PDA

View Full Version : Guess who wrote my Economics & Policy Analysis course textbook?

Conza88
07-29-2008, 04:44 AM
So... guess who wrote my Economics & Policy Analysis course textbook?

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/hotproperty/bernanke-helicopter.jpg

Yea, co-author; our mate Helicopter BB.

For moral reasons I have refused to purchase it. Since the course has a monopoly on textbooks, they also charge like $100 for it. I'd be directly paying a portion of douche bag bernanke's wages, or whatever he got for the contract.

I had a chat to my lecturer after the first class. Asked him if he knew anything about Austrian economics? He proceeded to ask if I was from Austria... Haha... *facepalm* then I mentioned, there's keynesian, chicago.. austrian.. he had a little side talk about Hayek being chicago... And the course being Keynesian and a little Chicago.

I was double hand face palming the entire way through the lecture,.. especially the parts on Inflation.. I think he might have noticed.. Hhaha :D

Anyway, my tutors are either going to love me or hate me.. ;) Sucks to be them... :p Would you like some guy pointing out everything you've learnt and paid $$$$ for to get a masters / phd has been a lie? :D

Comments / advice / own stories? :D

Strike-Fighter
07-29-2008, 04:52 AM
I applaud you greatly and hope you do not fail that class for the doubtless drama you will cause

noxagol
07-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Good luck. You sound like me in my classes. Had a go about with my biology teacher about smoking and the LOGICALLY way to think about its effects on people regarding first hand and second and smoke.

Ozwest
07-29-2008, 05:19 AM

For moral reasons I have refused to purchase it. Since the course has a monopoly on textbooks, they also charge like $100 for it. I'd be directly paying a portion of douche bag bernanke's wages, or whatever he got for the contract.

I had a chat to my lecturer after the first class. Asked him if he knew anything about Austrian economics? He proceeded to ask if I was from Austria... Haha... *facepalm* then I mentioned, there's keynesian, chicago.. austrian.. he had a little side talk about Hayek being chicago... And the course being Keynesian and a little Chicago.

I was double hand face palming the entire way through the lecture,.. especially the parts on Inflation.. I think he might have noticed.. Hhaha :D

Anyway, my tutors are either going to love me or hate me.. ;) Sucks to be them... :p Would you like some guy pointing out everything you've learnt and paid $$$$ for to get a masters / phd has been a lie? :D

Find another tutor, or switch schools.

No sense studying under a Boob.

Conza88
07-29-2008, 05:26 AM
Find another tutor, or switch schools.

No sense studying under a Boob.

Yea I woke up after I had enrolled... dual degree, and I am just more than half way through. I was going to do honours etc.. but I don't think I'm going to stick around to do that. We've got an austrian economics course here in Aus atm? :)

Should maybe go entrepreneur and set one up? :D Can't be any worse than teaching people lies... :D

Ozwest
07-29-2008, 05:28 AM
Conza88,

You are in a temporary incarceration facility.

malkusm
07-29-2008, 05:33 AM
I wish you luck. I would have challenged my professor a lot more if I didn't go to a huge school where my econ class was about 700 students.

"So you see, America has a progressive tax, and this means that each successive dollar gives less utility to those who are rich, which allows them to be taxed higher at the same utility, redistributing the wealth...."

"So you see, these negative externalities are not accounted for by the free market, and must be properly corrected through taxation in accordance with their burden on society...."

Be prepared, if you've never taken an Econ class, to hear some pretty ridiculous things - especially in such a liberal nanny state as Australia.

Ozwest
07-29-2008, 06:10 AM
I wish you luck. I would have challenged my professor a lot more if I didn't go to a huge school where my econ class was about 700 students.

"So you see, America has a progressive tax, and this means that each successive dollar gives less utility to those who are rich, which allows them to be taxed higher at the same utility, redistributing the wealth...."

"So you see, these negative externalities are not accounted for by the free market, and must be properly corrected through taxation in accordance with their burden on society...."

Be prepared, if you've never taken an Econ class, to hear some pretty ridiculous things - especially in such a liberal nanny state as Australia.

Touche!

Gotta love a Nanny State.

My entire schooling was done in the U.S.

I made my money in Australia, and bashed and fought against governmental and bureaucratic malingerers my whole life.

