PDA

View Full Version : Detox Diet Causes Brain Damage

LibertyOfOne
07-26-2008, 02:22 PM
www.news-medical.net/?id=40197

torchbearer
07-26-2008, 02:24 PM
A detox diet saved my life. may not be the same diet as described in the story.
This was a lemon/water detox. centered around water and organic, top grade maple syrup, and fresh lemon. 2 weeks of fasting. my entire body was better, my mind was better. So- i wouldn't knock detox diets.

LibertyOfOne
07-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Nothing that could not be attributed to the placebo effect. Did you notice that you have not said anything that is specific in the medical sense?

torchbearer
07-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Nothing that could not be attributed to the placebo effect.

I was dying from severe food poisoning. placebo that.

LibertyOfOne
07-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I was dying from severe food poisoning. placebo that.

People survive food poisoning all the time on their own. I have come down with it twice. The type where you are passing stuff from both ends at the same time. You have not demonstrated causal effect from a scientific standpoint. Many of the things that afflict us go away on their own with due time.

torchbearer
07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
People survive food poisoning all the time on their own. I have come down with it twice. The type where you are passing stuff from both ends at the same time. You have not demonstrated causal effect from a scientific standpoint. Many of the things that afflict us go away on their own with due time.

I wasn't sick from one night of food poisoning.. it was several nights over a couple weeks.
Long story short- I was eating month passed expiration yogurt without realizing it.
And ate is 4 or 5 times over a 9 day span. each day, my 'condition' got worse.
After the first night, I was in so much pain, had so much fever, that i couldn't think anymore. i thought i had a stomach virus... so i stay home sick, continued to eat what was in my fridge.
over that week, visit the family doc 3 times. he finally told me to go on this specific detox diet. as- my body was completely filled with toxins.
Now- had he not put me on a detox, i would have continued to eat the yogurt.
Instead, i fasted, drank my lemon water, and in time was able to clean out and recover and, with clear mind, figure out what was causing my illness.
As in- it literally saved my life... and was the right call from the doc.
Without the detox recommendation i would be dead.

Ninja Homer
07-26-2008, 06:49 PM

"Mrs Page had been told by nutritionist Barbara Nash to drink four extra pints of water a day and drastically reduce her salt intake."

That's not a detox diet... that's just freakin stupid. The body needs salt. When you drink more water than the body needs, it will wash salt out. Actually, if you're drinking enough water and don't take any diuretics (coffee, soda, etc.) your body can handle a hell of a lot of salt and never have a problem with it, particularly if you use a natural salt rather than the white processed stuff. Salt has gotten a bad rap. Keep hydrated and it's never a problem.

The lemonade fast, also known as the Master Cleanse, is widely tested and very effective.
The cleanse: http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,1787,2835&q=10
Support forum: http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=478

Note there are 784 pages of message listings in the current Master Cleanse support forum, as well as 21 archived forums, going back 6 years... I'd call that widely tested as safe.

torchbearer
07-26-2008, 08:06 PM
"Mrs Page had been told by nutritionist Barbara Nash to drink four extra pints of water a day and drastically reduce her salt intake."

That's not a detox diet... that's just freakin stupid. The body needs salt. When you drink more water than the body needs, it will wash salt out. Actually, if you're drinking enough water and don't take any diuretics (coffee, soda, etc.) your body can handle a hell of a lot of salt and never have a problem with it, particularly if you use a natural salt rather than the white processed stuff. Salt has gotten a bad rap. Keep hydrated and it's never a problem.

The lemonade fast, also known as the Master Cleanse, is widely tested and very effective.
The cleanse: http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,1787,2835&q=10
Support forum: http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=478

Note there are 784 pages of message listings in the current Master Cleanse support forum, as well as 21 archived forums, going back 6 years... I'd call that widely tested as safe.

that is the detox i did.

noxagol
07-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Hmm, may give it a go just to see what it does.

torchbearer
07-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Hmm, may give it a go just to see what it does.

lemonade detox is the one to do.
there is something spiritual about a fast. it gives your organs a rest.
you could take vitamins during detox, though you usually should take vitamins with food to help in digestion.

Dr.3D
07-26-2008, 11:15 PM
I was eating month passed expiration yogurt without realizing it.

