PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia All That Stands in the Way of 50-State Barr Ballot Access!

Knightskye
07-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Dear friend,

I urgently need your help.

I'm in Charleston, West Virginia attempting to get Bob Barr on the ballot. When I arrived early Wednesday morning, I didn't think it would be possible, but I had to give it a shot.

We're headed toward 48 state ballot access. Only West Virginia and Oklahoma are problems. However, there is hope in Oklahoma as we have just filed a lawsuit to get Bob Barr and Wayne Root on the ballot there.

If we win that case, only West Virginia will stand in our way of 50 state ballot access - an apex of achievement for a third-party candidate and something the media cannot ignore.

But here's my problem.

There is no active Libertarian Party in West Virginia and a very limited pool of volunteers.

I have had to bring in out-of-state petitioners from across the nation to get this drive done.

So far I have 13 petitioners on the ground and another nine on their way.

I didn't think we would have the manpower to get the drive done, but now I think it's a possibility. I have enough petitioners in the state and on their way to collect enough signatures by our August 1st deadline.
West Virginia Ballot Access
But I won't have the money to finish the drive if I don't raise $43,000 by close of business on Monday.

Russ Verney, our campaign manager, wrote to me this morning and instructed me to shut down the drive if I cannot raise the funds by COB Monday.

So far this month, we're raised less than $100,000. We're even off pace from our June fundraising totals.

The campaign cannot afford this ballot drive as I write this. We would have to choose between basic campaign operations or the possibility of 50 state ballot access.

Russ has to make a tough call on this drive but he did give me 96 hours to raise the funds to continue the effort.

I ask that you keep this drive alive by helping me raise $43,000 by close of business on Monday.

Please make an emergency donation to fund the West Virginia ballot access drive right now. Please give generously by clicking here.

My friend, I've only been in this state for a few days and we need to be on the ballot here.

When I arrived in West Virginia it was 2:30 in the morning. I pulled into a hotel parking lot and a restaurant owner and one of her patrons were standing outside smoking a cigarette.

They didn't look too happy.

As it turns out, just a few weeks earlier the county had banned smoking in all "enclosed workplaces" including bars and restaurants.

I'm not a smoker, but it's the property owner's decision to allow or disallow smoking on their premises - it is not a county bureaucrats' decision.

When I explained libertarian philosophy to them and told them about our candidate Bob Barr, their eyes lit up.

They did not know that there is an alternative to the two-party system. They didn't know that there is a party that respects an individual's rights and personal decisions.

Since then, I've talked to many more folks in this state and the same holds true. We need to give West Virginians a better choice and the only way to do that is to get Bob Barr on the ballot.

Please donate today and help me keep this drive alive. I have two weeks left to pull it off and I sincerely need your support.

A gift of $50, $100, $250 or more would be a significant help. If you can't give $50, give $5 or $10. Every dollar gets us one step closer to getting a pro-liberty candidate on the ballot in what could be our final ballot access hurdle.

Thank you for all that you do.

In Liberty,

Shane Cory
Deputy Campaign Manager
Bob Barr 2008

They need $43,000 by Monday to get a petition drive going and get on the ballot in West Virginia. Bob Barr can be on the ballot in all 50 states! But he needs money and he needs it now.

And if you live in West Virginia, or near enough that you can get there and help gather petitions, that would help too. ;) It might help if you asked them not to pay you.

Get on it! All 50 states!! :D

qh4dotcom
07-18-2008, 11:52 PM
I made my contribution but I can't understand the importance of WV....Many West Virginians like welfare and Senator Byrd bringing home the bacon from Washington....Barr's limited government and spending cuts means less money from Washington and Senator Byrd for West Virginians...there has to be a reason why Ron Paul only got 5% of the vote there. Also the LP needs to win the Oklahoma lawsuit to get 50 state ballot access....and an election can be won with 48 state ballot access...West Virginia and Oklahoma don't have many electoral votes to offer.

zahirakids
07-19-2008, 05:32 AM
I made my contribution but I can't understand the importance of WV....Many West Virginians like welfare and Senator Byrd bringing home the bacon from Washington....Barr's limited government and spending cuts means less money from Washington and Senator Byrd for West Virginians...there has to be a reason why Ron Paul only got 5% of the vote there. Also the LP needs to win the Oklahoma lawsuit to get 50 state ballot access....and an election can be won with 48 state ballot access...West Virginia and Oklahoma don't have many electoral votes to offer.