It is a pity that a "so called" non progressive Country is worth .97 cents on the dollar, and about to surpass.

I guess that's what corporate fascism can do.

gilliganscorner
07-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Conza,

You have a great opportunity to pull a great stunt off in this class. Look for ways that you can present a project or assignment to the class. You see where I am going? You know what to write about :)

Invalidate the Prof's credentials. Not by words. By action. Make him realize that all those letters hanging off his name merely measure the extent of his pro-State indoctrination/brainwashing - and wake the class up.

You rock.

down-under
07-29-2008, 11:07 AM
There is hope guys, my uni in OZ has the Revolution: a manifesto book and someone is currently loaning it :D
While I'm not doing economics as a major I have done several economic units and have always tried to challenge the tutors in the tutorials when they come up with neo-keynesian and pro-regulation rethoric.

The studies of economics in Australia is a bit of a joke, even my sociallist prone home country of Spain provides better opportunities for the study of Austrian school economics as there is a masters degree of austrian school economics in an important uni on Madrid imparted by a good austrian economist called Jesus huerta de Soto.

Ozwest
07-29-2008, 11:15 AM
There is hope guys, my uni in OZ has the Revolution: a manifesto book and someone is currently loaning it :D
While I'm not doing economics as a major I have done several economic units and have always tried to challenge the tutors in the tutorials when they come up with neo-keynesian and pro-regulation rethoric.

The studies of economics in Australia is a bit of a joke, even my sociallist prone home country of Spain provides better opportunities for the study of Austrian school economics as there is a masters degree of austrian school economics in an important uni on Madrid imparted by a good austrian economist called Jesus huerta de Soto.

Which Uni mate?

Australia - Austria...

What's the difference? :D

Chiznaddy
07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
I studied economics in college too. had huge lecture halls for 400+. always thought everything i was learning was illogical. did well, but thought it was BS. not till Ron Paul and subsequently learning about Austrian economics did I realize why my Keynsian education was crap. although its good to know it so i can debate the keynsians better.

Ron Paul should start his own Austrian school in economics. i know there are a couple good programs that specialize in Austrian economics, but not many. how about a school with a JD/MBA program in Austrian economics and constitutional law. That would get me back to school!

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Well it's obvious Austrian econ thought would not be discussed in this class because there'd be no policy to analyze.

Appeal top your dept. chair or professor's pride and let him know having only one school of thought taught in his class is tantamount to brainwashing and is an injustice against academic intellectual freedom.

down-under
07-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Which Uni mate?

Australia - Austria...

What's the difference? :D

Curtin University in Perth.
Link to the book:
http://opac.library.curtin.edu.au/F/BUK2I1QX14ALHG112ILPA7U54XDCBULKLNMTXY86K43G7KM81I-61040?func=full-set-set&set_number=128692&set_entry=000002&format=999

Look on the "notes" written probably by one of the library stuff members:

Congressman Ron Paul (TX-R)--presidential candidate, popular ideologue, debate favorite, and creator of one of the largest grassroots campaigns in history--sets forth his revolutionary manifesto and challenges America to make the tough changes needed to survive.

Ozwest
07-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Curtin University in Perth.
Link to the book:
http://opac.library.curtin.edu.au/F/BUK2I1QX14ALHG112ILPA7U54XDCBULKLNMTXY86K43G7KM81I-61040?func=full-set-set&set_number=128692&set_entry=000002&format=999

Look on the "notes" written probably by one of the library stuff members:

Congressman Ron Paul (TX-R)--presidential candidate, popular ideologue, debate favorite, and creator of one of the largest grassroots campaigns in history--sets forth his revolutionary manifesto and challenges America to make the tough changes needed to survive.

Blood oath!

I ran a business in Perth for 15 years.

I'm 2 hours down the road in Bunbury now.

Can't wait for summer!

yongrel
07-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Conza, it could be worse. Much worse. From my school's 2008-2009 course catalog:

"The Department of Economics adopts a pluralistic approach to economics education which focuses on Keynesian and neoclassical economics, and includes institutional economics as well as the political economy. International economic issues receive special emphasis, as do such socially-important topics as the economics of gender. The Keynesian and neoclassical traditions form the core of the economic theory that our majors are expected to master."

