PDA

View Full Version : Bob Barr’s Campaign to Supporters: Send Cash—Quick!

RonPaulFanInGA
07-28-2008, 03:01 PM
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/07/28/bob-barrs-campaign-to-supporters-send-cashquick/

In perhaps the most desperate sounding e-mail solicitation yet this election cycle, third party Libertarian candidate Bob Barr’s campaign manager sent out a plea today to supporters to raise $15,000 each day this week—or else.

Under the subject line, “Have I said or done something to offend you?” Russ Verney writes, “You see, I have to report that unless we receive and immediate cash infusion of $85,000, our progress will stop dead in its tracks. To be very blunt, I am presently faced with bills equaling our bank account balance, and I know there are many more expenses on the horizon.”

According to the latest report with the Federal Election Commission, Barr’s campaign had just $69,000 cash on hand at the end of June, and he raised just under $200,000 last month.

Verney, who managed Ross Perot’s 1992 and 1996 presidential campaigns, wrote that Barr’s candidacy also presents a unique opportunity.

“I’ve heard it said that we are wasting our time and that we haven’t a chance of winning. That depends on how you define winning. If winning means balancing the budget, reducing government’s size, and advancing your privacy and civil rights then it isn’t required that Bob Barr win in November. What IS required is a strong showing - just like Ross Perot,” he wrote.

Unless Barr can improve his standing in national polls, he will be, well, barred from taking part in the presidential debates this fall. He has an uphill climb—a candidate must appear on enough state ballots to be mathematically eligible to win the 270 electoral votes needed to secure the presidency, and he must have a 15% standing in polls “as determined by five selected national public opinion polling organizations,” according to the Commission on Presidential Debates.

A former House member from Georgia, Barr was one of the Republicans who spear-headed the impeachment effort against former President Bill Clinton. He has since changed many of his political stripes—and party affiliation—but has gained little traction since announcing his bid in mid-May.

Part of Barr’s problem may be that his message of a “campaign to advance the causes of liberty, freedom and less government” has already been co-opted by Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul, who failed to secure his party’s nomination but became an Internet star with his grassroots appeal and fund-raising organization. Paul is hosting a three day “Rally for the Republic” event in Minneapolis that will coincide briefly with the Republican nominating convention in St. Paul in early September.

yongrel
07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
It'd be nice to see him in the debates.

Indy Vidual
07-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Only $15,000 per day...
Looks like a real Barrgain to me. :p

speciallyblend
07-28-2008, 05:51 PM
It'd be nice to see him in the debates.

i want to see him in the debates to, im not a big barr fan but plan on voting for the lp if the Republicans do not wake the f'in up!!!

so who is the new photo of, i wasn;t sure???

yongrel
07-28-2008, 05:56 PM
i want to see him in the debates to, im not a big barr fan but plan on voting for the lp if the Republicans do not wake the f'in up!!!

so who is the new photo of, i wasn;t sure???

I can't think of a single act or event that would do more for the movement than Barr being in the debates, but I still plan on voting for RP.

The new avatar is Joss Whedon. (Since switching from Arnold Vinick, my sig always corresponds with my avatar :D)

rich34
07-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Honestly, imo, It would take Ron Paul himself sending out an email, or endorsing Barr on tv before he could possibly begin to raise that kind of money. However, with Barr's voting history it's going to be a lot harder sell than Ron Paul.

Knightskye
07-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I still think they should just take out a loan.

How come Nader gets matching funds but Barr doesn't?

familydog
07-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Honestly, imo, It would take Ron Paul himself sending out an email, or endorsing Barr on tv before he could possibly begin to raise that kind of money. However, with Barr's voting history it's going to be a lot harder sell than Ron Paul.

Pretty much. Ron Paul said he'd make some kind of announcement regarding an endorsement come September. If he does endorse anyone, it would be too late to make any huge difference as far as money and campaigning. At the same time, not all people will flock to Barr simply because Ron Paul endorses him and the same goes for Baldwin.

In any case, maybe if the Barr campaign returned the air conditioner they bought for $18,000 they'd have some extra cash. ;)

slacker921
07-28-2008, 07:42 PM
and so the whisper campaign will begin..
"see, it really was just a cult of personality and it was all about Ron Paul.. his supporters couldn't even rally around and raise $750,000"

revolutionary8
07-28-2008, 07:43 PM
I still think they should just take out a loan.

How come Nader gets matching funds but Barr doesn't?

Nader was/is bankrolled by the CFR.

I am no fan of Bob Barr, but I would like to see him in the debates. I would also like to see Chuck Baldwin in the debates.

ItsTime
07-28-2008, 08:22 PM
and so the whisper campaign will begin..
"see, it really was just a cult of personality and it was all about Ron Paul.. his supporters couldn't even rally around and raise $750,000"

The revolution has realized its not about money.... we have taken to the street in mass. The money started the "idea" now we are on roll.

Say something liberty minded to one person once a day and they will never stop this Revolution.