PDA

View Full Version : My hopes for Minnesota went up in flames

Sematary
07-28-2008, 11:00 PM
I was hoping the memorabilia auction would be the launching pad for the funds I needed to cover my time off and my expenses. The auction went for $26
So much for Minnesota. I'm asking the high bidder to please not ask me to send these priceless items at that price.

princessredtights
07-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm sorry, man - :(

I don't much about auctions but I thought there was a way you could have a minimum bid - if it doesn't go for at least $xxx.xx then the auction doesn't go forward ... ???

(Maybe I dreamed that ... I dunno) ...

torchbearer
07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm sorry, man - :(

I don't much about auctions but I thought there was a way you could have a minimum bid - if it doesn't go for at least $xxx.xx then the auction doesn't go forward ... ???

(Maybe I dreamed that ... I dunno) ...

you are right, its called a "Reserve" price.
if he didn't specify a reserve, he technically owes the purchaser his good.
I wouldn't hold my breathe on charity. if someone bid on the item, they probably want it.

Jeremy
07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I thought you were the guy who said you would get signatures for the Barr campaign to get money? Or was that someone else?...

Mark
07-29-2008, 12:32 AM
you are right, its called a "Reserve" price.
if he didn't specify a reserve, he technically owes the purchaser his good.
I wouldn't hold my breathe on charity. if someone bid on the item, they probably want it.

You have to believe. :D

I didn't want to see them go to a stranger at that low price, so I kept the top bid.

I wrote to him that maybe he should pick a minimum price that he would let them go for without breaking his heart too much,
and then promote it around some more before the actual auction.

The book itself sells for $13.57 at Amazon, that only left $12.43 for the rest of it.

I couldn't let that happen to him.

SeanEdwards
07-29-2008, 12:35 AM
You can always try bank robbery.

Scratch that idea, I momentarily forgot that the banks are all failing.

:D

Mark
07-29-2008, 12:40 AM
I did kind of want a copy of the USA Today since I worked on the copy so much and they were gone around here before I could get one.

One thing I'm concerned about, does anyone know if Ebay follows up to make sure the trade is made so that they get their commission?

I just want to make sure it won't automatically go to the next highest bidder if we don't perform some kind of transaction.

GunnyFreedom
07-29-2008, 12:45 AM
You have to believe. :D

I didn't want to see them go to a stranger, so I kept the top bid.

I wrote to him that maybe he should pick a minimum price that he would let them go for without breaking his heart too much,
and then promote it around some more before the actual auction.

The book itself sells for $13.57 at Amazon, that only left $12.43 for the rest of it.

I couldn't let that happen to him.

At every turn you continue to prove to just be an all around awesome guy. :cool:

You sow graciousness, and you will likewise reap graciousness. Seriously, God bless you!

PS - this was the guy who helped fund my campaigning trip to Alabama for Super Tuesday. We didn't get the votes we wanted (too many people locked into the "I have to vote against so-and-so" mentality) but we woke a L O T of folks up.

And I do not exaggerate in saying that we were accompanied my miracles. I have witnesses!

GunnyFreedom
07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
I did kind of want a copy of the USA Today since I worked on the copy so much and they were gone around here before I could get one.

One thing I'm concerned about, does anyone know if Ebay follows up to make sure the trade is made so that they get their commission?

I just want to make sure it won't automatically go to the next highest bidder if we don't perform some kind of transaction.

No, the buyer and seller ratings take place wholly between the buyer and the seller.

RickyJ
07-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Your hopes of going have not went up in flames. I heard someone from Massachusetts was going and could pick someone up on the way. Now you just have to cover your salary while gone. A second job for a while could accomplish that.

invisible
07-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Bummer. I have an (extra, luckily!) autographed copy of Foreign Policy Of Freedom I was gonna sell on ebay to help finance (in a roundabout way) moving to a state without real id. Hopefully the prices on those didn't collapse - I'll have to start watching and seeing if they're still bringing the $$ that they were 6 months ago. Torch, dosen't ebay base your listing fee on the reserve price if you have a low starting bid? Been a while since I've been there, heard they changed a lot of stuff around to screw the sellers.