True but the LP is the only third party in the last fifty years to attain 50 state ballot access multiple years. It will make his campaign more legitimate and get good media coverage if he gets 50 state ballot access. This is one plus for Barr over Baldwin. The CP just does not have the ballot access to be a credible candidate. No offense though.

mdmarino
07-19-2008, 05:44 AM
there has to be a reason why Ron Paul only got 5% of the vote there.

I'd guess it's because WV has a closed primary (you have to be registered "R" to vote in it), so not many independent types voted in the Rep primary.

WV is historically a "D" state - yes, they LOVE Byrd and his "goodies" - but they're mostly Reagan-dems (white, working class, socially conservative dems). I don't think they like Barack too much (for a variety of reasons, and not all valid ones). McCain will win it, but there's an opening here for Barr to pick up some extra points and credibility, even if he doesn't win the state. I can probably talk most of my family there into voting for him if he's on the ballot.

Up Front
07-19-2008, 05:46 AM
bob barr is a piece of shit neo-con

Up Front
07-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Hey Shane Cory Deputy Campaign Manager for Bob Barr 2008

WHY DID BARR vote for:

The Patriot ACT
Iraq War
No Child left behind
Homeland Security
and on and on and on

His voting record proves he is no libertarian and he is not a fiscal conservative

Gin
07-19-2008, 05:52 AM
Umm...actually you are completely waaay off base here....

The reason Ron Paul only got 5% here is because there are alot of WVirginians that live in the hills and we didn't have the coverage... much of wv is still on dialup.... without internet access...not many can be informed about the truth through means of the internet. And boots on the ground in the smaller more remote cities were harder to achieve...not to mention RP only made one stop here. I suggested to the campaign on several occasions for a rally at WVU and Marshall in order to spread the message... but that fell on deaf ears.....

As far as your welfare comment...granted there are some folks that work the system,(that's in any state) For the most part WV is a depressed state....ie... the poorest state in the nation I believe or at least one of..... Heck our teachers are going across state lines for better pay. Why do you think everyone that works in DC lives in WV? Cuz it's cheap!! Try working in WV and living in WV....

As far as being a blue state... for the past 2 election cycles WV has gone red.... they won't go for Obama and they will accept McCain only because he is the lessor of 2 evils....WVirginians dislike McCain! Ron Paul could have easily swung this state had the campaign put the work into it. Barr or Baldwin could easily win as well, but they MUST get into the hills and let folks know there is an alternative.... if you don't get the message that there is a choice, McCain WILL win the state....

ronpaulhawaii
07-19-2008, 07:59 AM
bob barr is a ...

Welcome to the forum. Please read the forum guidelines, and see if you can become a valuable member, rather than just another flamer:rolleyes:.

FYI- Default use of bold or CAPS is never a good way to make friends.

Enjoy

:)

IPSecure
07-19-2008, 08:04 AM
West Virginia All That Stands in the Way of 50-State Barr Ballot Access!

Way to go West Virginia!

I am sick of the barr pushing on this site. Look at his voting record. Look at his past.

This is a Ron Paul forum. Take the barr posts to the barr forums...

tonesforjonesbones
07-19-2008, 08:54 AM
I am convinced there are trolls who come on this site daily to trash Bob Barr. tones

Unspun
07-19-2008, 08:57 AM
This is a Ron Paul forum.

Hello IPSecure, this is reality. Just so you know Ron Paul ended campaigning for presidency a few weeks ago. Not sure if you knew that or not.

1000-points-of-fright
07-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Way to go West Virginia!

I am sick of the barr pushing on this site. Look at his voting record. Look at his past.

