PDA

View Full Version : Terry Goodkind

LibertyCzar
07-24-2008, 05:53 PM
I've been reading up on the author, Terry Goodkind. He is the author of "Wizard's First Rule" of the Sword of Truth series, which incidently is: People will believe a lie either because they want to believe it's true or because they are afraid it might be true. This book is being transformed into a television series to air beginning in November.

The author is interesting. His philosophy is somewhat like Ayn Rand's. A quote from his main website http://www.terrygoodkind.com/the_author/philosophy.html states the following, as part of his statement of philosophy:

"I am an Objectivist. Let me say right here, though, that my books are not intended to explain, advance, or promote Objectivism. My intent with my novels is simply to tell a good story. My Objectivist beliefs, however, guide what I think is a good story and how I tell it, just as every writer, whether they realize it or not, is guided by their philosophy. Because our outlook on life -- our philosophy -- governs our every action, it is essential to have a complete and integrated philosophy in order to live the fullest life possible.

Objectivism is the name Ayn Rand chose for her philosophy. (I believe that she was the most brilliant thinker since Aristotle because the totality of her philosophy is such a seamless coherent whole. I've always held views very much the same as hers, but studying her work helped me clarify my own thoughts on philosophy, link concepts I hadn't fully connected, advanced my understanding of knowledge itself, and helped me grasp how we come to know what we know and how to verify the truth of such knowledge. When I first discovered Ayn Rand in her short novel Anthem, it powered my growing desire to be a novelist and my conviction that I could accomplish such a goal.) ...

... As an Objectivist I believe that our consciousness is our means of perceiving reality in order to understand it so we can know and use its laws to sustain our existence. It�s as simple as that. Wishing won't overcome the laws of gravity. You have to build an airplane. Wishing will not keep you warm and dry in the rain. You have to do something -- but you must first choose to do something (free will), you must think. Our consciousness, our means of survival, cannot manipulate the nature of reality so we must learn the laws of identity to build a roof over our heads, make a plane fly, a boat float, or to make a ham sandwich. It's an important distinction in my personal beliefs and in my books. This is the way in which my philosophy drives my work."

So I am wondering if you think this would be a good celebrity for the cause and has anyone tried to reach out to Terry Goodkind?

LibertyCzar
07-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Has anyone tried to get a Terry Goodkind endorsement or appearance? Would that be valuable?

LibertyCzar
07-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Doesn't anyone know? I thought this was a straightforward question. Someone must know. Everyone should have an opinion.

Carole
07-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Seems it is worth looking into, maybe if someone could contact Terry Goodkind with some questions.

Is that a nom de plume? Goodkind? Interesting name seems fabricated. :)

Grimnir Wotansvolk
07-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Might help to snag the geeks who are walking that awkward tightrope between libertarianism and progressivism