PDA

View Full Version : NASA is BS

yongrel
07-18-2008, 08:04 PM
As some of you may or may not already know, the new season of Penn & Teller: Bullshit has started. I thought some of y'all might like their episode on NASA, which addresses NASA's inefficiency and expense.

Part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HUbogc801OA
Part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=G1npYrWH_y8&feature=related
Part 3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0vujklvUkUs&feature=related

Good stuff.

agitator
07-18-2008, 08:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncjq5MGhi9c

The One
07-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Yongrel. you have a man-crush on Penn don't you???

ItsTime
07-18-2008, 08:40 PM
no way a nasa thread and a scientology ad! Open the market to space and we can do a hella lot better that is for sure.

yongrel
07-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Yongrel. you have a man-crush on Penn don't you???

Yessir.

MRoCkEd
07-18-2008, 08:42 PM
good show
it is unfortunate that penn came short of endorsing paul because of the newsletter scandal

pacelli
07-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Give RPF all of their technology, funding, equipment, and training and I can guarantee you that we'd get a man and a woman on Mars within the next 10 years and CONCEIVE on the red planet as well. Of course, the only stipulation is that we'd need to have a big "Campaign for Liberty" bumper sticker on the landing vehicle.

agitator
07-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Give RPF all of their technology, funding, equipment, and training and I can guarantee you that we'd get a man and a woman on Mars within the next 10 years and CONCEIVE on the red planet as well. Of course, the only stipulation is that we'd need to have a big "Campaign for Liberty" bumper sticker on the landing vehicle.

No way, too much Global Warming going on right now on Mars.

muzzled dogg
07-18-2008, 09:09 PM
yeah well nasa is bullshit

electronicmaji
07-18-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't care what anyone says; I always wanted to be a astronaut.

muzzled dogg
07-18-2008, 09:32 PM
well i've always wanted to pay for you to be one

The One
07-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't care what anyone says; I always wanted to be a astronaut.

I think they have pretty strict aptitude tests. You might want to work on your grammar if you want to become an astronaut.

WRellim
07-19-2008, 05:20 AM
As some of you may or may not already know, the new season of Penn & Teller: Bullshit has started. I thought some of y'all might like their episode on NASA, which addresses NASA's inefficiency and expense.

Good stuff.

Found that to be strangely the LEAST satisfying episode of P&T:BS.

I was at LEAST expecting them to go into a bit about the cost overruns and essential failure of the STS; and was hoping they would spend at least 5 minutes dissecting the idiocy of the Constellation/Orion (aka regurgitated Apollo P.O.S.)

But alas I am bereft. It was much more of a "puff piece" and "mutual admiration" backrub than I thought they would ever do. Oh well, it isn't the first time something on "Bullshit" has been full of "Bullshit" itself.
:(

Kludge
07-19-2008, 05:27 AM
P&T can't even compare to the greatness that is John Stossel. But thanks for the links anyways, NASA's a joke ;)

Danke
07-19-2008, 09:46 AM
well i've always wanted to pay for you to be one

Should we start a chip-in to send EMI into orbit?

mport1
07-19-2008, 09:54 AM
NASA should be scrapped immediately.

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Without Goddard and Nasa, we wouldn't have the peace of mutual assurance of destruction. IE, our ICBMS.
NASA is required for national defense.

Fox McCloud
07-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Without Goddard and Nasa, we wouldn't have the peace of mutual assurance of destruction. IE, our ICBMS.
NASA is required for national defense.

this may be, but not to the extent that it has been and is today...there's a lot of bloated spending in NASA's budget...as is with any governmental budget.

I still say we should say "Screw international law" and put ICBM and other missile platforms in outer space...especially if we lean towards a more humble and neutral foreign policy...then, if a country ever does attack us for no reason (which, if we adhered to this new foreign policy, is unlikely) we can blow them to kingdom come without using many troops...'course we can do that with our subs and ground based missiles now....but what says "lol, no...big mistake" like an ICBM hurtling at a country at 1000 miles an hour?

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 10:34 AM
this may be, but not to the extent that it has been and is today...there's a lot of bloated spending in NASA's budget...as is with any governmental budget.

I still say we should say "Screw international law" and put ICBM and other missile platforms in outer space...especially if we lean towards a more humble and neutral foreign policy...then, if a country ever does attack us for no reason (which, if we adhered to this new foreign policy, is unlikely) we can blow them to kingdom come without using many troops...'course we can do that with our subs and ground based missiles now....but what says "lol, no...big mistake" like an ICBM hurtling at a country at 1000 miles an hour?

With NASA, its about the fine line between real research and development for space and rocket defense, and just another pork project for Lockheed for no purpose what-so-ever.
But to call for the destruction of NASA is ridiculous at best. It is an extension of our air force.
With the right leaders, NASA's purpose can be defined specifically for certain task, and pork spending to the favored contractors would end.

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 10:35 AM
We should be "prepared" to weaponize space, but i don't think we should be the first to initiate it.
Not under the current regimes that run this country. Imagine Bush or Obama with that much power?