Danke
07-29-2008, 02:55 AM

ebay gets their cut either way. You do not need to follow through on this one and buy the items. He can re-list them with a reserve next time.

Sematary
07-29-2008, 05:40 AM

Thanks for that. I do have an extra of the USA Today ad, tho.
pm me your mailing address. I'll send it to you. Thanks again.

Sematary
07-29-2008, 05:41 AM
I thought you were the guy who said you would get signatures for the Barr campaign to get money? Or was that someone else?...

Ya, I'm doing the signatures but I won't see any money in time for this event. I figured out the timeline and by the time the Sec. of State certifies the signatures - well, you get the idea.
Such is life. I'll still be working on stuff here - like defeating REAL ID. :-)

Sematary
07-29-2008, 05:44 AM
Your hopes of going have not went up in flames. I heard someone from Massachusetts was going and could pick someone up on the way. Now you just have to cover your salary while gone. A second job for a while could accomplish that.

I already work over 50 hours a week. I don't really see that happening.
I will survive. I may be disappointed but there is work for Liberty to be done here in Ct.

Sematary
07-29-2008, 05:46 AM
ebay gets their cut either way. You do not need to follow through on this one and buy the items. He can re-list them with a reserve next time.

I didn't really think a reserve was going to be necessary. Did you?
Besides, I hate those auctions. I hate bidding on something only to find out that I haven't met some arbitrary (or maybe not so arbitrary) price that I'm not allowed to know.

LittleLightShining
07-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Wow, Mark! You rock!

Sematary, I know I just saw a thread last night about someone driving from New England and offering a ride... I can't remember where but it will pop up again, I'm sure.

Sematary
07-29-2008, 05:56 AM
Wow, Mark! You rock!

Sematary, I know I just saw a thread last night about someone driving from New England and offering a ride... I can't remember where but it will pop up again, I'm sure.

As I said before - it's the weeks pay. There are buses and stuff being organized from New England as well, so transportation wasn't going to be the biggest issue.
If it were possible for me to work more hours than I already am then I would, but it's not. Since I'm already working well in excess of 50 hours just to pay my bills, I don't think a second job (even if I could find one that quick) is very feasible. It was worth the old college try, though. :-)

rancher89
07-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Don't give up dude, somehow, someway we will get you there. Did you create a chip in? If you do post it here and I'll throw a few bucks your way and we'll keep bumping it. We helped the guys out in Hawaii that way and Nevada also. I have a chip in for my expenses for the national convention and have raised about $150 (plus some cash shhhhh) every little bit helps. This is not to say that I want everyone to chip in here for me, I'd rather you support Sematary if you can. I created my back when we were supporting the guys out in Hawaii and mostly my family and a few local folks have chipped in, which is fine, I won't lose any wages, I've already bought and paid for my plane ticket, so on.

http://gopnationaldelegatesnc.chipin.com/pat-armstrongalt-delg

Sell blood, plasma.....

Jeremy
07-29-2008, 08:17 AM
I already work over 50 hours a week. I don't really see that happening.
I will survive. I may be disappointed but there is work for Liberty to be done here in Ct.

Tellllllllll me about it. The only Republican congressman in CT sounds like a democrat. And they're all globalists. And then we have to get rid of Lieberman. <.< And taxes are way too high here.

brandon
07-29-2008, 08:38 AM
As I said before - it's the weeks pay.

You don't need to miss a full week. Monday of that week is labor day, so I assume you would have off anyway. Take off for Tuesday and Wednesday, and you should be able to make it back in time for work on Thursday.