And this is why I'm not an econ major.

AJ Antimony
07-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Don't worry, I personally learned more about economics from the Ron Paul campaign than I ever did from my semester class.

Conza88
07-29-2008, 08:15 PM

Hahah.. holy crap! :D
I just shifted through pages for about 15 min to find my uni's book suggestion form... ;) Foreign Policy of Freedom is for starters.. next was:

Author : Ron Paul
Title : Revolution: A Manifesto
Publisher : Grand Central Publishing
Year of Publication : 2008
Additional Information : New York Times No. 1 best seller... and remained on the top ten list for several months. Exceedingly important to political, business, government, international studies and economics students.

;)

Well it's obvious Austrian econ thought would not be discussed in this class because there'd be no policy to analyze.

Appeal top your dept. chair or professor's pride and let him know having only one school of thought taught in his class is tantamount to brainwashing and is an injustice against academic intellectual freedom.

Haha.. didn't look at it from that way. :D

You could easily analyse why there would be no need for analysis though? :cool:

Conza, it could be worse. Much worse. From my school's 2008-2009 course catalog:

"The Department of Economics adopts a pluralistic approach to economics education which focuses on Keynesian and neoclassical economics, and includes institutional economics as well as the political economy. International economic issues receive special emphasis, as do such socially-important topics as the economics of gender. The Keynesian and neoclassical traditions form the core of the economic theory that our majors are expected to master."

And this is why I'm not an econ major.

Oh dear lord... they actually mention economics of gender.. Geezus.. :eek:

Conza88
07-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Don't worry, I personally learned more about economics from the Ron Paul campaign than I ever did from my semester class.

As have I... LOL, listening to pretty much the entire Mises Media section (several weeks and still going) does.. wonders :D

Time to spread the message ;)

Conza88
08-04-2008, 07:40 AM
So.... my other subject I'm doing is... GUESS?...

Government Business Relations... lmfao.. :eek:
I wonder what happens when you pretty much reject the entire premise of the course? :D
Anyway... checking it out.. preparing for a real bastard of a time.. and here is part of the course assignment:

Briefing:
You are a political lobbyist and have been contracted by a leading firm, business association or non-business stakeholder to prepare a word business submission promoting the interests of one of your client’s in relation to a government review of one of the policy issues listed below. To assist you with this exercise, names of potential clients have been suggested. However you may prepare a submission on behalf of another relevant party of your choosing.

Policy Issues (Business Submission Questions):

1. The Legal Drinking Age
There has been recent extensive discussion about the apparent rise in binge drinking among young people. Some members of the community have suggested raising the age at which alcohol can legally be consumed from 18 to 21 years of age. The Federal Government is considering implementing legislation to change the law in line with this suggestion. Prepare a submission either supporting or opposing the idea. Think about the impact of any regulations on business and society. You may represent one of the following clients:

• Australian Medical Association
• The Business Council of Australia
• Australian Hotels’ Association
• The Liquor, Hospitality, and Miscellaneous Union (LHMU)

2. Poker Machine Addiction
A significant number of people are addicted to gambling on poker machines. This can have a considerable negative impact on families and individuals’ wellbeing. State governments currently receive large amounts of tax from the clubs that earn the revenue from the machines, and are therefore reluctant to act. The Federal Government is initiating an Inquiry into the matter, and your job is to present a submission to the government on what it should do in relation to this problem. In preparing your submission, you should consider the problem presented by the States’ reliance on tax revenues earned by the clubs. You may represent one of the following clients:

• Australian Hotels’ Association
• Gamblers’ Anonymous
• Australian Pensioners and Superannuants’ Association
• Bronco’s Leagues Club

3. Regulation of Air Travel on Environmental Grounds
Global warming is becoming an increasingly urgent issue for governments to address, and drastic options need to be considered. Emissions from aircraft have been identified as a significant source of Greenhouse Gases. The Federal Government has established an inquiry to examine possible options in relation to curbing the contribution of aircraft pollution to Global Warming. Your task is to present a submission suggesting possible policy options to the Government. You may consider options such as tighter regulations on the number of times consumers and business people are allowed to travel per year, or the destinations to which people are permitted to travel. There may also be competitive inefficiencies between aircraft carriers that mean more flights are being made at less than full capacity. Your submission may be on behalf of one of the following clients:

• Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
• Qantas
• Virgin Blue
• Greenpeace

Hahah... wonder which one would be most fun.. :D
LOL.. don't think the markers would have read too many, if any, papers that are going to be suggesting what I am..

