PDA

View Full Version : "Heller II" court case filed today

Bradley in DC
07-28-2008, 02:45 PM
DC FOR HELLER (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21857286891)

July 28, 2008

HELLER PRESSES CITY TO FOLLOW SUPREME COURT RULING
Plaintiffs Continue to Stand Up for Citizens' Rights

Dick Heller, et al., filed a complaint (For Declaratory Judgment, Injunctive Relief, and Writ of Mandamus) against the city today to force them to comply with the US Supreme Court ruling in the District of Columbia v. Heller and to protect our individual rights such as the right to defend ourselves in our own homes. The current regulations violate our rights in several ways such as the unconstitutional ban on semiautomatic firearms, the discretionary fee-imposition power of the police chief, the undue burden on the right to a lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense, and in other ways.

On June 26, 2008, the United States Supreme Court held in District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783, 2821-22 (2008), that "the District's ban on handgun possession in the home violates the Second Amendment, as does its prohibition against rendering any lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense."

The District's ban on semiautomatic handguns amounts to a prohibition of an entire class of arms that is overwhelmingly chosen by American society for the lawful purpose of self-defense in the home. Semiautomatic pistols are issued to and commonly possessed by officers of the Metropolitan Police Department for self-defense and other lawful purposes.

Dane von Breichenruchardt of the US Bill of Rights Foundation will be available for questions tomorrow, Tuesday, July 28th, at 9 A.M. at the lower steps of the US Supreme Court Building. Dane can be reached at the US Bill of Rights Foundation at 202-546-7079.

Plaintiffs are Dick Anthony Heller, Absalom F. Jordan, Jr., and Amy McVey.

-- 30 --

Attorneys for Plaintiffs are
Stephen P. Halbrook (D.C. Bar No. 379799) and Richard E. Gardiner (D.C. Bar No. 386915)
10560 Main St., Suite 404
Fairfax, VA 22030
(703) 352-7276

Cowlesy
07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Excellent news -- thanks for sharing

clytle374
07-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Excellent news -- thanks for sharing

Why couldn't have just done it right the first time?

torchbearer
07-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Why couldn't have just done it right the first time?

what did he do wrong?

Dr.3D
07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
what did he do wrong?

I think he was referring to the Supreme court not making it clear the first time.

torchbearer
07-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I think he was referring to the Supreme court not making it clear the first time.

oh. i'm sure that was intentional.
the ruling majority opinion almost read like a big fat loss to me.
The dissenting opinion was frightening... especially being that it came from a supposed constitution scholar juris.

Doktor_Jeep
07-28-2008, 08:33 PM
DC IS following the SCOTUS ruling.

They ringwraiths said we can have guns, but the bastards can still regulate them. Which makes it a non-ruling with a dangerous precendent.

Expect to be told how many rounds you can carry in your rifle. But you can still buy a car MADE to break the speed limit, but since you can't fight tyranny with a car lest you run over a politician with it.....

Dr.3D
07-28-2008, 08:52 PM
oh. i'm sure that was intentional.
the ruling majority opinion almost read like a big fat loss to me.
The dissenting opinion was frightening... especially being that it came from a supposed constitution scholar juris.

Just goes to show how well our educational system works.

Bradley in DC
07-29-2008, 09:45 PM
The complaint can be downloaded here:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/0728heller.pdf