PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul marcher recounts scary police conduct in DC

porcupine
07-23-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFPefqDnMZg

steph3n
07-23-2008, 08:06 PM
umm maybe they wanted some pics from a great vantage point of all the people attending for their personal collections?!

RickyJ
07-23-2008, 09:28 PM
The capital police were just doing their job here. You just can't leave backpacks on the Capitol lawn especially during a rally. If it would have been a bomb then they could have saved some lives here with their actions.

SteveB-NY
07-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Sorry folks but "scary" police conduct?
An unattended bag left on the grounds of the U.S. Capital and the cops aren't going to expect the worst? Come on, not all police activity is the Gestapo knocking down the door.
I personally did not see any police activity at the March or Rally that I found "scary". Actually the cops I saw on the capital grounds were fine.

As far as the picture taking, if you are afraid of having your picture taken then don't come to NY where there are cameras on almost every lampost. Was it taken for record keeping purposes in case there was a problem? Maybe. Was it to match up the red, blue, and pink mailbox dots? Maybe. But when pictures are being taken so openly it doesn't worry me.

Sematary
07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
I talked to some of the cops there. They were mostly bored.

steph3n
07-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I talked to some of the cops there. They were mostly bored.
ahh then their evil ploy is working!

Let us lull those paulbots to sleep telling them we are incredibly bored.

Really some of the ideas on here are crazy :)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-24-2008, 05:18 AM
The capital police were just doing their job here. You just can't leave backpacks on the Capitol lawn especially during a rally. If it would have been a bomb then they could have saved some lives here with their actions.

I think the issue was the treatment of the person after the backpack had been claimed.

At that point, it would seem to turn into a person with backpack, which is a non situation.

I'm not really defending or condemning anything, as I don't know anything. Just sayin.

ronpaulhawaii
07-24-2008, 07:05 AM
I was right there, the handcuffing was done far from all and we have no idea what transpired. The cops who told everyone to get off the wall/stand back caused a bit of confusion/tension, until asked why and they pointed out the backpack. At that point everyone understood. Looking at the backpack in the middle of an empty field, it was strange. The owner was found within moments and everyone went right back to the wall.

This report seems to be unnecessary sensationalism and drama... IMO- the cops were fine. Friendly, and interested... The only two "situations" I saw were the backpack incident, and the "F**k the Gov't" sign incident. Neither resulted in an arrest, so this seems a non-issue.

AZ Libertarian
07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
There was another incident where a participant was a little too inebriated, and was falling down on top of people. I was speaking with the individual when two officers approached. I backed away, and they handled the situation appropriately in my opinion. Most officers I spoke with were very friendly and helpful.

But there was one.....

I was in charge of the Assembly/Departure point. Once the March began, the crowd started to surge forward, and that endangered some of the eldderly and those with young children. I had the bullhorn and was attempting to slow the crowd down so there would be no trampling, and out of the corner of my eye I see an officer standing behind me, and he's motioning to the crowd to go faster, essentially creating a hazard that I was attempting to avoid. Did he get the call that the 'fresh donuts' sign was lit up, and we were keeping him from something important!?!

I don't know, but that was my only beef with TPTB in DC.

Lt. Marshal Ed