PDA

View Full Version : Are feds stockpiling survival food?

madengr
07-26-2008, 08:51 AM
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=70281

WorldNetDaily Exclusive
Is federal government stockpiling survival food?
'These circumstances certainly raise red flags'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: July 25, 2008
12:30 am Eastern

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WorldNetDaily

A Wall Street Journal columnist has advised people to "start stockpiling food" and an ABC News Report says "there are worrying signs appearing in the United States where some … locals are beginning to hoard supplies." Now there's concern that the U.S. government may be competing with consumers for stocks of storable food.

"We're told that the feds bought the entire container of canned butter when it hit the California docks. (Something's up!)," said officials at Best Prices Storable Foods in an advisory to customers.

Spokesman Bruce Hopkins told WND he also has had trouble obtaining No. 10 cans of various products from one of the world's larger suppliers of food stores, Oregon Freeze Dry.

He said a company official told him on the telephone when he discussed the status of his order that it was because the government had purchased massive quantities of products, leaving none for other customers.

That, however, was denied by Oregon Freeze Dry. In a website statement, the company confirmed it cannot assure supplying some items to customers.

"We regret to inform you Oregon Freeze Dry cannot satisfy all Mountain House #10 can orders and we have removed #10 cans from our website temporarily," the company tells frustrated customers. "The reason for this is sales of #10 cans have continued to increase. OFD is allocating as much production capacity as possible to this market segment, but we must maintain capacity for our other market segments as well."

The company statement continues, "We want to clarify inaccurate information we’ve seen on the Internet. This situation is not due to sales to the government domestically or in Iraq. We do sell products to this market, but we also sell other market segments … The reason for this decision is solely due to an unprecedented sales spike in #10 cans sales.

"We expect this situation to be necessary for several months although this isn’t a guarantee. We will update this information as soon as we know more. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We sincerely hope you will continue to be Mountain House customers in the future," the company statement said.

But Hopkins wasn't backing away from his concerns.

"The government just came in and said they're buying it. They did pay for it," he told WND about the summertime shipment of long-term storage butter. "They took it and no one else could have it.

"We don't know why. The feds then went to freeze dried companies, and bought most of their canned stock," he said.

A spokeswoman for Oregon Freeze Dry, sales manager Melanie Cornutt, told WND that the increasing demand for food that can be stored has been on the rise since Hurricane Katrina devastated large sections of the Gulf Coast, cutting off ordinary supply routes.

"We are currently out of stock on our cans. We are not selling any of our cans," she confirmed.

She then raised the issue of government purchases herself.

"We do sell to the government [but] it is not the reason [for company sales limits]," she said.

Officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency told WND whatever government agency is buying in a surge it isn't them. They reported a stockpile of about six million meals which has not changed significantly in an extended period.

But Hopkins said it was his opinion the government is purchasing huge quantities of food for stockpiles, and Americans will have to surmise why.

"We don't have shelters that [are being] stocked with food. We're not doing this for the public. My only conclusion is that they're stocking up for themselves," he said of government officials.

Blogger Holly Deyo issued an alert this week announcing, "Unprecedented demand cleans out major storable food supplier through 2009."

"It came to our attention today, that the world's largest producer of storable foods, Mountain House, is currently out of stock of ALL #10 cans of freeze dried foods, not just the Turkey Tetrazzini. They will NOT have product now through 2009," she said.

"This information was learned by a Mountain House dealer who shared it with me this morning. In personally talking with the company immediately after, Mountain House verified the information is true. Customer service stated, 'I'm surprised they don't have this posted on the website yet.' She said they have such a backlog of orders, Mountain House will not be taking any #10 can food requests through the remainder of this year and all of the next.

"Mountain House claims this situation is due to a backlog of orders, which may very well be true, but who is purchasing all of their food? This is a massive global corporation.

"One idea: the military. Tensions are ramping up with Iran and news segments debate whether or not we will implement a preemptive strike in conjunction with Israel," she wrote.

Hopkins raised some of the same concerns, suggesting a military conflict could cause oil supplies to plummet, triggering a huge increase in the cost of food – when it would be available – because of the transportation issues.

The ABC report from just a few weeks ago quoted Jim Rawles, a former U.S. intelligence officer who runs a survival blog, saying food shortages soon could become a matter of survival in the U.S.

"I think that families should be prepared for times of crisis, whether it's a man-made disaster or a natural disaster, and I think it's wise and prudent to stock up on food," he told ABC.

"If you get into a situation where fuel supplies are disrupted or even if the power grid were to go down for short periods of time, people can work around that," he said. "But you can't work around a lack of food – people starve, people panic and you end up with chaos in the streets."

At his California ranch, the location of which is kept secret, he said, "We have more than a three-year supply of food here."

In the Wall Street Journal, columnist Brett Arends warned, "Maybe it's time for Americans to start stockpiling food.