Wow, speaking of yogurt, I had just finished an antibiotic regimen and got severe diarrhea, I thought it was because I needed some probiotics so I went to the store and bought some Yogurt. I took it home and started eating a lot of it thinking I was doing the right thing. Later I looked at the packages of the yogurt and noticed it was expired by about three weeks.

I stopped eating the yogurt and instead went over to taking acidophilus tablets instead. Within a few days, I was starting to feel better and the diarrhea went away. It just irritates me to no end how a store can leave old merchandise on the shelf for people to poison themselves with.

noxagol
07-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Wow, speaking of yogurt, I had just finished an antibiotic regimen and got severe diarrhea, I thought it was because I needed some probiotics so I went to the store and bought some Yogurt. I took it home and started eating a lot of it thinking I was doing the right thing. Later I looked at the packages of the yogurt and noticed it was expired by about three weeks.

I stopped eating the yogurt and instead went over to taking acidophilus tablets instead. Within a few days, I was starting to feel better and the diarrhea went away. It just irritates me to no end how a store can leave old merchandise on the shelf for people to poison themselves with.

Yeah, my mom works dairy in a Wal-mart and is always complaining about her lazy underlings (she's the department manager) not pulling everything off and putting the newer stuff in back and older stuff in front. She is constantly finding expired stuff and bitching at them.

CopThatSupportsRonPaul
07-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah, my mom works dairy in a Wal-mart and is always complaining about her lazy underlings (she's the department manager) not pulling everything off and putting the newer stuff in back and older stuff in front. She is constantly finding expired stuff and bitching at them.

When I was 17 I worked in a grocery store. Taking expired things off the shelf is just about the most frustrating and difficult thing there is to do, ever.

It's wayyyy too time consuming to take things off the shelf one at a time, check the date on each one, then either put it back on the shelf or put it in a cart if it's bad, while at the same making sure they are all neat and orderly on the shelf and lined up right. Takes HOURS to do.

And at the same time you are expected to perform your hundred or so other duties as a stock boy, and get them all done in an 8 hour or 4 hour shift. No way, freakin impossible.

They should have people who's only job is to check the dates on things on the shelves, that would be so much better.

Personally I gave up and just checked the dates on the things only on the front of the shelf. If I got yelled at I just blamed it on someone else, hehe. And because I was known as a good worker, they believed me and yelled at the other stock boys.

noxagol
07-27-2008, 06:56 AM
When I was 17 I worked in a grocery store. Taking expired things off the shelf is just about the most frustrating and difficult thing there is to do, ever.

It's wayyyy too time consuming to take things off the shelf one at a time, check the date on each one, then either put it back on the shelf or put it in a cart if it's bad, while at the same making sure they are all neat and orderly on the shelf and lined up right. Takes HOURS to do.

And at the same time you are expected to perform your hundred or so other duties as a stock boy, and get them all done in an 8 hour or 4 hour shift. No way, freakin impossible.

They should have people who's only job is to check the dates on things on the shelves, that would be so much better.

Personally I gave up and just checked the dates on the things only on the front of the shelf. If I got yelled at I just blamed it on someone else, hehe. And because I was known as a good worker, they believed me and yelled at the other stock boys.

Yeah. The store I work at has back fill shelves which solves the problem quite nicely.

CopThatSupportsRonPaul
07-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Yeah. The store I work at has back fill shelves which solves the problem quite nicely.

yeah we had back-fill shelves for the milk, so the milk wasn't a problem, since when you put the milk on the shelf, the newest stuff would automatically be in the back.

but the other stuff, yogurt, pudding, butter, cottage cheese, etc were all on a 40ft long 5ft high front-fill shelf.

and they expected one stock clerk to sort every single one of those things, newest date to the back, oldest to the front, and expired thrown out in like 4 hours... and at the same time do the other hundred or so things we had to do in the store... no way! not happening...

kaleidoscope eyes
07-27-2008, 07:52 AM
yipes, that's why I ALWAYS check exp. dates!

glad you made it through, torch!

bg1654
07-28-2008, 01:09 PM
It just irritates me to no end how a store can leave old merchandise on the shelf for people to poison themselves with.

You must be an Obama supporter since you think you should rely on other people for your safety.

Seriously... not checking expiration dates is dumb and your own fault... have some self responsibility.

torchbearer
07-28-2008, 01:12 PM
You must be an Obama supporter since you think you should rely on other people for your safety.

Seriously... not checking expiration dates is dumb and your own fault... have some self responsibility.

