PDA

View Full Version : "No country by treaty can use the gold standard."???

Jeremy
07-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Somebody told me that. Since I'm still a noob and only started learning politics since December (thanks to the Ron Paul movement =p)... can someone explain what they were referring to? I mean I'm sure it's absolutely ridiculous... but still...

hypnagogue
07-26-2008, 08:48 PM
If I recall correctly, membership in the WTO requires a fiat currency.

EDIT: Google isn't turning anything up for me.

ThePieSwindler
07-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Its because of the worldwide system of floating currencies and exchange rates. In all honesty, the Fed isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The most we can hope for is some kinda of reform, but a total abolishment, and a pure gold standard, ain't happening. Even if there isn't actually a treaty, there would still be alot of international relations and trade related consequences that alot of countries would take issue with.

idiom
07-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Their fiat fiascoes would become obvious as they continued to slide against the dollar by 3% every year.

Truth Warrior
07-27-2008, 06:58 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm just getting pretty damned sick and tired of all of this tyrannical bogus "treaty" ( so called ) CRAP. :p :rolleyes:

BTW, that goes for the BS "Executive Orders" and the "law factory" garbage production too, for that matter.

Ah thanks, I feel better now, I really needed that. :)

revolutionman
07-27-2008, 08:22 AM
fk the WTO fk the IMF fk The World Bank, everyone whos job it is to subjugate me through manipulations of currency, fk you!!

skyorbit
07-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Switzerland must not be part of the WTO then, because the Swiss Franc is still backed by Gold.

Our dollar's depressiated about 80 against the franc, compaired to 97 against Gold. So the swiss have had a little inflation in the last 80 years. But very small ammount relative to us.

I think it's because they do have a central bank, and fractional researve systems. But because Gold is still the backing, their currencies only lost around 17% of it's value in the last 90 years.

Tracy

Bradley in DC
07-28-2008, 02:24 AM
It is membership in the IMF that precludes using gold as money by the government, not the WTO. I referenced that in the speech on how to return to sound money I gave at the Mises Institute's Austrian Scholars Conference earlier this year:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1353180#poststop

Switzerland changed their constitution (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D06E4DA1E3BF93AA25757C0A96F9582 60) several years ago; it does not have the link that it used to have anymore. Switzerland joined the IMF in 1992 (http://www.efv.admin.ch/e/themen/iwf/index.php), it seems.

gilliganscorner
07-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Switzerland must not be part of the WTO then, because the Swiss Franc is still backed by Gold.

Our dollar's depressiated about 80 against the franc, compaired to 97 against Gold. So the swiss have had a little inflation in the last 80 years. But very small ammount relative to us.

I think it's because they do have a central bank, and fractional researve systems. But because Gold is still the backing, their currencies only lost around 17% of it's value in the last 90 years.

Tracy

The Swiss franc has historically been considered a safe haven currency with virtually zero inflation and a legal requirement that a minimum 40% is backed by gold reserves. However, this link to gold, which dates from the 1920s, was terminated on 1 May 2000 following a referendum regarding the Nazi gold affair with Swiss banks and an amendment to the Swiss Constitution. By March 2005, following a gold selling program, the SNB held 1,290 tonnes of gold in reserves which equated to 20% of their assets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_franc

Fyretrohl
07-28-2008, 11:07 AM
*raises his hand to ask a question

Can ANY treaty exceed the authority of the Constitution, legally?

torchbearer
07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
*raises his hand to ask a question

Can ANY treaty exceed the authority of the Constitution, legally?

No. The U.S. Constitution gives our government authority and its legitimacy.
If the government enters into a treaty that requires them to break a chain in the constitution, it is no longer a legitimate government.
Sort of like the one we have today. It no longer derives its power from the governed, but is a power unto itself. Like a King.

Fyretrohl
07-28-2008, 02:54 PM
YEah, I know. Amazing how often I wish we could overthrow King George again.