For crying out loud.. talk about fascism... look at their damn suggestions in the questions... :eek:

"You may consider options such as tighter regulations on the destinations to which people are permitted to travel." :eek:

The_Orlonater
08-04-2008, 11:01 AM
College is really like that..wow.

I'm going to study Austrian and Keynsian economics like crazy before college.

aspiringconstitutionalist
08-04-2008, 01:26 PM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59/swohioue/benbernankeyes.jpg

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm sure the Queen approved your syllabus.

bucfish
08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I could never stomach my college brainwashing. Except for a few exceptions, Logic, Ethics, Math courses, American History (I owned that course), and Business Management. Other than that I had to quit could not take the collectivist brainwashing that the professors spewed. Literally drove me mad!

johnrocks
08-04-2008, 01:48 PM
I would purchase as many Austrian Economic books as I could,study them hard and make the semester a living hell for that professor. Fight fire with fire!

yongrel
08-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I would purchase as many Austrian Economic books as I could,study them hard and make the semester a living hell for that professor. Fight fire with fire!

Fighting the professor is a really good way to fail a class.

johnrocks
08-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Fighting the professor is a really good way to fail a class.

lol,true but I was not talking about literally fighting him but questioning him throughly using Austrian theory on money supply etc.:p

yongrel
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
lol,true but I was not talking about literally fighting him but questioning him throughly using Austrian theory on money supply etc.:p

I speak from experience when I say that's almost always a bad idea.

08-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I speak from experience when I say that's almost always a bad idea.

Heh, I did it to my hardcore Keynesian prof in Money, Banking, & Financial Markets class for an entire quarter. I came out of the class with an A and a 100% on the final paper (which I chose to write on why the entire Federal Reserve system should be abolished and replaced with a free market banking system). I think he actually appreciated a student who thought critically about the concepts he was teaching and didn't just zombie-shuffle their way through the class.

johnrocks
08-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Heh, I did it to my hardcore Keynesian Money & Banking professor for an entire quarter. I came out of the class with an A and a 100% on the final paper (which I chose to write on why the entire Federal Reserve system should be abolished and replaced with a free market banking system). I think he actually appreciated a student who thought critically about the concepts he was teaching and didn't just zombie-shuffle their way through the class.

I guess I was lucky, I got my degree where the Professors were more "old school". I was actually taught that a bloated money supply causes inflation. I cringe everytime I hear someone say high prices are the cause....that's the result,not the cause!:mad:

08-04-2008, 02:43 PM
How about he actually learns what the professor is teaching him, whether it be Keynesian Chicago or anything else, it doesn't hurt to actually know about these teachings.

Who says you can't do that and challenge the professor at the same time?

Ben Bernanke was opposed to the fed, before he became fed chairman.

Huh? I don't think Ben has ever been anti-Fed. You might be thinking of Alan Greenspan, who used to be a gold standard guy back in the 60's.

dannno
08-04-2008, 06:21 PM

I read that book a few months ago for an economics course, I'm currently working on my Master's degree in Systems Management.

There is still a red hand mark on my forehead. That book is filled with red and yellow colors, it looks like a friggin fast food joint.

Anyway, it's not all that bad reading about that stuff, because knowing what you know it just reaffirms everything, lets you see where the holes in there theories are and allows you to address people who have studied economics in a more intelligent way. The worst part was knowing that part of the $$ was going to helicopter Ben.

kigol
08-04-2008, 06:26 PM
lol

Conza88
08-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Heh, I did it to my hardcore Keynesian prof in Money, Banking, & Financial Markets class for an entire quarter. I came out of the class with an A and a 100% on the final paper (which I chose to write on why the entire Federal Reserve system should be abolished and replaced with a free market banking system). I think he actually appreciated a student who thought critically about the concepts he was teaching and didn't just zombie-shuffle their way through the class.

