PDA

View Full Version : Press Release - NV Update

pauletteNV
07-25-2008, 03:33 PM
PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Judge Polaha Refuses to Uphold State Law

RENO, NV, July 25, 2008 – Judge Jerry Polaha today refused to uphold NRS 293, the statute that requires national delegates be elected by the state delegates at a state convention. Judge Polaha refused to grant the preliminary injunction requested by the Nevada State delegates, who filed a lawsuit last week attempting to stop the Nevada State GOP from appointing delegates.

“This is a very disappointing ruling,” said Wayne Terhune, a Washoe County Republican activist who was a plaintiff in the case. “The Judge would not uphold the law.” Judge Polaha said that the complaint was premature because the State Party has not announced their slate of appointees. However, the plaintiffs, represented by local attorney Mark Goodman, pointed out that the State Party had already violated NRS 293 because the State GOP has announced they will not reconvene, but will appoint delegates to the National Convention. "I knew we had a challenging case, but still I'm puzzled by the ruling."

The meeting began with Judge Polaha stating that he had reviewed five hours of footage from the April 26th and June 28th meetings. He emphatically stated that the characterization of the April 26th meeting commonly reported in the media as unruly and disruptive was not supported by the footage of the Convention. The Judge stated that the April 26th meeting proceeded in an orderly fashion until the abrupt recess.

Terhune says that the matter will now be appealed by the Republican National Convention’s Committee on Contests, an effort being organized by long-time Republican and Assembly candidate Mike Weber. “We haven’t decided yet if we will continue to appeal this matter in the court system,” Terhune added.

“Our fight to represent the delegates of the State Convention isn’t over,” said Terhune. “It is unfortunate the court refused to get involved and uphold the rule of law. This ruling seems to indicate that the State GOP leadership can do whatever they want, and the voice of the delegates can be ignored.”

ARealConservative
07-25-2008, 03:38 PM
this makes me very angry.

What can out of staters do to help push this forward?