So you support the perpetuation of the 2 party system. Thanks for ruining America.

tonesforjonesbones
07-19-2008, 09:00 AM
BOB BARR 2008! I am SO glad the LP is now on most of the ballots! TONES

IPSecure
07-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Hello IPSecure, this is reality. Just so you know Ron Paul ended campaigning for presidency a few weeks ago. Not sure if you knew that or not.

Maybe you did not listen to what Dr. Paul said a few days ago...

Listen to the first answer...

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=192

"The campaign continues..."
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/rd_ron_paul_071106_mn.jpg

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 09:11 AM
I am convinced there are trolls who come on this site daily to trash Bob Barr. tones

It benefits McCain and Baldwin. Pick the motivation, you know where the troll comes from... if they are Baldwin supporters... it doesn't speak well for the CP.
Especially since the chair of the LP in louisiana is helping CP candidates too.
We are building bridges... now the trolls have come home to roost.

They are doing McCain a favor, whether they realize it or not.

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Did we get on in Oklahoma? I thought we had to sue to get on in that state?

IPSecure
07-19-2008, 09:14 AM
So you support the perpetuation of the 2 party system. Thanks for ruining America.

Putting words in my mouth?

How Libertarian of you... (sarcasm)

I am, and will always will be a Ron Paul supporter.

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Maybe you did not listen to what Dr. Paul said a few days ago...

Listen to the first answer...

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=192

"The campaign continues..."
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/rd_ron_paul_071106_mn.jpg

Ron Paul was talking about the continuation of his campaign in this surprise visit to Mr. Smiths the night before the July 12th rally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqg-HkbBD0
a must see!

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 09:15 AM
"We have two problems in Washington (D.C.), the democrats and the republicans." - Ron Paul, July 11th at Mr. Smiths. Washington, D.C.

ARealConservative
07-19-2008, 09:31 AM
"We have two problems in Washington (D.C.), the democrats and the republicans." - Ron Paul, July 11th at Mr. Smiths. Washington, D.C.

"Today. few Republicans in public life have been courageous or principled enough to speak out against a clear abuse of power. (Among them are Bruce Fein .... and Bob Barr.)" ~ Ron Paul - The Revolution, A Manifesto p 44.

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 09:36 AM
"Today. few Republicans in public life have been courageous or principled enough to speak out against a clear abuse of power. (Among them are Bruce Fein .... and Bob Barr.)" ~ Ron Paul - The Revolution, A Manifesto p 44.

Um, to run as a libertarian, knowing that you will be mocked and poked at... takes a bit more committment than hiding in the congress.
Who Barr was... and who he will become, may very well depend on how we treat him as a libertarian.
We win by making more ex-neocons. We aren't going to get many more people in this movement by showing them redemption is not possible, because the purist will demand they be burned at the stake for their past mistakes.

AJ Antimony
07-19-2008, 12:20 PM

The latest Zogby poll had Barr at 9% in Oklahoma. I don't remember where he was in WV... probably 3-5% if they even said it at all.

rich34
07-19-2008, 12:32 PM
I live right outside of Charleston WV, and I can tell you from the people I talked to, Ron Paul would be very well recieved in WV if the media only showed him on tv. We have an older population in our state and as other people have pointed out most still have no internet.

With that said I went to the Obama rally here in Charleston because my wife did sign language for this event and I can tell you that I spoke to some older democrats and when I mentioned Ron Paul their eyes lit up and said "if he was on the ballot in November I'd vote for him over obama." My dad is a hardcore old school democrat and he said the samething.

As for Barr, (and I'm not a flipping troll! I've been here since just about the beginning) I see him as a neocon and at the very least neocon-lite. As some have pointed out just look at his voting record. However I will say this, just to help the third parties out if I do get a phone call asking who I'd vote for I will go along and say Barr just to try and break the strangle hold of the two party system, but I'm still going to have a hard time voting for Mr. Barr and will probably end up voting for Baldwin.

And to any of those that want to call me a troll I'm going to go ahead and give you a STFU!

1000-points-of-fright
07-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Putting words in my mouth?