Yea I did really well last semester... and nothing actually changed except my opinion / philosophy on things... (because of this movement) if you're reading... a few hundred papers.. all spewing the same shit... if you suddenly get something logical, and different - it makes it stand out.. So hopefully they don't get too offended / personal with it :D

I can always lodge an application for a panel to see it and remark :cool:

Haha... first tutorial discussion questions..

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
1. Which definition of politics do you prefer and why? (Politics as Power - Machiavelli, Politics as Public Life - Politics encompasses “public life” or “public affairs” (though see ‘Robinson Crusoe’ debate) or Politics as Struggle - Marxism – politics as class struggle)
2. Do human beings need government in order to live together peacefully?
3. Where would you place yourself on the Left-Right political spectrum?

Lol... question 3 I PLAN to do a diagram on a whiteboard if there is one... and explain the false left - right paradigm.. and how it box holes the discussion - allowing only for the expansion of government. Then I'll offer the real alternative... :D Yeahh.. first class, so that may be a bit too much.. taking over the tute for a bit is maybe pushing it on the first day... hahah ;)

Deborah K
08-04-2008, 07:56 PM

God, I love you!!! Got get um!!

powerofreason
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Lol... question 3 I PLAN to do a diagram on a whiteboard if there is one... and explain the false left - right paradigm.. and how it box holes the discussion - allowing only for the expansion of government. Then I'll offer the real alternative... :D Yeahh.. first class, so that may be a bit too much.. taking over the tute for a bit is maybe pushing it on the first day... hahah ;)

How are you planning to answer question 2? :)

Conza88
08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
How are you planning to answer question 2? :)

Hahaha!!! :D

Do human beings need government in order to live together peacefully?

Well.... I can't coercively make people watch The Proof of Anarchy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIs5r3ujBmw).... ;) Or, could I?

http://www.tanmonkey.com/fun/cat-robbery.jpg

:cool:

Hehe.. well I'll be answering 'no', probably depending on my mood or the vibe of the class though will determine the extend as too how far I go.. haha :D

Basically, I'd point out the role of government should be negative. The proper role of government is to protect the life, liberty and property of its people. But then with an educated public anarchy could be achieved. I guess my aim would be to establish what anarchy really means... because you know right now.. someones going to mention "without the government there would be chaos" & attribute it to anarchy.

:confused: I'm always open to suggestions on how to better present arguments etc.. so all are welcome to commentz :D

Conza88
08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Do human beings need government in order to live together peacefully?

:confused: I'm always open to suggestions on how to better present arguments etc.. so all are welcome to commentz :D

Thought came to me as I was getting ready... you've always got to question the premises with the socialists..

The premise being - having government means humans can live peacefully together.

The best question to respond with is; so can humans live peacefully WITH government...?!!!! :D

powerofreason
08-04-2008, 09:56 PM
The best question to respond with is; so can humans live peacefully WITH government...?!!!! :D

Well said :D

I can see why you wouldn't want to have that argument in your average commie leftist college classroom. Could get heated if you had to defend that position in class, hehe.

The_Orlonater
08-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh, I can't wait until I'm in college. I'll be doing the same stuff, hopefully the Obama presidency will be over by then. :cool:

Conza88
08-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Ok just got back from the first tute... introductions (interests, hobbies, course etc) only organizing semester, no course work yet.
Haha.. anyway it went like this..

Introductions etc then I mentioned.. 'I'm interested in Austrian Economics..'

Tutor: Ohh reallly... why Austria?

Me: Well.. it actually has nothing to do with Austria, except that's where the founding fathers of it came from.. like you know, Chicago economics originated in Chicago with Milton...

Tutor: Ohh ok, so it's like Chicago economics?

Me: Well no... you have Keynesian and Chicago economic schools of thought, then there is also Austrian. It's not too well known...

Tutor: Ahh ok. I never did too well in my economic classes..

Me: Why does that not surprise me... *thinking*

Yea anyway; should be fun regardless.. doesn't seem to be any nuts in there. Participation marks + got to give a short 5 minute oral on the topic.. I got the slot for first up - plus it's next week covering those questions posed... hahah you can do powerpoints etc, but he asked too not go overboard..

