PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with accusations of racism

Lady in the Yellow Dress
08-29-2007, 05:23 PM
How do you rationally discuss "racism" with people who insist on smearing Mr. Paul with the "racist" label?

Man from La Mancha
08-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Search that thread on the forum search and there are alot of suggestions. Welcome aboard.

Spirit of '76
08-29-2007, 05:37 PM
How do you rationally discuss "racism" with people who insist on smearing Mr. Paul with the "racist" label?

Inform them that even the New York Times absolved him of the charge of racism. That usually shuts them up.

If that doesn't work, then tell them that Dr. Paul has repeatedly explained that he views people as individuals, not as members of groups or races, and that in that light, their insistence on lumping people together based on race is more racist than anything Ron Paul has said or done.

Mesogen
08-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Then you get:

1. He is supported by David Duke and other racists.
2. He said some sorta racist sounding things in the past.
3. States' rights is code for bringing back segregation.

To me, it looks like there is no way to convince some people that Ron Paul is not a racist, but since other people are listening, it's important to counter all accusations.

bbachtung
08-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Then you get:

1. He is supported by David Duke and other racists.
2. He said some sorta racist sounding things in the past.
3. States' rights is code for bringing back segregation.

To me, it looks like there is no way to convince some people that Ron Paul is not a racist, but since other people are listening, it's important to counter all accusations.

In response to number one, point out that Hillary and Barack were recently endorsed by Fidel Castro. Then point out that Hillary, Barack, and Ron have no control over who supports them.

In response to number two, I agree that pointing out that the NY Times has determined that the racism charges are poppycock is a good approach.

In response to number three, point out that segregation is and has been illegal for over 40 years, and that Ron Paul believes that EVERY INDIVIDUAL has the same rights and liberty as every other individual.

Keep in mind that you'll never convert some people, but many people just haven't though critically about the anti-RP propaganda that they've read.

SeanEdwards
08-29-2007, 08:55 PM
In my Spanish class today, the teacher was trying to tell us something the number of Spanish speakers worldwide, and the percentage in the US, and so on.

She got to talking about Hispanics, and I got so confused. I asked her, "Are people from Spain Hispanic?" And she said, well yes, since the term Hispanic, derives from "of Spanish culture", but then she said that in the U.S. that wasn't exactly the case. :confused:

Then she said, technically, Latino means deriving from Latin origin, and therefore includes Italian, Spanish, Portugese.

Ultimately, I have no idea wtf is going on with these terms whatsoever. I can't tell if it has to do with language, or skin color, or cultural affinity, or what.

Collectivism FTL! :(

klamath
08-29-2007, 10:47 PM
You might point out that their leading candidates voted to go to war. While they quibble about a long past statement of very dubious origins about racism their candidates voted to bring this country to war so lightly and without deep thought they unleashed more racism around the world than any politicians of modern times. War can bring out the worse in mankind like no other event we know. So they created some of the most vile hate humans can feel.
How’s this for a partial list of what their candidates unleashed on the world.
Cold blooded premeditated murder of hundreds of thousands of innocents.
Men getting their heads sawed off while they are live.
Women being savagely raped mutilated and slowly killed.
Children being killed and tortured and raped.
Men getting their genitals cut off and their beating hearts cut from their chests.
Thousands of innocents blown to bloody ribbons of organs and flesh.
All the while these worse of atrocities are accompanied by screamed words of hate and racism that create even more deep deep ugly hate and racism.
Millions living in the worse kind of fear that they or one of their loved ones would not live to see the end of the day.
Thousands feeling real emaciating starvation.
Thousands disfigured and disabled.
Tears, Grief, fear, horror, misery, anger, hate; hunger, pain, agony depression, apathy, sorrow, regret, remorse, shame and humiliation to name a few emotions brought on by war.

And they have the gall to talk to us about some dubious statement from years ago! Even Kacinich voted for the Iraqi Liberation Act.

Wars will always be around but we should never, Never, NEVER, NEVER go into them lightly and go forward without understanding absolutely what is to be unleashed.

Sorry about the graphic detail but I am getting sick of the lack of perspective on what mistakes politicians have made.

Mesogen
08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
In my Spanish class today, the teacher was trying to tell us something the number of Spanish speakers worldwide, and the percentage in the US, and so on.

She got to talking about Hispanics, and I got so confused. I asked her, "Are people from Spain Hispanic?" And she said, well yes, since the term Hispanic, derives from "of Spanish culture", but then she said that in the U.S. that wasn't exactly the case. :confused:

Then she said, technically, Latino means deriving from Latin origin, and therefore includes Italian, Spanish, Portugese.

