PDA

View Full Version : 60 people attend peace vigil in Portsmouth's Market Square (Ron Paul)

Green Mountain Boy
08-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Here's your story Alex!!

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070829/FOSTERS01/708290054

Wednesday, August 29, 2007
About 60 people attend peace vigil in Portsmouth's Market Square

By GRETYL MACALASTER
Democrat Staff Writer

PORTSMOUTH — Liz Comeau and her 18-year-old son, Alex Amorelli, are not the kind of people who typically attend peace vigils.

As loyal members of the Republican party, the mother and son duo know most of their political views differ from the Democratic majority they teamed up with in Market Square on Tuesday to voice opposition to the Iraq war.

Comeau and Amorelli joined about 60 others, however, because they believe their presidential candidate, Ron Paul, is the only one truly committed to immediate troop withdrawal.

Organized by moveon.org, a popular education and advocacy website created before the last presidential election, candlelight vigils were held around the country Tuesday in order to ask members of Congress to redeploy troops after returning from recess in September.

Congress will hear a report from Gen. David Petraeus upon their return in September on the troop surge and will make a decision whether to redeploy troops.

The peace vigil mirrored those previously held in Market Square, with people holding candles and carrying placards calling for an end to the war. The event lasted about an hour.

Forming three circles in Market Square, those in attendance read off a list of troops that have died since the onset of the War in Iraq. Each reader listed the hometowns of each service member lost during a two-week period of time.

Although Comeau said she finds it more powerful to hear the names and ages of the soldiers who have lost their lives in Iraq, she felt it was important to attend.

Amorelli recently received what he termed a "slick" solicitation from the U.S. Army in the mail. Comeau sent it back to them with a note informing the Army they are against the war and to please stop sending solicitations.

Lynn Rutter of Portsmouth said she would like to see Congress make a decision to redeploy the troops as soon as possible.

"I am an educator and when I think of children who have lost their parents I think, it is not only the loss of a parent ... but a parent returning to a family that has experienced what they have," Rutter said.

A family friend of Rutter's is about to be sent back for his second tour of duty and his wife has lost all her hair from stress, Rutter said. Stories like this moved her to action.

"All I know is we are causing a lot of destruction," Rutter said.

AlexAmore
08-29-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm so excited!

Here is where it took place, except it was around 7:00PM and getting dark.
http://mikegeraci.com/db4/00346/mikegeraci.com/_uimages/Square.JPG