Anyway.. 5 minute presentation on the false left right paradigm should wake some these people up to that concept.. :D

Also got handed a little sheet, had to write what our views on politics at the start of the course are... then we will probably compare at the end. Hahah.. :rolleyes:

What I wrote: :)

Participating in it legitimizes the state - Leo Tolstoy
Democracy is bad (Paraphrasing Socrates) (Pure democracy - mob rule)
"Government is best which governs not at all" - Thoreau
The proper role of government is to protect the life, liberty and property of its people. - Frederik Bastiat

I wonder if my opinions will change :D

Hangly Man
08-05-2008, 01:17 AM
If Keynesian economics isn't discredited by now I'd like to know why.

gilliganscorner
08-05-2008, 06:30 AM
Well said :D

I can see why you wouldn't want to have that argument in your average commie leftist college classroom. Could get heated if you had to defend that position in class, hehe.

1) If people are naturally good, you don't need government. If people are bad or apathetic, you don't dare create one.

2) If you ever need a working example of successful anarchy, cite the Internet. Anybody can have a media station at almost no cost of entry:

Price of domain name registration which is, what, $10/year @ Netnation.com.
Price of ISP connection to internet from home. Varies, but often is cheaper than cable. Or you can go to a library and use it for free.
Price of software? From free (opensource) to whatever. I.e. Content Managment Systems, Blogging and Forum software. Whatever you need. Free.
Price of computer? From free to really, really expensive.

Being able to reach millions of people to discuss ideas, post Youtube videos that expose truth, change minds, win hearts, rally and organize without mainstream media suppression for next to nothing?

Priceless.

malkusm
08-05-2008, 06:37 AM
1) If people are naturally good, you don't need government. If people are bad or apathetic, you don't dare create one.

2) If you ever need a working example of successful anarchy, cite the Internet. Anybody can have a media station at almost no cost of entry:

Price of domain name registration which is, what, $10/year @ Netnation.com.
Price of ISP connection to internet from home. Varies, but often is cheaper than cable. Or you can go to a library and use it for free.
Price of software? From free (opensource) to whatever. I.e. Content Managment Systems, Blogging and Forum software. Whatever you need. Free.
Price of computer? From free to really, really expensive.

Being able to reach millions of people to discuss ideas, post Youtube videos that expose truth, change minds, win hearts, rally and organize without mainstream media suppression for next to nothing?

Priceless.

And it's funny, the businesses don't flat out fail or need government to tell them how to design their web pages, how they can or cannot advertise, etc. How is it possible? :rolleyes:

gilliganscorner
08-05-2008, 06:41 AM
And it's funny, the businesses don't flat out fail or need government to tell them how to design their web pages, how they can or cannot advertise, etc. How is it possible? :rolleyes:

What's even funnier...or not...is now that the Internet is really, really, really successful, it must now be regulated. :rolleyes:

Mussolini was once said something along the lines of "Now that our civilization has advanced so far, it is ready for socialism." Anyone laugh? It was precisely due to the absence of socialism that allowed it to advance that far...

Conza88
08-05-2008, 08:51 AM
If Keynesian economics isn't discredited by now I'd like to know why.

Oh.. it has been.. much like socialism though; 'government ownership and operation of the means of production' the bastard still hangs around, even after the fall of the Berlin Wall... and the collapse of the Soviet Union (97% public owner property, 3% privately owned) - the state needs Keynesian economics.. and all its fallacies. :mad:

What reallly pisses me off when Klein says they "were just kicked when they were down..." *angry facepalm*

Ahh yes, thanks - that's a good one. :D

Mussolini was once said something along the lines of "Now that our civilization has advanced so far, it is ready for socialism." Anyone laugh? It was precisely due to the absence of socialism that allowed it to advance that far...

Makes me want to cry... :(

LittleLightShining
08-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Ok, wait a second... The tutor from your economics class said "Ahh ok. I never did too well in my economic classes.."

I've got to be missing something here.

Conza88
08-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Ok, wait a second... The tutor from your economics class said "Ahh ok. I never did too well in my economic classes.."

I've got to be missing something here.

Haha I probably wasn't clear enough.. I started talking about my Government Business Relations class... that tutor said that. :)

He worked in government for several years apparently... not to sure to what extent, I think it was in the bureaucracy... Obviously he has no qualms working for the state... :(

LittleLightShining
08-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Ohhh, ok. Phew.