How Libertarian of you... (sarcasm)

I am, and will always will be a Ron Paul supporter.

Not at all. This thread is entitled "West Virginia All That Stands in the Way of 50-State Barr Ballot Access!"

You replied with "Way to go West Virginia", and with no hint of sarcasm I might add. Therefore, one can surmise that you approve of preventing 3rd party ballot access. Not very Ron Paulian of you even if you do hate Barr.

rockandrollsouls
07-19-2008, 12:42 PM
I live right outside of Charleston WV, and I can tell you from the people I talked to, Ron Paul would be very well recieved in WV if the media only showed him on tv. We have an older population in our state and as other people have pointed out most still have no internet.

With that said I went to the Obama rally here in Charleston because my wife did sign language for this event and I can tell you that I spoke to some older democrats and when I mentioned Ron Paul their eyes lit up and said "if he was on the ballot in November I'd vote for him over obama." My dad is a hardcore old school democrat and he said the samething.

As for Barr, (and I'm not a flipping troll! I've been here since just about the beginning) I see him as a neocon and at the very least neocon-lite. As some have pointed out just look at his voting record. However I will say this, just to help the third parties out if I do get a phone call asking who I'd vote for I will go along and say Barr just to try and break the strangle hold of the two party system, but I'm still going to have a hard time voting for Mr. Barr and will probably end up voting for Baldwin.

And to any of those that want to call me a troll I'm going to go ahead and give you a STFU!

I see you as a neo-con lite. Do your research. Baldwin ain't no saint either. Just a reminder, he supported intervention in Iraq. He just wanted an official vote on it.

Barr has set things straight. Now, you can get a real liberty candidate into the white house that has moment and a plan or you can try to be a roadblock. If I was you, I'd swallow my "know it all" pride and give this man a shot. Hope you think this one through :)

Alex Libman
07-19-2008, 12:49 PM
In 2004 some good states' LP's still had ballot trouble (i.e. in NH), and you can't tell much from Ron Paul's primary election numbers, but starting with the 2008 vote I'm gonna be very judgmental about different U.S. states based on how well the libertarian candidates / parties do there. (This list includes the LP and the Boston Tea Party, but excludes theocratic parties which only bait their mousetraps with liberty.) Screw the red-state / blue-state divide, the real divide is the states where Barr & "friends" get above / below say 3%.

There will be boycotts. If I'm not gonna buy a car from a country where guns or homeschooling are outlawed, why would I buy one assembled in a state with draconian ballot access laws?

qh4dotcom
07-19-2008, 12:59 PM

Internet or not, old or young...there's no reason for not researching a presidential candidate you are considering voting for. The media is not holding a gun to West Virginians' heads and telling them who to vote for.

rich34
07-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I see you as a neo-con lite. Do your research. Baldwin ain't no saint either. Just a reminder, he supported intervention in Iraq. He just wanted an official vote on it.

Barr has set things straight. Now, you can get a real liberty candidate into the white house that has moment and a plan or you can try to be a roadblock. If I was you, I'd swallow my "know it all" pride and give this man a shot. Hope you think this one through :)

Yeah, ok, I'm neocon lite lol. I have done my research and unfortuneately there is no candidate that measures up to Ron Paul. And yes I agree all the candidates have their flaws, but Barr's record up until now is that of a neocon. That's just the fact of it. I'm entitled to my opinon just like you are. We're all trying to pick the lesser of evils and sometimes that's no easy task. Look, I understand the importance of breaking the 2 party system and even said I'd vote for Barr in the polls just to help him possibly get included into the debates so that we can break the two party system. But in the end it's still going to be hard to vote for him because of the way I view him based off of his votes in the house. How can you fault a man for shaping an opinion about a politican based off of his actions? He's going to have to prove to me that he's truely changed and really believes in the things he says.

rich34
07-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Internet or not, old or young...there's no reason for not researching a presidential candidate you are considering voting for. The media is not holding a gun to West Virginians' heads and telling them who to vote for.