"No, this is not a drill," he wrote.

His concern was about various food shortages around the globe, and the fact that in a global market, prices in the U.S. reflect difficulties in other parts of the world quickly.

Professor Lawrence F. Roberge, a biologist who has worked with a number of universities and has taught online courses, told WND he's been following the growing concern over food supplies.

He also confirmed to WND reports of the government purchasing vast quantities of long-term storable foods.

He said that naturally would be kept secret to avoid panicking the public, such as when word leaks out to customers that a bank may be insolvent, and depositors frantically try to retrieve their cash.

"[These] circumstances certainly raise red flags," he said.

Cowlesy
07-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Maybe they just had a huge need for canned butter or something?

No idea --- well written article though.

FindLiberty
07-26-2008, 09:50 AM
It's butter for all those crackers they plan to be eating while hiding under a mountain after TSHTF.

or

Emergency (radiation) burn treatment or skin protection from some water based toxin scare-of-the-week.

or

Maybe they just had a big party when a lot of chilli was served and those crackers are all gone, so they ordered more butter by mistake. Watch out for that awful gas problem now.

Who really cares? I don't.

TruckinMike
07-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Here is an excerpt from Dead line live (Jack Blood):

http://jackblood.netfirms.com/home/headline.html

/On July 21st 2008 DEADLINE LIVE broadcast a show dealing with much of this chatter from Federal authorities, and leaders around the world. *Here is what we covered:*/

/*1)* Keith Champagne (who has been instrumental in keeping us up to speed on Ed and Elaine Brown developments) had this to say (in his own words), "Last week I went into one of my restaurants to deliver food (my job) and at the same time I got there a guy in a Crown Victoria with Rhode Island emergency management agency logos on it pulled up. He was just there for breakfast, I think he's a regular, but he overheard myself and the owner talking about the economy etc… And as I noticed him paying attention I thought it was a good time to maybe pry for info. So I turned to him and I said to the owner, "lets ask this guy", as I pointed to the EMA guy and I said to the guy "c'mon tell me the truth buddy the state has to have plans for the collapse of the dollar, the eventual collapse of the government, calling out the national guard etc huh?"/

/I kind of expected to be laughed at, I even said it kind of sarcastically thinking the guy would dismiss me, instead he put his fork on his plate looked down and slowly shook his head yes. I was shocked! Not that its happening but that he would admit it! Then he looks at me and says, "the people don't know how bad its going to be, right now they have us getting ready for people dieing in food riots and dieing due to the inability to heat their homes this winter.", then he says, "and on top of that the feds are telling the states to expect a flu pandemic this season that will rival the PLAGUE"...... THOSE ARE HIS WORDS NOT MINE!!! And he said "and we CANT handle it" as he was shaking his head in disbelief... he seemed like a really nice guy. He seemed really concerned. Then I told him that I myself have been planning for the need for 6 months of food and I've been telling everyone I know the same. He said "at LEAST 6 months"/

/We talked a little more and I asked him what he thinks for a time line and I said I think 2-6 weeks for collapse of the dollar and he said he feels September, though I don't know if that was his personal opinion or not, but when he said September he looked at me and said "how are people going to feed themselves then?" .... I told him I'm thinking of moving to New Hampshire he nodded in agreement and I mentioned how a friend [Jose I hope I can call you that???? :) ] told me I should consider Texas due to the longer growing season and he said very sternly, "I wouldn't do that I've heard that there is a ten week wait for AR-15 style rifles down there right now" , then he mumbled something about the ethnic groups stocking up weapons in anticipation of all this and he seemed to really be hinting that the border area of the south would not be a good place to be when it happens and like I said he was adamant about that..."/

/*2)* This email brought out an account of a similar incident with a SWAT team trainer who was also a "combat instructor" for this anonymous young lady (In her own words):/

/"I've heard similar stuff from my tactical instructor. He's the local swat team trainer, also./

/He said that they're being told to stock up on certain things and they're doing training that seems more like for total catastrophe and natural disaster than hostage extraction. He doesn't get very much information, I mean, in the way of explanations, but he says "these are clues". They didn't used to have to get so many vaccinations, etc... They didn't study food shortages and stuff." (Now they are)/

/*3)* Keith also relayed a first hand story he had heard from an acquaintance working as a janitor a major Rhode Island University. She was given a memo which stated that she would now be trained by FEMA, and was given a card to get her through any FEMA checkpoints or roadblocks in an event of an "emergency" (No further details were given)/

Does this mean anything??? who knows... But it is very interesting.

TMike

jkm1864
07-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Open hunting season people ... stock up on everything and get ready ...

hope7134
07-27-2008, 02:31 PM
They know that craps about to hit the fan, when the banks crash and like the rats they are they will be underground.

slacker921
07-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Butter comes in cans?

LibertyEagle
07-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Read the notice from the company and note the link. There are quite a few people who sell their products and they seem to have the cans.

