PDA

View Full Version : Reloading: The next level, making your own jacketed bullets.

clytle374
07-29-2008, 03:32 PM
http://www.corbins.com/index.htm

noxagol
07-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Will have to check that out. Could certainly save a lot of money doing it from scratch.

Doktor_Jeep
07-30-2008, 02:22 AM
That is the reason why I pick up the .22 LR empties :)

GunnyFreedom
07-30-2008, 02:57 AM
That is just stupidly cool. I know you had been talking about this before, but I was always a bit uncertain about this...worried about precision more than anything. I thought, "making the projectile has to be a heckuvalot more precise than loading the round, if the jacket is .001 thicker on one side than the other then it will throw off the trajectory...so how accurate can handmade .223 projectiles from .22 brass really be, anyway?"

I'm an accuracy snob anyway, so the idea of making bullets like this scared me from that point of view.

But from that site, it looks like you could actually make bullets as accurate or even MORE accurate than commercial producers, no?

One question though -- I am becoming a huge HUGE fan of moly coated projectiles. is there a way to make moly's with this? If I could actually make match-grade accurate .224 inch moly coat 75 grain with a recessed boattail, then I'll start selling off organs to buy one of these things. ;-)

noxagol
07-30-2008, 03:22 AM
They make moly coated bullets? I would think this a bad idea since they also moly coat barrels and you want the metal of your bullets to be softer than the metal of the barrel.

GunnyFreedom
07-30-2008, 04:04 AM
They make moly coated bullets? I would think this a bad idea since they also moly coat barrels and you want the metal of your bullets to be softer than the metal of the barrel.

The moly from the bullet will also coat your chrome lined barrel as they are fired. I personally like the higher BC of a moly round, delivering more energy at the terminal ballistics phase. But am actually thinking about going back to straight FMJ as moly is hard to clean out of a bore.

clytle374
08-01-2008, 12:02 AM
I have been looking for firs hand info on this but haven't found anything.

Swaging car be very accurate, and cold formed metal has advantages. But I don't know how good this thing is.

Doktor_Jeep
08-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Jacketed bullets are a must for rifles. Surely you can find old bolt actions that used cast bullets, but a modern high powered rifle imparts a spin as such a cast bullet will fly apart.

You can add tin or other allows to hard cast, but that is not reliable.

And a gas-powered gun will eventually choke on the lead deposites.

clytle374
08-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Jacketed bullets are a must for rifles. Surely you can find old bolt actions that used cast bullets, but a modern high powered rifle imparts a spin as such a cast bullet will fly apart.

You can add tin or other allows to hard cast, but that is not reliable.

And a gas-powered gun will eventually choke on the lead deposites.

I had never heard the part about flying apart, but just hte friction from the velocities of most rifles will cause trouble.

You mentioned picking up 22LR, is this (http://www.corbins.com/prrfjm.htm) what you are doing? Looks like it goes in a normal reloading press. Anyone have experience wit this?

Maz2331
08-01-2008, 06:28 PM
The Corbin stuff is nice, but the bullets made from .22 LR cases are not really going to shoot very well. The jacket is brass and a bit too hard and thin, and may have minor dimensional inconsistencies that throw their balance off a bit.

Jackets drawn at the proper thickness and from better materials could be really accurate.

Doktor_Jeep
09-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Now THIS is one piece of King of the Reloaders gear.

http://www.corbins.com/prchp-1.htm

Pericles
09-03-2008, 08:28 PM
What a machine! I could start my own munitions plant.....