Ultimately, I have no idea wtf is going on with these terms whatsoever. I can't tell if it has to do with language, or skin color, or cultural affinity, or what.

Collectivism FTL! :(

Yeah, really. There are these guys I know from Honduras and they do NOT look like they are from Spain and I don't think they have anything to do with the culture of Spain except for the fact that they speak Spanish. Are they Hispanic?

I do not have a drop of English blood in me. I am white and speak English. Does this make me Anglo? Anglican? or whatever?

No. If anything those guys are Honduran and I'm American, if we need to categorize.

ladyliberty
08-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Some people claim that Ron Paul's stance on illegal immigration is "racist" too - but I tell them we do not have anything against the people who struggled and worked hard to come to this county LEGALLY - and why should we allow a group of drug smugglers and other criminals into our country without having to go through the legal means of doing so????

hard@work
08-30-2007, 11:42 AM

I would recommend you study the activities, history, and actions of the Mexican government. Then you can discuss the solution from where the problem is.

nullvalu
08-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Inform them that even the New York Times absolved him of the charge of racism. That usually shuts them up.

Was this in an article? Is it online anywhere?

thx

BillyDkid
08-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Some people claim that Ron Paul's stance on illegal immigration is "racist" too - but I tell them we do not have anything against the people who struggled and worked hard to come to this county LEGALLY - and why should we allow a group of drug smugglers and other criminals into our country without having to go through the legal means of doing so????Yes, people deliberately confuse this issue while ignoring the unfairness involved as far a people who go to the trouble of entering the country legally and becoming citizens. I'm sure there are a number of legal immigrant groups who see the unfairness in allowing/condoning illegal immigration, but we don't get to hear their voices.

constituent
08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
How do you counter the racist argument?

1) The welfare state is the enemy of all minorities and poor

a) why? because the welfare state is maintained not only through
taxation, but more nefariously through inflation. Since most poor
people's only asset is cash, when you choose to inflate the currency,
you choose to steal money directly from their pockets on the false
promise that they might someday see any of it back.

2) Therefore, any candidate who would propose a perpetuation
of the welfare state is not proposing taxing the rich, instead they
propose to continue stealing from the poor and unborn to continue
funding self-serving bureaucracies and corporate interests that stand
to gain from administration of the programs and receipt of the lion's
share of subsidies.

Ron Paul believes that if you take away the aristocratic government's 'authority'
to steal money from the poor and unborn through inflation, and if you stop forcing
them into a life of jumping through hoops (so that they may get some of
their money back), the poor and minorities are just as capable of caring for
themselves as anyone else. the exception of course being the handicapped,
but that transcends class and racial lines.

3) By devaluing currency and by (stealing) a wage-earner's money through an
immoral income tax (remember, they take the money before you even see it...
and if you get it refunded you essentially loaned it to them... where's your
interest payment?)you create a disincentive to work and encourage people to
take what they can get at the welfare office. They spend their lives waiting
miserably in cramped quarters, clutching their little numbers and filling out forms.

That is no way for a human being to live their life.

Cowlesy
08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Just quote Ron Paul: "We don't get our rights because we're gays or women or minorities. We get our rights from our creator as individuals. So every individual should be treated the same way."

Craig Dutch
09-02-2007, 10:48 AM
If you're accused of being racist for supporting Ron Paul you need a short, concise and to-the-point reply. I would say: "Ron doesn't care about the color of your* skin or features, he cares about the papers in your* hand. No matter whether you're* white, brown or purple polka dots."

Ofcourse you could substitute "your*" if don't want to some across as referring to the other speaker if they're especially prickly.

Pauliana
09-02-2007, 11:18 AM
If Dr. Paul was racist, he'd just come right out and say it. He told Google he was against net neutrality. He will say unpopular things and stand by them. That's how you can trust him when he says things you *do* like.

Unless you are, like, David Duke, being called a racist these days is a lot like being called a witch in the 1690's.

And if he is a foaming at the mouth racist like they claim, can they please come up with more examples and something newer than 10 years old to support that claim? The burden of proof is on THEM to prove their allegations and the evidence is ancient, sparse and flimsy.

Kuldebar
09-02-2007, 11:35 AM
People have a right to be racists and bigots.

The government absolutely does not.

It's really that simple.

Now, if your definition of racism includes lynching, I'd point out that lynching is actually murder. Last time I checked, we weren't being called murderers, yet. Thank goodness.

But, in today's climate of fuzzy thinking, many people seem to have difficulty when it comes to distinctions. Ironically, they seem to lack skills in discriminating the difference between such things.

Paul's not a racist, he's a humanist.