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHCDL

1000-points-of-fright
07-27-2008, 06:21 PM
It's butter for all those crackers they plan to be eating while hiding under a mountain after TSHTF.

or

Emergency (radiation) burn treatment or skin protection from some water based toxin scare-of-the-week.

or

Maybe they just had a big party when a lot of chilli was served and those crackers are all gone, so they ordered more butter by mistake. Watch out for that awful gas problem now.

Ever seen Last Tango in Paris?

Dr.3D
07-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Butter comes in cans?

It does, but it is much cheaper to can your own.

Here is how you may can your own:

1. Use any butter that is on sale. Lesser quality butter requires more shaking (see #5 below), but the results are the same as with the expensive brands.

2. Heat pint jars in a 250 degree oven for 20 minutes, without rings or seals. One pound of butter slightly more than fills one pint jar, so if you melt 11 pounds of butter, heat 12 pint jars. A roasting pan works well for holding the pint jars while in the oven.

3. While the jars are heating, melt butter slowly until it comes to a slow boil. Using a large spatula, stir the bottom of the pot often to keep the butter from scorching. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes at least: a good simmer time will lessen the amount of shaking required (see #5 below). Place the lids in a small pot and bring to a boil, leaving the lids in simmering water until needed.

4. Stirring the melted butter from the bottom to the top with a soup ladle or small pot with a handle, pour the melted butter carefully into heated jars through a canning jar funnel. Leave 3/4" of head space in the jar, which allows room for the shaking process.

5. Carefully wipe off the top of the jars, then get a hot lid from the simmering water, add the lid and ring and tighten securely. Lids will seal as they cool. Once a few lids "ping," shake while the jars are still warm, but cool enough to handle easily, because the butter will separate and become foamy on top and white on the bottom. In a few minutes, shake again, and repeat until the butter retains the same consistency throughout the jar.

6. At this point, while still slightly warm, put the jars into a refrigerator. While cooling and hardening, shake again, and the melted butter will then look like butter and become firm. This final shaking is very important! Check every 5 minutes and give the jars a little shake until they are hardened in the jar! Leave in the refrigerator for an hour.

7. Canned butter should store for 3 years or longer on a cool, dark shelf. [It does last a long time. We have just used up the last of the butter we canned in 1999, and it was fine after 5 years.] Canned butter does not "melt" again when opened, so it does not need to be refrigerated upon opening, provided it is used within a reasonable length of time.

RSLudlum
07-27-2008, 06:56 PM
^^does this canning method change the taste drastically??

Dr.3D
07-27-2008, 07:25 PM
^^does this canning method change the taste drastically??

Not that I have noticed. Actually, I like it better than the fresh butter. Since it doesn't require refrigeration, it is softer and easier to spread. :)

Doktor_Jeep
07-28-2008, 01:00 AM
That butter is for 04-15-2009.

They are out of KY Jelly.

Cowlesy
07-28-2008, 02:32 PM
That butter is for 04-15-2009.

They are out of KY Jelly.

Best post of the day.

nobody's_hero
07-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Canned butter?

Maybe if I were faced with really hard times . . .

Ugh, I can't imagine just sitting down and eating butter with a spoon.

Dr.3D
07-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Canned butter?

Maybe if I were faced with really hard times . . .

Ugh, I can't imagine just sitting down and eating butter with a spoon.

I think I would put it on bread and other things like I normally do.
It would also be very good for barter as there would be very little butter if any at stores. Think about your extra butter as barter butter. :)

PatriotG
07-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Butter comes in cans?

Yes Sir
So does Italian Sausage....

acptulsa
07-29-2008, 11:08 AM
They're probably just buying while the buck's still worth something to ensure that food stamps will still be worth something when they've done their dirty work to the economy. Gotta keep us dependent on them, after all.

LittleLightShining
08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Just thought I'd share this update.

I'm on The Ready Store (http://www.thereadystore.com/?utm_source=RNE_20080731&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mh_price_increase&utm_content=logo)'s email list and this was included:

Finally, let me dispel a few rumors that we keep hearing:

Rumor #1: Mountain House isn't selling food in #10 cans until 2009. This is absolutely false. They are making food, and, as one of their major distributors, we are still receiving deliveries of that food on a weekly basis. What has changed is that Mountain House is no longer selling direct on their website and they are no longer selling to many of the smaller distributors that they once had. We are a major distributor and we have Mountain House products coming in all the time.

Rumor #2: The reason there are freeze-dried food shortages is because the United States Government is stockpiling food. Again, absolutely false. The governments purchases have been no different this year than in year's past. What has changed is that more people are nervous about our current economy, rising food and oil prices and the average consumer is looking to get prepared.

Again, we have freeze-dried food coming in all the time. Currently, due to very high demand, it is taking us longer to get it shipped out to you, but you will get your food. As always, I will do my best to keep you informed. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help you and your family prepare.