I agree totally with your first point, but how is WV any different than all the other states that only registered around 5%? The uninformed sheeple are all over the country not just WV.

BarryDonegan
07-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Hey Shane Cory Deputy Campaign Manager for Bob Barr 2008

WHY DID BARR vote for:

The Patriot ACT
Iraq War
No Child left behind
Homeland Security
and on and on and on

His voting record proves he is no libertarian and he is not a fiscal conservative

bob barr is not hiding his past voting record. he answers these questions every time he is asked. if you don't believe him when he says he is changed on those subjects, so be it, but don't be a broken record about it.

familydog
07-19-2008, 03:36 PM

Fail. Nice try though.

http://www.newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin85.htm

AJ Antimony
07-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't think Barr is a neocon anymore. See, neocons are hellbent on keeping their power in the Republican Party. Neocons simply don't leave their party and go join the Libertarian Party, which is nothing more than signing the death certificate for your political career. For this reason alone I keep my mind open with Barr, but he's still not my kind of candidate.

JS4Pat
07-19-2008, 03:57 PM
I was in charge of getting Pat Buchanan (REFORM PARTY) on the ballot in West Virginia - summer of 2000.

Suggestions:

Every Wal Mart parking lot in the state. Be discreet - ask people on the way out not the way in. (Got kicked off their property on a daily basis - but it is the sweet spot for signatures.)

Comb the papers for all city/county events - Parades, festivals, Fairs, Truck Pulls etc. These are gold mines for signatures. People are relaxed and will listen to you.

Make your opening line something like: "Hi, can I get your help for just a second?" Don't ask "Would you mind signing my petition?" (Too easy to say no.)

Use the "register to vote" angle to your advantage. You're helping them by getting them registered to vote and they can vote for whover they want to in Novemeber - no matter what they register as.

Hire people - if possible. Offer incentives for "good" signatures.

Good Luck - West Virginia Ballot Access Laws SUCK!!!

G-Wohl
07-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Way to go West Virginia!

You clearly haven't read Ron Paul's book.... have you?

Theocrat
07-19-2008, 04:11 PM
They need $43,000 by Monday to get a petition drive going and get on the ballot in West Virginia. Bob Barr can be on the ballot in all 50 states! But he needs money and he needs it now.

And if you live in West Virginia, or near enough that you can get there and help gather petitions, that would help too. ;) It might help if you asked them not to pay you.

Get on it! All 50 states!! :D

According to the Libertarian Party's website (http://www.lp.org/ballot-access), they only have ballot access in 31 States. How then can you say that Bob Barr will eventually be on the ballot in all 50 States?

IPSecure
07-19-2008, 04:31 PM
You clearly haven't read Ron Paul's book.... have you?

Yes, I have. To 'speak out concerning a clear abuse of power', is different than what his voting record shows...

I have also seen the answers Dr. Paul gave when asked if he would endorse Barr...

rockandrollsouls
07-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Fail. Nice try though.

http://www.newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin85.htm

You're 100 percent wrong and if you check my posts there are some where I've included video, audio, and written accounts of what Chuck has said. I'm not going to search for it again because I've posted it time and again, but he very clearly stated he supported military action in Iraq with a congressional vote.

familydog
07-19-2008, 04:38 PM
You're 100 percent wrong and if you check my posts there are some where I've included video, audio, and written accounts of what Chuck has said. I'm not going to search for it again because I've posted it time and again, but he very clearly stated he supported military action in Iraq with a congressional vote.

Whatever you say boss. :rolleyes:

mport1
07-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Why waste money on ballet access in a few states as opposed to saving it for getting the word out?

rockandrollsouls
07-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Whatever you say boss. :rolleyes:

Here's a quote from him that I revived from an older post. What do you say to this?

He opposed the US action in Iraq on constitutional grounds: "It's not that Congress doesn't have the authority to declare war. It's just that it hasn't done so." However, he emphasizes that he strongly supported the US troops in Iraq while opposing "the unconstitutional procedures under which they were committed to fight."

Doesn't sound like he would have been to opposed to a declaration of war :rolleyes:

Knightskye
07-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Did we get on in Oklahoma? I thought we had to sue to get on in that state?

