and General Israel Putnam. Confusion about the distribution of command contributed to the American defeat at the Battle of Long Island four days later. Sullivan's personal bravery was unquestioned, as he engaged the Hessian attackers with a pistol in each hand, however he was captured.
As a prisoner under parole, he carried letters from Admiral Richard Howe to the Congress. When the resulting peace discussions on Staten Island fell apart in September 1776 some in the Congress, particularly John Adams, found fault with Sullivan.

In August, he led a failed attempt to retake Staten Island. Again Congress found fault, but he was exonerated by the court of inquiry. This was followed by American losses at Brandywine and Germantown. Congress was frustrated by the continued British occupation of Philadelphia, but since Washington was the only man holding the army together, they made Sullivan the scapegoat.

In the summer of 1779, Sullivan led the Sullivan Expedition, a massive campaign against the Iroquois in western New York. During this campaign, troops destroyed a very large Cayuga settlement, called Coreorgonel, on what is now the southwest side of Ithaca, New York.

He pushed his troops so hard that their horses became unusable, and killed them on this campaign, creating the namesake for Horseheads, New York. The lukewarm response of the Congress was more than he could accept. Broken, tired, and again opposed by Congress, he retired from the Army in 1779 and returned to New Hampshire.

Horseheads New York is 30 miles from where I live. 40 years and I never knew why it was named that. What a shame, I did not know. What a shame it was not taught in my school, 30 miles away, and most likely not even in the Horsehead schools themselves.

The lessons to be learned?
Faced with a complete lack of appreciation from the Congress, General Sullivan continued to do his duty. Supported by the confidence of General Washington. The faith of one man in another can overcome the criticism of many.

The other lesson?
Confusion about the distribution of command contributed to the American defeat at the Battle of Long Island four days later.

Great history lesson! --- very surprised there were no comments on this.

voortrekker
07-30-2008, 06:32 PM
"What leaps out at me is the dedication to the Cause, a dedication so great "they couldn't chase him off" despite criticisms (to the point of putting him on trial!) that were constant and repeated."

-Fred

appleseedinfo.org

Cowlesy
07-30-2008, 06:38 PM
"What leaps out at me is the dedication to the Cause, a dedication so great "they couldn't chase him off" despite criticisms (to the point of putting him on trial!) that were constant and repeated."

-Fred

appleseedinfo.org

Fred is the man. I hope to meet him one day when I get to an Appleseed Bootcamp. For those of you who read Shotgun News, you probably know who he is :)

B964
07-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Great history lesson! --- very surprised there were no comments on this.

Maybe because it has nothing to do with bearing arms? No pictures of Tacticool rifles? No stories of my open carry encounter with the police?

Nope. None of that. Just a real account of what was done to ensure things like this very forum. By men and women better than I.

Cowlesy
07-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Maybe because it has nothing to do with bearing arms? No pictures of Tacticool rifles? No stories of my open carry encounter with the police?

Nope. None of that. Just a real account of what was done to ensure things like this very forum. By men and women better than I.

And like that crazy "liberal" George Carlin said, "And nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care".

Labels are for the birds.

Anyhow, I am going to keep spreading the message. At some point, people will be compelled to listen.