Conza88
08-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Ohhh, ok. Phew.

Hahah but... it's not like my economics teacher is any better! :D

V4Vendetta
08-05-2008, 09:48 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/Troyg19/palm.jpg

LOL

Last time I used this, was when I heard that Jesse Benton was marrying Valori.

Conza88
08-18-2008, 04:33 AM
"Is the best single economic indicator, Real GDP?" "Why, or why not?"

Something I was asked in my eco class. (text book q)

So thought's? :)

Truth Warrior
08-18-2008, 05:41 AM
Nope, just tell em what they want to hear, get your grade and move on. ;)

:D

Conza88
08-18-2008, 05:57 AM
I'm actually wondering though... what is the single best economic indicator? :confused:

Bradley in DC
08-18-2008, 06:05 AM
I'm actually wondering though... what is the single best economic indicator? :confused:

The government shouldn't be collecting these stats at all--they just use them for planning! ;)

Truth Warrior
08-18-2008, 06:08 AM
If Keynesian economics isn't discredited by now I'd like to know why. Because TPTB and the banksters like it. ;)

Conza88
08-18-2008, 06:11 AM
The government shouldn't be collecting these stats at all--they just use them for planning! ;)

Hahaha :D I like that answer... lmao :)

I forgotz to check the premise :(

Conza88
08-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Government Business Relations...

Required Viewings and Readings:
1. YouTube - NoLogo Book Trailer (No Logo by Naomi Klein) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lTaiHhqBn8)
2. Excerpt from No Logo, available at: No Logo by Naomi Klein (part I) | Books | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2000/nov/27/firstchapters.extract)
3. YouTube - The Road to Serfdom (http://youtube.com/watch?v=12oFhO3UZdU) (A still version of this booklet is available at: The Illustrated Road to Serfdom (http://mises.org/books/TRTS/))

The Illustrated Road to Serfdom is located at Mises.org... :eek: Hope people check the rest out.

Tutorial discussion question:
Does government have any business telling business what to do (for example, trying to set limits on the power and practices of big corporations in line with Klein’s ‘No Logo’ argument)? Or is Hayek right that government interference in economic life leads to ‘serfdom’ or totalitarian rule?

What say you? :)

Conza88
09-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Any chance I could get some help? :)

For a tute...

How have corporations become so powerful?

But more importantly; I have narrowed down to what I want to do my assignment on. It's a policy submission; about Legal Age limit.... OR I can do an assignment about Government and Business below... same word limit (REAL small - first year subject)... so it's frustratingly 1500 words.. (So.... no point mentioning praxeology etc etc.. ahaha :confused:)

1. The Legal Drinking Age

There has been recent extensive discussion about the apparent rise in binge drinking among young people. Some members of the community have suggested raising the age at which alcohol can legally be consumed from 18 to 21 years of age. The Federal Government is considering implementing legislation to change the law in line with this suggestion. Prepare a submission either supporting or opposing the idea. Think about the impact of any regulations on business and society.
So.... :D

1. Does government enable or constrain business?
or
2. Should government stay out of business?

In terms of the structure of the essay, it is very important that you have a clear introduction that sets out what argument you are making and how you intend to make it. The body will consist of arguments and evidence in support of your position, while the conclusion restates the arguments and offers some observations based on your research.

What arguments should I / could I use for the essays and legal age limits?

Wondering what books / segments would be best to answer in 1500-2000 words... why government should not intervene in business...

And wondering what I should limit the sections covered too... :eek:

Helpz me :( thanks

inibo
09-01-2008, 06:48 AM

Give 'em hell.

Conza88
09-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Give 'em hell.

:D I've skipped the last few lectures, they start at 8am. Still haven't bought the book (not going too) , you can get it on reserve loan for 2hrs max - I then take it to the tute; having done the course work in the hour before it started. I'm pretty much the only competent person in the class, in terms of economic understanding... the tutor goes to everyone asking the set out q's and once they've all failed... he asks me, and gets the right answer... Hahaha rather amusing from my stand point.

Pretty much got my credibility sealed, week 5 now... so I'll start shooting some reality the classes way :D

revolutionman
09-01-2008, 07:09 AM
do us proud!! Take the windbags to school!!