They filed the lawsuit, but I'm feeling optimistic about it.

According to the Libertarian Party's website (http://www.lp.org/ballot-access), they only have ballot access in 31 States. How then can you say that Bob Barr will eventually be on the ballot in all 50 States?

Did you read the message I quoted?

We're headed toward 48 state ballot access. Only West Virginia and Oklahoma are problems.

Don't be so cynical. Thou shalt not be a jerk. :p

Way to go West Virginia!

Dr. Paul ran as a Libertarian in 1988. Were you cheering on the establishment back then, too?

And yes I agree all the candidates have their flaws, but Barr's record up until now is that of a neocon.

It was up until 2003 that of a neocon. Or do you not know what year it is?

He's going to have to prove to me that he's truly changed and really believes in the things he says.

How is he supposed to do that?

I was in charge of getting Pat Buchanan (REFORM PARTY) on the ballot in West Virginia - summer of 2000.

Suggestions:

Every Wal-Mart parking lot in the state. Be discreet - ask people on the way out not the way in. (Got kicked off their property on a daily basis - but it is the sweet spot for signatures.)

Comb the papers for all city/county events - Parades, festivals, Fairs, Truck Pulls etc. These are gold mines for signatures. People are relaxed and will listen to you.

Make your opening line something like: "Hi, can I get your help for just a second?" Don't ask "Would you mind signing my petition?" (Too easy to say no.)

Use the "register to vote" angle to your advantage. You're helping them by getting them registered to vote and they can vote for whomever they want to in November - no matter what they register as.

Good stuff. If they don't get the $45,000 by Monday, we might need this information in a sticky, so we can get a group of West Virginia volunteers to scurry around and get signatures before the August 1st deadline. ;)

familydog
07-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Here's a quote from him that I revived from an older post. What do you say to this?

He opposed the US action in Iraq on constitutional grounds: "It's not that Congress doesn't have the authority to declare war. It's just that it hasn't done so." However, he emphasizes that he strongly supported the US troops in Iraq while opposing "the unconstitutional procedures under which they were committed to fight."

Doesn't sound like he would have been to opposed to a declaration of war :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for the video, audio, and written accounts. Link?

Knightskye
07-19-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm waiting for the video, audio, and written accounts. Link?

That wasn't Bob Barr. It was Michael A. Peroutka, the 2004 Constitution Party presidential nominee.

All it took was a Google search for "It's not that Congress doesn't have the authority to declare war. It's just that it hasn't done so" in quotation marks.

But Barr has repented and he wants to bring the troops home.

familydog
07-19-2008, 05:15 PM
That wasn't Bob Barr. It was Michael A. Peroutka, the 2004 Constitution Party presidential nominee.

All it took was a Google search for "It's not that Congress doesn't have the authority to declare war. It's just that it hasn't done so" in quotation marks.

Ok. I didn't say anything about Bob Barr. I never mentioned his name at all in this thread (except in this post). I guess I speak out against him so much that people have this kind of knee-jerk reaction to my posts lol. :p

AmericasLastHope
07-19-2008, 05:57 PM
What about North Carolina (http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2008/05/judge-upholds-ballot-access-restrictions/)?

EDIT: Nevermind (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1557181&postcount=218).

Knightskye
07-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Okay, maybe I misled people a bit by saying it was only West Virginia that Barr needed to be on all 50 states. The e-mail from the Deputy Campaign Manager said they were well on their way to 48 states, so I imagine things are going smoothly.

I guess I speak out against him so much that people have this kind of knee-jerk reaction to my posts lol.

Yeah, whenever I scroll down a page in a thread and see your name, I'm like: "Ah, crap, what's he gonna say now?" :D

Menthol Patch
07-19-2008, 09:24 PM
It's a waste of money getting a neocon on the ballot.

Bob Barr is simply a neocon in disguise that is using the Libertarian Party to advance his career. You don't change from a cold heartless monster who loves throwing innocent people in prison, splitting up families, and ruining lives to a Libertarian over night.

