PDA

View Full Version : 10 cent/gallon tax increase discussed! Time to fight!

tomveil
07-19-2008, 09:01 PM
I'd recommend letting your reps know how you feel about this one.....

-------------------------------------------
Idea of gas-tax holiday runs into a dead end
Talk now is to raise tax a dime a gallon to fund road improvements

WASHINGTON - The political vision of a summer gas tax holiday died a quick death in Congress, losing to a view that federal excise taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel will have to go up if they go anywhere.

Despite calls from the presidential campaign trail for a Memorial Day-to-Labor Day tax freeze, lawmakers quickly concluded — with a prod from the construction industry — that having $9 billion less to spend on highways could create a pre-election specter of thousands of lost jobs.

Read the Rest: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25751775/

---------------------------------------

What do you think, gang? 10 cents/gallon the best way to scrounge up an extra 9 billion? Remember to tell everybody you meet. 9 billion = 10 cents a gallon = 3 weeks in IRAQ!

Maximus
07-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Now that gas has dropped twenty cents to "only" $4.30 here in San Diego, I read this cr@p

Wow, just wow.

Truth Warrior
07-19-2008, 10:28 PM
It's only ANOTHER measly 10 cents / gallon tax ( theft ). :p :rolleyes:

constituent
07-19-2008, 10:43 PM
It's only ANOTHER measly 10 cents / gallon tax ( theft ). :p :rolleyes:

lol, exactly.

c'mon man, it's for the children.

and...

you like having roads, right?

Truth Warrior
07-19-2008, 10:48 PM
lol, exactly.

and...

Q: How does the state provide roads?

A: They very often contract with road building and equipment companies. ;)

AutoDas
07-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I wonder how far technology would have advanced if we didn't have to fund these ancient roads. People wouldn't be so spread out of the continental states and they'd take efficient forms of ground transportations.

Truth Warrior
07-19-2008, 10:58 PM
I wonder how far technology would have advanced if we didn't have to fund these ancient roads. People wouldn't be so spread out of the continental states and they'd take efficient forms of ground transportations.
And burn less gasoline. :D The OIL lobby wouldn't like that AT ALL. ;)

Dr.3D
07-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I thought we already had around a 50 cent gasoline tax. What's the matter, isn't the inflated money going as far is it used to?

Fox McCloud
07-19-2008, 11:52 PM
You know, I think Americans would be shocked to learn that only about 60 percent of the gas tax money that they pay today actually goes into highway and bridge construction. Much of it goes in many, many other areas.

source: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/transportation/july-dec07/infrastructure_08-15.html

Oh how lovely--the gas tax could theoretically be 40% lower than it currently is and it'd still cover the cost of funding roads, highways, etc.

How about we reduce the tax on gasoline to 16 cents per gallon, and the tax on diesel to 20 cents a gallon--in addition, the bill would stipulate that 100% of the revenue collected on these taxes must be spent on roads, bridges, highways, etc--and nothing else.

Truth Warrior
07-20-2008, 12:03 AM
source: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/transportation/july-dec07/infrastructure_08-15.html

Oh how lovely--the gas tax could theoretically be 40% lower than it currently is and it'd still cover the cost of funding roads, highways, etc.

How about we reduce the tax on gasoline to 16 cents per gallon, and the tax on diesel to 20 cents a gallon--in addition, the bill would stipulate that 100% of the revenue collected on these taxes must be spent on roads, bridges, highways, etc--and nothing else.
ZERO works for me. ;)

Thomas_Paine
07-20-2008, 01:46 AM
well how do you think they are going to pay for the NAFTA Superhighway?

Truth Warrior
07-20-2008, 02:05 AM
well how do you think they are going to pay for the NAFTA Superhighway?
The Fed will just write another check. :p

DFF
07-20-2008, 03:16 AM
^^^ Who is responsible for this bullshit.

The Fed created too much money to hook-up JP Morgan with Bear Sterns, and now, bail out Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.

Now, who gets to foot the bill?

The people.

Ahhh...the beauty of the inflation tax. :rolleyes:

truelies
07-20-2008, 05:37 AM
Geez a mere 10 cents to save the Children of starving construction company execs.......what sort of animal would oppose that

Fox McCloud
07-20-2008, 06:47 AM
ZERO works for me. ;)

being a Libertarian, I agree whole-heartedly, that said, I merely proposed what I did because it would be a transition-period--people would still be paying tax, but less, and it would force the funds to be used for what they're intended.

Truth Warrior
07-20-2008, 06:50 AM
being a Libertarian, I agree whole-heartedly, that said, I merely proposed what I did because it would be a transition-period--people would still be paying tax, but less, and it would force the funds to be used for what they're intended.
If it's not at gunpoint forget it. :D

satchelmcqueen
07-20-2008, 02:42 PM
and dont forget..."well at least we dont pay $10 a gallon like over in blah blah blah!"

Sheep: "Well, in that case Batman, ill gladly pay $9 a gallon and smile as i do so. We are so lucky."

mediahasyou
07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Politicians dont want gasoline prices lower.

TC95
07-20-2008, 08:47 PM

and...

Yeah! What evil monster could even THINK of depriving the poor little children of ROADS! Just get outta this country if you don't wanna be taxed for the sake of the CHILDREN! JERK!