The expiration date on my container was very hard to read. the date was printed very small on a very dark green container.
It looked like 11/15/07. upon close inspection later, the 11 was actually a 10 with a very thin 0.

Dr.3D
07-28-2008, 01:30 PM

Let me see.... I should have to check the date on the stuff at the store?

Actually, it is the responsibility of the store to make sure they don't sell expired food. People should not have to check the expiration date of food they find in the store.

So I guess what I should have done is sue the store for selling me expired food and making me sick. Don't forget, only the rich can afford justice.

As for my being dumb... look in the mirror the next time you even think about calling somebody else dumb. Since we have laws prohibiting the sales of expired food, I was in no way dumb in thinking the food would not be expired.

Now if my expectations of finding non expired food in the store makes me an Obama supporter, then perhaps I should be voting for him.

Don't forget about our current laws and what expectations we should have knowing those laws exist.

Kade
07-28-2008, 01:47 PM

Free Market baby.

Dr.3D
07-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Free Market baby.

Yep, the stuff should have been free.

Kade
07-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Yep, the stuff should have been free.

I don't see a compelling reason to replace the yogurt if you are going to buy them and consume them...

But that's just me.

orafi
07-29-2008, 08:43 PM
I wasn't sick from one night of food poisoning.. it was several nights over a couple weeks.
Long story short- I was eating month passed expiration yogurt without realizing it.
And ate is 4 or 5 times over a 9 day span. each day, my 'condition' got worse.
After the first night, I was in so much pain, had so much fever, that i couldn't think anymore. i thought i had a stomach virus... so i stay home sick, continued to eat what was in my fridge.
over that week, visit the family doc 3 times. he finally told me to go on this specific detox diet. as- my body was completely filled with toxins.
Now- had he not put me on a detox, i would have continued to eat the yogurt.
Instead, i fasted, drank my lemon water, and in time was able to clean out and recover and, with clear mind, figure out what was causing my illness.
As in- it literally saved my life... and was the right call from the doc.
Without the detox recommendation i would be dead.

Maybe it was the stopping of the yogurt consumption that helped?

Mini-Me
08-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Don't forget about our current laws and what expectations we should have knowing those laws exist.

You do have a good point here.

On the other hand, consider the fact that if a product expires tomorrow, it's okay to sell today. However, when people go to the grocery, they're usually going for a week's supply or more. Therefore, depending on when they're planning on actually eating the food, it may have already expired anyway...which is why a responsible person always checks the expiration date prior to buying and especially prior to consumption. In torchbearer's case, it seems like he fell upon a stroke of terrible luck, since the 0 looked like a 1 (and for all we know, the kid at the grocery store thought the same thing).

This isn't to say that a responsible grocery won't do their best to weed out expired items...but as others have pointed out, front-loading shelves make this much easier said than done (until back-loading shelves become more popular...which they honestly should have years ago), putting 100% compliance beyond reasonable or ordinary expectations.

torchbearer
08-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Maybe it was the stopping of the yogurt consumption that helped?

Yes. But the consumption stopped by the detox diet recommendation.
Though the detox could have only helped, not hinder my recovery.

krazy kaju
08-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Well that explains a lot about liberals...

Dr.3D
08-02-2008, 06:59 PM
You do have a good point here.

On the other hand, consider the fact that if a product expires tomorrow, it's okay to sell today. However, when people go to the grocery, they're usually going for a week's supply or more. Therefore, depending on when they're planning on actually eating the food, it may have already expired anyway...which is why a responsible person always checks the expiration date prior to buying and especially prior to consumption. In torchbearer's case, it seems like he fell upon a stroke of terrible luck, since the 0 looked like a 1 (and for all we know, the kid at the grocery store thought the same thing).

This isn't to say that a responsible grocery won't do their best to weed out expired items...but as others have pointed out, front-loading shelves make this much easier said than done (until back-loading shelves become more popular...which they honestly should have years ago), putting 100% compliance beyond reasonable or ordinary expectations.

Typically, I will use an item even if the expiration date says it expired a week earlier. It isn't really a problem. Just because you read an expiration date, it doesn't mean the day after that date it should be thrown out.

