PDA

View Full Version : Man threatening to jump from Senate building right now

pinkmandy
07-21-2008, 11:02 PM
It isn't any of our guys is it? :D

Maverick
07-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Where are you seeing this? All I'm seeing on the MSM is crap about Obama.

hillertexas
07-21-2008, 11:12 PM
http://rawstory.com/news/2008/DEVELOPING_MAN_THREATENS_TO_JUMP_FROM_0721.html

"An unidentified man is threatening to jump off the seventh floor of the atrium inside the Hart Senate Office Building. The Capitol Police have sealed off the area and are trying to talk the man off the railing, according to Senate sources.

"The man's identity is unknown but the Capitol Police are reportedly searching for the a Chinese translator... Sen. Barack Obama's (D-Ill.) office is on the seventh floor of the Hart Building."

Update: Roll Call (registration required) ...

#

"A crisis negotiator is on the scene, as are officers from the Metropolitan Police Department and D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services, Schneider said. Three men in white coats could also be seen on the atrium floor.

"Dozens of Capitol Police officers have also flooded the building, which is enveloped in an eerie quietness, while staffers continue to leave for the day as if nothing extraordinary is happening."

Update: The Hill ...

#

"Police have dealt with the man previously... declined to comment further until the situation was resolved."

"Police have closed the atrium but have not called for an evacuation."

Update: CBS News ...

#

"Update 3: A translator has been found and is talking to the man now.

"Update 4: Capitol Police have now removed all reporters from the Hart Building, saying the Senate has adjourned and the building is officially closed. A press conference is scheduled shortly."

Update: The Hill ...

#

"At 10:00 pm, Capitol Police spokeswoman Kimberly Schneider sent out the following information: No changes. Individual remains on the 7th floor railing of the Hart Bldg. USCP Crisis Negotiation Team along with language translators continue to talk to him and work to bring this to a safe conclusion."

DEVELOPING

Dr.3D
07-21-2008, 11:12 PM

Yeah, same here. Nothing but stupidity about Obama and McCain. Mostly Obama though.

pinkmandy
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM

It was just on CNN Headline News. I just saw it, didn't hear it because it's muted. One of their breaking news flash moments.

hillertexas
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25788596/

WASHINGTON - U.S. Capitol Police said a man is threatening to jump from the seventh floor of the Hart Building. The situation began about 5 p.m. Monday and police were still negotiating with the man at 11 p.m.

hillertexas
07-21-2008, 11:15 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0708/Man_threatens_to_jump_from_Hart_atrium.html

An unidentified man is threatening to jump off the seventh floor of the atrium inside the Hart Senate Office Building. The Capitol Police have sealed off the area and are trying to talk the man off the railing, according to Senate sources.

The man's identity is unknown but the Capitol Police are reportedly searching for the a Chinese translator.

This message was sent out to Senate offices at 6:13 p.m.: "At this time, the Hart Atrium and Seventh floor areas are temporarily closed due to police activity. All Members and staff are to avoid this area until further notice."

Sen. Barack Obama's (D-Ill.) office is on the seventh floor of the Hart Building.

The atrium inside the Hart Building extends up 90 feet.

Update 1 - Ryan Grim reports, as would be expected, a "very heavy" Capitol Police presence inside the Hart Building, where the incident continues to unfold.

Update 2 - Grim said the man appears t o be middle aged, and he is standing outside the railing on the seventh floor. He is moving around slightly but otherwise appears calm. He is talking to Capitol Police but it is unclear whether a translator has been found or whether the police are able to effectively communicate with him.

Update 3 - A translator has been found and is talking to the man now.

Update 4 - Capitol Police have now removed all reporters from the Hart Building, saying the Senate has adjourned and the buiding is officially closed. A press conference is scheduled shortly.

Update 5 - D.C. Metro Police have now inflated a cushion, which they have placed on the floor of the Hart atrium. It has been almost three hours since the man went over the railing (approximately 5:45 p.m.), and he is still there.

Update 6 - It's now 10:30 and the man is still on the ledge. Capitol Police Sgt. Kimberly Schneider says that they know who he is but won't release his name. A Mandarin speaker who heard the man said that his accent makes him sound as if he's from mainland China.

