PDA

View Full Version : ABC News Reports Increase in Food Prices, Fails to Explain Cause

Feenix566
07-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I was watching the ABC evening news last night, as I do from time to time. There was a report by some female reporter whose name I cannot remember on the rising prices of food. She went on and on about how the prices of beef, poultry, and dairy are all going up. She even mentioned that it was all caused by the rising price of corn, which has doubled in the last year. She then proceeded to conclude her report without a single word attempting to explain the cause of the rise in corn prices!

How can we explain this glaring omission? Obviously, the producers of the ABC evening news DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW that it's all caused by ethanol. As we Internet news junkies all know, the government-mandated ethanol addition to gasoline has caused both the price of gas and the price of corn to go up. This, in turn is causing the prices of everything that comes from a dairy farm to go up, because farmers feed corn to their livestock. This is also causng the prices of everything that gets shipped to go up, because of the rising price of gasoline. (Admittedly, rising gas prices have other causes as well.)

Why don't the producers of ABC nightly news want you to know that ethanol is hurting your wallet? The simplest explanation is that they're a bunch of hippies who don't want anyone to know how much harm their environmentally-friendly policies are causing.

I just can't believe how obvious the omission was. How many more things are they not telling us? Prior to the Internet, these media moguls were the gatekeepers to all knowledge. Thank goodness we're finally starting to take away their monopoly on information!

micahnelson
07-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Close.

Everything is going up in price because our unit of exchange is going down.

Its inflation, plain and simple. Think of inflation as a multiplier.

Yes, oil is going up because there is higher demand.
Yes food prices are going up due to increased ethanol use.
Yes housing and oil prices went up due to some speculation in the market.

The biggest issue is inflation, which exacerbates all the other problems.

Feenix566
07-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Close.

Everything is going up in price because our unit of exchange is going down.

Its inflation, plain and simple. Think of inflation as a multiplier.

Yes, oil is going up because there is higher demand.
Yes food prices are going up due to increased ethanol use.
Yes housing and oil prices went up due to some speculation in the market.

The biggest issue is inflation, which exacerbates all the other problems.

Yeah, that too. All these causes influence the final outcome. And none of them get mentioned by the mainstream media. So voters don't know what to ask their politicians to stop doing, so nothing will change.