Menthol Patch
07-19-2008, 09:25 PM

Any candidate who ever supported the War in Iraq does not deserve my vote.

Menthol Patch
07-19-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't think Barr is a neocon anymore. See, neocons are hellbent on keeping their power in the Republican Party. Neocons simply don't leave their party and go join the Libertarian Party, which is nothing more than signing the death certificate for your political career. For this reason alone I keep my mind open with Barr, but he's still not my kind of candidate.

Neocons would certainly leave the Republican Party when their political career is failing because a "third party" exposed them as a fascist drug warrior.

Menthol Patch
07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
By the way, Chuck Baldwin is not getting my vote either. He does not even mention ending the war on drugs on his website or abolishing victimless crimes.

IPSecure
07-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Dr. Paul ran as a Libertarian in 1988. Were you cheering on the establishment back then, too?

Sadly, yes. I did not see the truth until the 1st debate. I am and will always be a Ron Paul supporter.

slacker921
07-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Why waste money on ballet access in a few states as opposed to saving it for getting the word out?

It's hard for people to say the party shouldn't be given coverage if they're on the ballot in all 50 states. .. if they're only on the ballot in 36 states then it's too easy to say they aren't a viable party.

They'll also be able to raise more money since some people won't donate to a candidate who won't even be on the ballot.

If you're in West Virgina and have the time to help out then it's a worthy cause - whether you're for Barr or not. Getting the Libertarian party on the ballot in all 50 states is a good thing.

Gin
07-19-2008, 11:00 PM
I wonder.... What would happen if we all just wrote in Ron Paul....whether we "could" or not? What will "they" do to us? Not cast our vote?? Well at least we showed up to vote and there would be a record of us doing so....

Just a thought I had....

Personally, I am going to vote for Ron Paul.... even if I have to use a pen and write it on the paper I sign in on.... I WILL NOT vote for Anyone else......

I think that everyone should do the same... it would make a bigger statement than if we chose the lessor of 2 evils or settle for "almost" ....

Don't throw your vote for Ron Paul away.... use it... if they don't count it... so be it... you voted your conscience.

AJ Antimony
07-19-2008, 11:10 PM
I wonder.... What would happen if we all just wrote in Ron Paul....whether we "could" or not? What will "they" do to us? Not cast our vote?? Well at least we showed up to vote and there would be a record of us doing so....

Just a thought I had....

Personally, I am going to vote for Ron Paul.... even if I have to use a pen and write it on the paper I sign in on.... I WILL NOT vote for Anyone else......

I think that everyone should do the same... it would make a bigger statement than if we chose the lessor of 2 evils or settle for "almost" ....

Don't throw your vote for Ron Paul away.... use it... if they don't count it... so be it... you voted your conscience.

Another moron making everyone in this movement look like dumbshits.

What would happen if we all wrote in Paul? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
What will "they" do to us? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING they don't give a shit
Yes it would make a big statement... "This voter is a dumbass!"
Don't throw your vote for Ron Paul away? I didn't. He was on the ballot in the primaries and I voted for him. He's not on the ballot in the general election. So I can't vote for him. The man isn't even running anymore which means HE IS NOT TRYING TO WIN.

Despite this, I am still going to vote my conscience in November. I'm sorry my conscience doesn't tell me to scribble my vote into the dumpster.

tonesforjonesbones
07-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Gin...nanunanu. tones

LibertyIn08
07-19-2008, 11:21 PM

Just a thought I had....

I believe Congressman Paul has asked his supporters to not write him in.

Gin
07-20-2008, 05:31 AM
flames... wow!

I know what Dr. Paul said and I also know what Dr. Paul said at the end of the rally.
I was just throwing a thought out there....Sorry I posted guys..... sheesh......

familydog
07-20-2008, 06:23 AM
flames... wow!

I know what Dr. Paul said and I also know what Dr. Paul said at the end of the rally.
I was just throwing a thought out there....Sorry I posted guys..... sheesh......

Yeah. People here really need to go outside and get some air or something.

