PDA

View Full Version : Bennigan's, Steak & Ale Close, File for Bankruptcy Protection

Liberty Star
07-29-2008, 05:12 PM
This news makes me sad, had some great memories of this place:

Bennigan's, Steak & Ale Close,
File for Bankruptcy Protection

By JEFFREY MCCRACKEN and JANET ADAMY
July 29, 2008 12:47 p.m.

National restaurant chains Bennigan's and Steak & Ale have closed their doors and filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection, shuttering more than 300 locations and letting go of thousands of employees.

It is one of the country's largest restaurant bankruptcies and eliminates two sit-down chains that have been part of the casual-dining landscape for decades. The chains will liquidate and aren't likely to re-open.

Late Monday, managers at Bennigan's and Steak & Ale were told not to open restaurants the next day, according to two people familiar with the matter. Employees were told there wouldn't be enough money to pay them for the rest of the week, these people said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121734771456393641.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Malakai
07-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Several restaurant chains in my area (Tampa Bay FL) have filed for bankruptcy in the last month or two. Notably Sam Seltzers Steakhouse, they had almost a dozen restaraunts and had to file bankruptcy and close several as well as stop all construction on new stores being built.

Liberty4Free
07-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh well, another chain bites the dust. Give me some more local restaurants, screw these.

Mach
07-29-2008, 11:13 PM
We drove to Florida a few years ago and ate at Bennigan's twice, we have remembered it ever since then, we had great food and service both times, they are not in our State so we seen them as something special.

IRO-bot
07-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Bennigans food sucked anyways. Nasty stuff. Good beer specials though.

constituent
07-30-2008, 06:53 AM
oh noes!!! not my monte cristo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Cowlesy
07-30-2008, 07:02 AM
We should rename a highway in honor of Bennigan's

Kludge
07-30-2008, 07:09 AM
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?! Bennigan's - BANKRUPT?!?!

Truly, TPTB have succeeded.

I submit - do with me what you will, my Reptilian overlords... There is nothing left worth saving.

acptulsa
07-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Oh well, another chain bites the dust. Give me some more local restaurants, screw these.

I agree but I don't see it happening. I would not open a restaurant in this economy even if I had come up with a dozen all-new recipes to die for.

And now that we're a service economy, it will get worse. People are having to do for themselves, and service jobs will go. Soon even the cooked unemployment numbers are threatening to grow to scary proportions. Hang on tight, folks!