JosephTheLibertarian
07-19-2008, 10:58 AM

Good stuff.

ha cool. I think what we should do is sustain a dual system. We should keep NASA, but we should not restrict the free market from competing.

NASA hitch hiking to space? haha

NASA does do SOME good. The problem is, imo, we have a government that is restricting people from starting their own, prvate space programs. It's stupid.

To fund NASA, we should have a system of voluntary contributions in order to fund government. example: your town asks for donations on the local tv access. your state advertises for funds. NASA advertises for funds, etc. people are free to send donations. Americans would keep 100% of their money, so there would be alot of money available for donations. It's a way for people to "vote" with their money.

AmericaFyeah92
07-19-2008, 11:33 AM
i think Penn still endorsed Paul despite the newslettters, BTW.

Torchbearer, Bush (and soon Obama) already have the power to end all human society with nuclear weapons, so why not give them the power to do it from space? (i'm not being facetious, i'm just saying why wait to go up there and make NASA useful?)

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 11:35 AM
i think Penn still endorsed Paul despite the newslettters, BTW.

Torchbearer, Bush (and soon Obama) already have the power to end all human society with nuclear weapons, so why not give them the power to do it from space? (i'm not being facetious, i'm just saying why wait to go up there and make NASA useful?)

What my real fear is.. we start a star wars in the process.
USA and Russia.
Two guys in the room with guns in the holsters. They don't trust each other, and were former enemies.
One guy pulls his gun from his holster, what will the other guy do?

AmericaFyeah92
07-19-2008, 11:37 AM
What my real fear is.. we start a star wars in the process.
USA and Russia.
Two guys in the room with guns in the holsters. They don't trust each other, and were former enemies.
One guy pulls his gun from his holster, what will the other guy do?

that's why we need to beat them to it and monopolize space weaponry before someone else (Russia/China) does, in my opinion

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 11:39 AM
that's why we need to beat them to it and monopolize space weaponry before someone else (Russia/China) does, in my opinion

You may be right, but this is something very serious, and should take some serious thought before the trigger is pulled.
We may have to disguise our star platforms as science/commercial, but this is all very risky.
If russia finds itself helpless against the US it may choose death over enslavement.
The rest of the world could end up uniting against us... who knows with propaganda and what our past history recently will lead to...

JosephTheLibertarian
07-19-2008, 11:41 AM

lol. beat them? in what way? with space technology? We can, but isn't NASA being gutted every year? That's what my sources have told me.

We could easily slash the budget and give NASA all the money it wants. Just end this silly war.

Fox McCloud
07-19-2008, 12:55 PM
We should be "prepared" to weaponize space, but i don't think we should be the first to initiate it.
Not under the current regimes that run this country. Imagine Bush or Obama with that much power?

note that I said with a more humble foreign policy and neutrality towards most/all nations ;)

The very reason you have brought forth is why I don't think space should be weaponized at this point in time.

AmericaFyeah92
07-19-2008, 12:57 PM
lol. beat them? in what way? with space technology? We can, but isn't NASA being gutted every year? That's what my sources have told me.

We could easily slash the budget and give NASA all the money it wants. Just end this silly war.

that's what i'm saying. private companies should handle actual space exploration in my opinion, and NASA should become an"official" military branch. That would make it constitutional, as well.

And i agree, torchbearer, that it should be weighed carefully. But time is of the essence.

(BTW:did u get the "death over enslavement" from Watchmen? The book makes a similar point, and it's pretty interesting. But i doubt someone like Putin would willingly sacrifice himself)

JosephTheLibertarian
07-19-2008, 01:09 PM
that's what i'm saying. private companies should handle actual space exploration in my opinion, and NASA should become an"official" military branch. That would make it constitutional, as well.

And i agree, torchbearer, that it should be weighed carefully. But time is of the essence.

(BTW:did u get the "death over enslavement" from Watchmen? The book makes a similar point, and it's pretty interesting. But i doubt someone like Putin would willingly sacrifice himself)

that's the name of the book? I looked it up but I don't see it lol..

NASA acting as the space military branch? hmm. why would we need a military in space? we don't even know if there's life out there. or do you mean so that we can defend our stuff from other countries? like china

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 01:20 PM

NASA acting as the space military branch? hmm. why would we need a military in space? we don't even know if there's life out there. or do you mean so that we can defend our stuff from other countries? like china

if we are mining helium-3 from the moon, what would stop any nation from taking over that facility? especially if we were at war, here on earth. we'd need space weapons,ships. yes.

AmericaFyeah92
07-19-2008, 02:33 PM

i was talking to Torchbearer, lol. The thing he said about the Russians choosing "death over enslavement" sounded like something that was said in "Watchmen."

I mean for defense against other nations, yes. But it wouldn't hurt to have against aliens either :D

torchbearer
07-19-2008, 02:49 PM
i was talking to Torchbearer, lol. The thing he said about the Russians choosing "death over enslavement" sounded like something that was said in "Watchmen."

I mean for defense against other nations, yes. But it wouldn't hurt to have against aliens either :D

I said it that way, because that is how they will perceive it.
Think about it. If China announced today they had secretly created a global array of military platforms in orbit around earth. What would we do?