PDA

View Full Version : Forum usage tips & tricks

Mahkato
07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
It's apparent to me that a lot of people don't know how to customize their experience on the forum, so I thought I'd offer a couple of tips.

Click on User CP (control panel) near the top left corner of every page and look at all the settings. You have to be signed in to have your own User CP. Some of my favorite settings changes are:

Under Edit Options, in the Messaging & Notification section, you can set it to automatically "subscribe" you to threads you've commented in, so that it's easier to go back to threads you're interested in and see if anyone replied to you.

Under Edit Options, in the Thread Display Options section, you can turn off Avatars and/or Signatures, which greatly reduces clutter when reading posts. I also set my Number of Posts To Show Per Page setting to the maximum so that I don't have to click Next a thousand times when reading a long thread.

Any other tips people care to share?

acptulsa
07-24-2008, 09:18 AM
If we don't enjoy your company as much as you'd like because you're sick of the flash pictures on the main page trying to crash your computer (not everyone has the Bugatti of computers on their desks) you can come in the back door by websearching your handle. This should land you in your CP, and you can hit "new posts". You can also go to specific forums if they are represented in new posts by clicking the name of the forum of choice from the right hand side of that screen.

Kludge
07-24-2008, 09:19 AM
You could just modify your web browser settings to not show flash :p

acptulsa
07-24-2008, 09:21 AM
You could just modify your web browser settings to not show flash :p

Depends on if it is a work computer or a library computer and access is provided to those controls. Besides, coming in that way lets you check your messages and etc. easily as well. But, yes, good suggestion.