HonestyInMedicine
08-08-2008, 10:52 PM

Nobody should undergo any intense cleanse without being supervised by trained proven practitioners. Naturally if your insides are like a dumpster full of garbage that you've accumulated over decades and you try to get rid of it quickly, toxins stored in cells are going to be released into the blood stream. That woman was stupid to do a cleanse like that without going to see a proven naturopath who would put her on a SENSIBLE and safe cleanse. Even some of these colon cleanses that people do are too invasive and too intense.

You are much better off just eating whole grain brown rice and dark green leafy veggies and water or herbal tea for three meals aday. With that diet you will get nutrients and the grains act like scrubbing bubbles and pull out toxins. Sea vegetables would also be a great addition as would Miso. (This is basically a macrobiotic diet.)

yongrel
08-08-2008, 10:53 PM
a proven naturopath

Isn't that an oxymoron?

tmosley
08-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Yes. But the consumption stopped by the detox diet recommendation.
Though the detox could have only helped, not hinder my recovery.

You probably would have recovered equally as quickly if you had stopped eating the bad yogurt and had a witch doctor stand over you chanting incantations for a few days.

Remove the source of the poisoning and get better. It's not rocket science. There is no way you could possibly attribute your recovery to the "detox" diet when you were continually taking in poison beforehand. Indeed, depriving your body of nutrients and calories probably slowed your recovery significantly.

HonestyInMedicine
08-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Isn't that an oxymoron?

The phrase proven naturopath is no more of an oxymoron than a "proven allopath".
One way you can determine this is ask the practitioner what their experience has been with XYZ condition and treatment? How many patients have they treated etc etc ?

HonestyInMedicine
08-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Isn't that an oxymoron?

The phrase "proven naturopath" is no more of an oxymoron than a "proven allopath". In fact natural medicine is a lot more proven and has been around a LOT LONGER than allopathic medicine and certainly has a much more proven track record than modern western medicine. Actually, if the truth be told, its effectiveness has also been written about in medical journals. the problem is medical journals are not read by allopathic doctors.

(I take it you did not read the study at the Life Extension Foundation website that you can research by searching for "death by medicine" at their website www.lef.org. The results of that study, taken from statistics from medical journals, show that western medicine used as prescribed by medical doctors STILL result in 800,000 deaths every year based on only5% to 20% of incidents that are actually reported. With those kind of results, medical doctors in this country have NOTHING TO BRAG ABOUT. On the other hand, deaths from natural medicine it is extremely rare and virtually NEVER happens.)

One way you can determine experience and expertise is to ask the practitioner what their experience has been with XYZ condition and treatment? How many patients have they treated with your problem etc etc ? What is the expected outcome? What is involved in the treatment? etc. Are their references.? Have they completed one of the accredited programs in this country or in another county?Finding out if an N.D is experienced and proven is done the same way you would find out about any other professional you do business with.

torchbearer
08-09-2008, 07:13 AM
You probably would have recovered equally as quickly if you had stopped eating the bad yogurt and had a witch doctor stand over you chanting incantations for a few days.

Remove the source of the poisoning and get better. It's not rocket science. There is no way you could possibly attribute your recovery to the "detox" diet when you were continually taking in poison beforehand. Indeed, depriving your body of nutrients and calories probably slowed your recovery significantly.

Did I mention I would be dead if it wasn't for that recommendation?
antibioitics weren't working because i was still eating the yogurt. "Mr. I-only-put-lab-made-chemicals-in-my-body" couldn't have saved me with all the chemicals in the world. I needed to have poison removed from my body...

Gee- doesn't your body remove toxins? Sure.
But at a certain rate. The way my health was going, if i continued to add toxins of any kind to my body, i may not have recovered fast enough.. or at all.
Thus a detox was useful. And by detox, i mean a very near fast. water to flush the body. lemon to add some flavor.
Nothing witch doctor about flushing your body. Fasting gives your body to to "catch-up" and helps it purify from the mounds of chemicals you ingest with your food and drinks.

HonestyInMedicine
08-12-2008, 04:19 PM
lemonade detox is the one to do.
there is something spiritual about a fast. it gives your organs a rest.
you could take vitamins during detox, though you usually should take vitamins with food to help in digestion.

Lemon juice actually cleanses your liver and we should all "love our liver".

By the way, a lot of people aren't aware that the liver can be totally regenerated. If an alcoholic has a compromised liver, all he needs to do is stop drinking AND detox and support the liver with diet and supplements and the liver can be totally rejuvenated. Liver transplants are not the only option but they are the only option offered by conventional medicine.