Update 7- At 12:50a.m., the man is still there and it's been seven hours. Schneider says the gentleman's "posture indicates he's tiring" and negotiators are still talking to him. Police would still not release his name.

hillertexas
07-21-2008, 11:20 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/21/AR2008072102807.html

A man who apparently does not speak English was perched for hours on a railing above the atrium of the Hart Senate Office Building last night, and U.S. Capitol Police said they were afraid he might plunge seven stories.

The man, who speaks Mandarin, climbed onto the railing about 5:45 p.m., authorities said. Late last night, crisis negotiators were communicating with the man through an interpreter, said Sgt. Kimberly Schneider, a spokeswoman for the Capitol Police.

"They are making slow and steady progress," Schneider said about 10 p.m. She said police know who the man is, but she did not disclose his identity.

The Senate was in session when the man climbed onto the rail, but there was no indication that the incident affected activities on the floor. The session adjourned about 7 p.m.

As Hart staff members straggled from the building, they said they had been told not to comment on the incident.

"We are hopeful we will be able to get him down," Schneider said of the man, who was on the building's top level, more than 50 feet above the floor of the atrium.

A source close to the investigation described the man's position as "very precarious."

There was no indication that the man had made threats or carried weapons.

The area of the seventh floor where the man climbed over the railing is closest to the offices of Sens. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.). There was no indication that the man had business with any Senate offices.

In addition to Capitol Police, city fire and rescue workers and D.C. police officers were at Hart, the newest of the Senate's three office buildings. Second Street NE directly in front of the office building was closed by police tape between C Street and Maryland Avenue NE. Otherwise, the incident appeared to cause little disruption.

"Let's hope it turns out okay," said Sen. Bernard Sanders (I-Vt.) as he headed home shortly before 10 p.m.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/07/21/PH2008072103177.jpg

pinkmandy
07-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Wonder why the staffers can't comment on the incident? I'd like to know why he's up there myself.

Maverick
07-21-2008, 11:33 PM
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/07/21/PH2008072103177.jpg

This is off-topic, but this picture reminds me of something that's occurred to me before about police cars. I noticed that they started changing colors and patterns on the paint a couple of years ago in my area, though I guess it's been happening everywhere. I'm guessing there's been some kind of concerted effort to apply whimsical paint schemes in an attempt to appear to be a sort of "Happy Fun Time Brigade," hasn't there?

TheSkeptic
07-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Too bad he wasn't a Senator. And didn't jump.

danberkeley
07-22-2008, 12:11 AM
jump! jump! jump! jump! jump! :-D

Uriel999
07-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Too bad he wasn't a Senator. And didn't jump.

Yeah, and I can even tell you of two senators who I wish would...

Truth Warrior
07-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Maybe his bribe to a Senator was turned downed. Nah, that doesn't happen. :D

hillertexas
07-22-2008, 08:48 AM
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/man-threatens-to-jump-from-hart-atrium-2008-07-21.html

UPDATE: At 1:00 A.M. Capitol Police were still working to get the man off the ledge. Schneider said the man had not moved more than a couple inches since he climbed over the railing, but that he looked as though he was getting tired. "His posture has definitely changed," she said. "He appears to be a little more tired."

UPDATE: United States Capitol Police early Tuesday resolved a situation in the Hart Senate Office Building atrium area, where a man had been threatening for hours to plunge himself from the seventh floor.
The unidentified man turned himself over to Capitol Police at approximately 2:00 am, according to police sources familiar with the events.

For more than eight hours, the man had stood about 50 feet above the ground on the outside ledge of the glass wall overlooking the building’s atrium as negotiators continued to speak with him through a translator in Mandarin Chinese, according to Capitol Police. He had climbed across the railing at about 5:45 pm on Monday.

“The U.S. Capitol Police responded to this event, established communications with the individual, and after several hours of deliberate negotiations, convinced him to return to safety on the correct side of the railing,” Capitol Police spokeswoman Sergeant Kimberly Schneider said in an e-mail circulated after 3:00 am.

Authorities had positioned an inflatable jump pad underneath him, but it was unclear whether they actually inflated it.

Schneider said that the Hart Building “will open at its usual time on Tuesday, July 22, 2008. All streets are open for normal business.”

V-rod
07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
s negotiators continued to speak with him through a translator in Mandarin Chinese

He found out he made a C on a class in his school report card :D

MRoCkEd
07-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, and I can even tell you of two senators who I wish would...
I can speak of 100.