NewFederalist
07-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Just for the record as of Sun 20 Jul it appears the LP ticket has been confirmed on the ballot in 31 states (both according to the LP website and Ballot Access News 1 Jul issue). Given past history and ballot drives in progress it would appear the LP will be on the ballot in at least 48 states. There is a big mess in MA and NH regarding replacing a stalking horse with the actual nominee which could result in 2 LP nominees in NH (Barr and George Phillies) and possibly Phillies in his home state of MA. These issues have not yet been resolved. As previously mentioned there has been a lawsuit filed in OK so that state is in doubt. At one time the LNC was not even going to try in OK, WV and DC. That now appears to have changed. I am still not certain what plans the LNC or the Barr/Root campaign might have for DC. Worst case for Barr would seem to me to be 46 states where his name is on the ballot. That would assume losing the suit in OK, failing ballot drives in WV and DC and losing lawsuits/administrative decisions in MA and NH (assuming the 2nd ballot drive in NH succeeds). I'm not sure it can get more confusing!

rich34
07-20-2008, 10:13 AM
It was up until 2003 that of a neocon. Or do you not know what year it is?

Yeah ok, still the same to me. His votes in congress is what matters and is the tell all, and up until he got voted out of the hosue he was still voting like a neocon! Spin that one punk! And if you're trying to convert me over to Barr that type of tone is not going to help and will only push me farther away. This man is in no way an easy sell like Ron Paul is. There's nothing to get excited about Bob Barr because when you look at his record well.......

Knightskye
07-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah ok, still the same to me. His votes in congress is what matters and is the tell all, and up until he got voted out of the hosue he was still voting like a neocon! Spin that one punk! And if you're trying to convert me over to Barr that type of tone is not going to help and will only push me farther away. This man is in no way an easy sell like Ron Paul is. There's nothing to get excited about Bob Barr because when you look at his record well.......

All those people who changed their philosophy and started supporting Ron Paul -- they aren't believable? And if they run for Congress as a "Ron Paul Republican", we shouldn't vote for them?

EDIT: Why was this moved? Ballot access should be important to the grassroots - moreso than... uhh... "quotes" (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=147170). :rolleyes:

1000-points-of-fright
07-20-2008, 11:16 AM
This man is in no way an easy sell like Ron Paul is. There's nothing to get excited about Bob Barr because when you look at his record well.......

Agreed. But Bob Barr is not what everyone is excited about. We are excited about the fact that the Libertarian Party finally has a candidate that will get MSM exposure and possibly get into the debates. Maybe even have an impact on the election.

Are we choosing practicality over principle? Yes. But Barr won't win, he won't permanently dilute libertarian philosophy, and he'll be gone in 2012.

We're just taking advantage of what the RP movement has started and using Barr to propel libertarian philosophy (and the Libertarian party itself) further into the mainstream electorate's consciousness.

If Barr's presence starts the demise of the 2 party system, then he will have made up for all of the questionable things he's done in the past.

Knightskye
07-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Agreed. But Bob Barr is not what everyone is excited about. We are excited about the fact that the Libertarian Party finally has a candidate that will get MSM exposure and possibly get into the debates. Maybe even have an impact on the election.

Are we choosing practicality over principle? Yes. But Barr won't win, he won't permanently dilute libertarian philosophy, and he'll be gone in 2012.

I'll note that this is your opinion. :cool:

We're just taking advantage of what the RP movement has started and using Barr to propel libertarian philosophy (and the Libertarian party itself) further into the mainstream electorate's consciousness.

You say "just" like it's a small feat. :p

tonesforjonesbones
07-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Yes..Barr even said that himself. He said someone will come after him to push the LP and a good third party along. The major parties..or their backers (elite bankers) have effectively shut out any real chance for a third party win,..but it doesn't have to stay that way. We must continue to fight the good fight...for LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! TONES

Knightskye
07-22-2008, 01:45 AM
LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! TONES

:D

Knightskye
07-28-2008, 12:01 AM
It's about three and a half days until the West Virginia deadline. I hope they make it on time.