Sematary
07-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Don't give up dude, somehow, someway we will get you there. Did you create a chip in? If you do post it here and I'll throw a few bucks your way and we'll keep bumping it. We helped the guys out in Hawaii that way and Nevada also. I have a chip in for my expenses for the national convention and have raised about $150 (plus some cash shhhhh) every little bit helps. This is not to say that I want everyone to chip in here for me, I'd rather you support Sematary if you can. I created my back when we were supporting the guys out in Hawaii and mostly my family and a few local folks have chipped in, which is fine, I won't lose any wages, I've already bought and paid for my plane ticket, so on.

Sell blood, plasma.....

I do have a chip in. It's in my sig. LONG way to go though. I'd hate for people to chip in and me come up hundreds and hundreds of dollars short then have to go back and return all those donations. I thought it might be a good idea at first but....

Sematary
07-29-2008, 09:01 AM
You don't need to miss a full week. Monday of that week is labor day, so I assume you would have off anyway. Take off for Tuesday and Wednesday, and you should be able to make it back in time for work on Thursday.

No paid days off. No holiday pay. No vacation pay. No sick time. The only day that I "normally" have off in this time period is Sunday, the 2nd. Realistically, I would have to miss Thursday, Friday, Sat, Mon and probably Tues depending on the actual travel plans.
It is what it is, my friend. I work a job that is dependent upon tips for my income and those types of jobs don't give you time off at their expense.

rancher89
07-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Dude, make the chip in bigger in your sig, I don't usually read sigs unless they are really eye catching....

just threw $50 bucks your way--you will make it to MN one way or another......

Sematary
07-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Dude, make the chip in bigger in your sig, I don't usually read sigs unless they are really eye catching....

just threw $50 bucks your way--you will make it to MN one way or another......

Thankyou for the donation. You gave me hope. :-)

rancher89
07-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Thankyou for the donation. You gave me hope. :-)

You are quite welcome!!

Sematary
07-29-2008, 01:20 PM
You are quite welcome!!

Now, hopefully, some others will follow your lead. I really do appreciate it. I have some other things I can sell but I know what their approx. value is so I'll have to wait and see how close I am in a couple of weeks before deciding to part with them.

qh4dotcom
07-29-2008, 01:32 PM
How about letting the credit card you bought the event tickets with help you cover the Minneapolis expenses? If you don't go what will happen to the tickets?

Knightskye
07-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Maybe you could buy it back from the buyer at a low price and try selling it again?

phoenixrising
07-29-2008, 03:24 PM
No paid days off. No holiday pay. No vacation pay. No sick time. The only day that I "normally" have off in this time period is Sunday, the 2nd. Realistically, I would have to miss Thursday, Friday, Sat, Mon and probably Tues depending on the actual travel plans.
It is what it is, my friend. I work a job that is dependent upon tips for my income and those types of jobs don't give you time off at their expense.

aloha sematary....

boy i remember those days!!! tips were the huge benie of the job....so i just gave you a little something towards your goal --now don't give up!!!! K? K!!!!

anything can happen :)

p.s.if you do anything on ebay again....make sure you put in a *reserve* + you may have better success doing your items one at a time -- skip the *bundling* :)

phoenixrising
07-29-2008, 03:29 PM

Sell blood, plasma.....

aloha rancher!

haven't been around for a while ...& glad i caught this thread!

& yes -- the hawai'i chip was awesome!!! (not to mention all the great photos that were posted by this creative group!!)

& what goes around comes around...so i was able to give you & sematary a *little* something. ...+ knowing i'll never make it from this far away ;(

hope everyone posts a LOT of updates from the rally!!!

rancher89
07-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Thank you so much, I hadn't gotten an update from chip in yet, so this is a nice surprise. Really I'm pretty much OK with expenses, it won't be as hard for me as it will be for others. Of course, the economy could crash and burn and my home business with it, but we won't go there!!!

Help Sematary, he should be there......

phoenixrising
07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Thank you so much, I hadn't gotten an update from chip in yet, so this is a nice surprise. Really I'm pretty much OK with expenses, it won't be as hard for me as it will be for others. Of course, the economy could crash and burn and my home business with it, but we won't go there!!!

Help Sematary, he should be there......

i did ;)