PDA

View Full Version : Timing of the LSP

SaratogaForRonPaul
07-19-2008, 05:15 PM
First off, I would like to congratulate you for doing this. Creating an organization and a PAC is a very clever method to accomplish this.

I do have a concern, and that is with the timing of the LSP. You have it listed as September 24th, which only gives the candidates a month and change before their elections. When you consider media buys are upwards of 6-8 weeks ahead of time, this does not give enough time to make a real impact to help these candidates. Many potential volunteers and donators may wait until a favorite is chosen and not contribute until after the LSP.

In addition, many of the remaining candidates still have primaries, where the help is needed immediately. For instance, in NY, NH, and many other states, the primaries are on September 9th. I have a very competitive race in an open seat, but I really only have a good chance if I win the Republican primary (I am also in the Libertarian party). That means I need support now to make a difference.

1) So the question is, can the LSP be moved up?
2) Can it be like PaulCongress.com and be a showcase for the Candidates now?
3) Can you discourage the concept of waiting until the actual Straw Poll for people to donate and volunteer to these candidates?

nayjevin
07-20-2008, 02:39 AM
2) Can it be like PaulCongress.com and be a showcase for the Candidates now?

I would love to see LSP incorporate a thumbnail view of candidates like that site does, and a sort of scorecard.

Bryan
07-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for then note (sorry I missed this earlier...)- on the questions:

1) Yes- all dates are tentative, and things are coming together faster than expected. An issue to contend with is other events which include the Rally for the Republic, September 2nd, and the Republican Liberty Caucus National Convention, which is Sept 12-14. We're thinking of moving it to a Tuesday (traditional voting day. :)) so either September 9th or August 26th could work. September 9th might be best since it would allow promoting / ticket sales at the Rally for the Republic and be 8 weeks before the election.

2) Yes- we could list any candidate that has expressed interest (and passed a simple liberty platform benchmark) like PaulCongress.com, that's a good idea.

3) Our target audience, that we hope to hit, is the large group who wouldn't otherwise donate or volunteer since they don't know where to begin or see the process as an overwhelming venture. We will be encouraging everyone to pre-research the candidates and adding to donate and volunteer is a good idea. As the straw poll is only $10 people should be able to donate. :)

Unfortunately we did get a late start to not interfere with other efforts, we will have more of these in the future and they will allow for more time. Also, we are using the American Liberty Coalition as a sponsor PAC (those who created the ad that won the CNN/Youtube debate contest, did the High Tide ad and more).

Thanks again- and great to see the interest!

SaratogaForRonPaul
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Great, thanks for the answers. September 9th is still an issue, because of few of the candidates will be having their primaries on that day and would not be able to participate on that day.

Bryan
07-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I really appreciate the input- this is why the dates are tentative... :) but we've got a final date now- September 17th. This will allow us to work around the 9th (more or less)- it's not as soon as an ideal day but I think its going to be the best possible. It basically comes down to I'd rather raise more closer to some deadlines vs. going early and risk not hitting near the potential. We'll have more time to more optimally plan future events.

Thanks again.

Roxi
07-22-2008, 07:16 AM
FINE, at least i can remember that day, its my birthday :D