PDA

View Full Version : NY Times 7/27/08: After Iowa Raid, Immigrants Fuel Labor Inquiries

Cowlesy
07-27-2008, 03:57 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/us/27immig.html?hp=&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1217121387-aJOw9BnC1+MJeJ/14DjOxQ#

Amazing. It's 2008 and we still have sweatshops running in major industrial facilities. No matter what you think of illegals, they're still people. Articles like these float around worldwide and we wonder why so many other nations think we're savages.

Excerpts below.

POSTVILLE, Iowa — When federal immigration agents raided the kosher meatpacking plant here in May and rounded up 389 illegal immigrants, they found more than 20 under-age workers, some as young as 13.

One, a Guatemalan named Elmer L. who said he was 16 when he started working on the plant’s killing floors, said he worked 17-hour shifts, six days a week. In an affidavit, he said he was constantly tired and did not have time to do anything but work and sleep. “I was very sad,” he said, “and I felt like I was a slave.”

In another episode, the informant said a floor supervisor had blindfolded an immigrant with duct tape. “The floor supervisor then took one of the meat hooks and hit the Guatemalan with it,” the informant said, adding that the blow did not cause “serious injuries.”

noxagol
07-27-2008, 06:06 AM
I feel no pity for sweat shop workers. If they don't like it, quit. No one is holding a gun to their head. However, the beating is obviously not OK.