PDA

View Full Version : Bound to happen

acptulsa
07-22-2008, 08:47 AM
From yahoo:

MONDAY, July 21 (HealthDay News) -- Because they can be nearly silent, hybrid cars pose a serious threat of injury and death to blind and visually impaired people, says the American Council of the Blind, which is pushing the auto industry and government officials to develop ways to reduce this danger.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Traditionally, people who are blind or visually impaired learn to rely on their hearing and tactile cues to provide them with information about their environment, which they can use to navigate safely across streets and through other vehicular ways, such as parking lots. In so doing, the sound of traffic is their primary focus," Melanie Brunson, council executive director, said in a news release from the council.

"Traffic sounds provide information about such things as the position of vehicles, their direction of travel, their rate of acceleration, and the speed at which they are likely to move. With this information, the pedestrian can make informed decisions about when to cross a street or other vehicular way safely," she said.

Without those sound cues, a blind or visually impaired person is at serious risk.

"Imagine you are a blind person traveling independently with the aid of your cane, something you have done confidently for years," Dr. Ron Millman, chair of the council's public relations committee, said in the news release.

"You are crossing a fairly busy intersection. You listen for sounds of approaching cars. All cars seem stopped. Suddenly, you hear screeching brakes. Too late, you realize a quiet, nearly silent, hybrid car is only a few inches from you. Panic takes over. Every sense of survival says to run, but where? There is not time to escape as you face this horror and possible life-threatening situation."

But this danger isn't limited to blind or visually impaired people, said Dr. Karen Gourgey, a member of the council's environmental access committee.

"Recent studies have shown that even people who are fully sighted use hearing as well as vision to make street crossing decisions, though they may not realize it. And we haven't even mentioned children and older people," Gourgey said in the news release.

The efforts of the council and other advocates for the blind are having an effect. Last week, the U.S. Federal Highway Traffic Safety Administration held its first public meeting on the issue.

The American Council for the Blind offers tips on how to help blind people.

Yeah, yeah. I know, some people are too stupid to figure this out all on their own. Nonetheless, once a white cane meant something. Anyone who ignores them needs to be prosecuted whether or not their vehicle can be heard.

Civilization requires certain things of us.

SnappleLlama
07-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Wow...it's terrible that I never even considered the threats hybrid cars posed for blind people (or even kids...they may not even notice the car until it's too late).

SeanEdwards
07-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, at least they'll be breathing cleaner air as they bleed out in the gutter.

SnappleLlama
07-22-2008, 09:01 AM
well, at least they'll be breathing cleaner air as they bleed out in the gutter.

rofl!!

acptulsa
07-22-2008, 09:01 AM
My sister has a Prius and once you own one, it does not take long for a person of even average intelligence to figure out that it can move almost silently. Driving--or operating any heavy machinery--must be done attentively.

John E
07-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I heard about this some weeks back and at first I thought it was stupid but after careful consideration (aka driving and walking around town) I realized that the audible alert is a very good idea for the general safety of children, other drivers and others.

constituent
07-22-2008, 09:14 AM
My sister has a Prius and once you own one, it does not take long for a person of even average intelligence to figure out that it can move almost silently. Driving--or operating any heavy machinery--must be done attentively.

+1 excellent get away cars.

Catatonic
07-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I've known guys who hook up external speaker systems that play an engine note, increasing in volume as the engine revs. Its not that expensive or difficult to do. Something like this could be implemented for electric cars. I'm sure there are other solutions as well.

As a side note, I read somewhere that once you consider the energy used to create the batteries used by a Prius, it actually consumes more oil than an H1. Anyone know if thats true?

acptulsa
07-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I've known guys who hook up external speaker systems that play an engine note, increasing in volume as the engine revs. Its not that expensive or difficult to do. Something like this could be implemented for electric cars. I'm sure there are other solutions as well.

Big subwoofers and Beethoven. It has the electrical system to handle it!

As a side note, I read somewhere that once you consider the energy used to create the batteries used by a Prius, it actually consumes more oil than an H1. Anyone know if thats true?

No, but it is plausible. The hybrids carry a lot of extra weight. This weight allows them to augment the engine (allowing the engine to be smaller, a particular advantage at slow speeds and idle) and allows them to recapture braking energy and reuse it in acceleration. Both these things are unquestionably good, and seem to "outweigh" the weight factor.

A better question still about the batteries is are they an environmental hazard when discarded?

Conza88
07-22-2008, 09:28 AM
I think you will find... deaths due to hybrid cars will kill more people than global warming...

Ohhh the fucken irony.

acptulsa
07-22-2008, 09:29 AM
i think you will find... Deaths due to hybrid cars will kill more people than global warming...

Ohhh the fucken irony.

lol

amy31416
07-22-2008, 09:30 AM
A better question still about the batteries is are they an environmental hazard when discarded?

They use nicke metal hydride batteries which can be fully recycled, as long as they are properly disposed of, this should not be a problem.

Ninja Homer
07-22-2008, 09:34 AM

Great idea! I want one of those on my bike, along with an air horn. Then I probably won't have to yell at the walkers/joggers who like to go on the bike path all the time as I'm riding through.

Joe3113
07-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I think you will find... deaths due to hybrid cars will kill more people than global warming...

Ohhh the fucken irony.

I think i'll throw on an Al Gore mask and go on a rampage in a Prius.

lucius
07-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I think i'll throw on an Al Gore mask and go on a rampage in a Prius.

Too late, his son has already done this:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ht_gore_mugshot_070704_mn.jpg

Al Gore's Son Arrested Again on Drug Charges
Al Gore III, 24, Pulled Over Driving 100 MPH With Marijuana and Prescription Drugs in Car, Say Police
By MARCUS BARAM
July 4, 2007

Al Gore III, 24, was driving a blue Toyota Prius on the San Diego Freeway at about 100 mph at 2:15 a.m. Wednesday morning when a sheriff's deputy stopped him at the Crown Valley Parkway exit, said Jim Amormino, spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

The deputy smelled marijuana, a quantity of which he found in the vehicle, while also discovering two prescription bottles containing Valium, Vicadin, Xanax, and Adderall.

"He was cooperative and admitted to smoking marijuana very recently," Amormino told ABCNEWS.com. "None of those drugs in his possession did he have a prescription for," said the spokesman, adding that one of the bottles had no writing on it and one had partial writing on it in someone else's name.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3345350