PDA

View Full Version : Help for Delegates -- What Should We Do?

spacehabitats
07-18-2008, 11:40 AM
As the husband of an alternate delegate to the Republican National Convention, I have been doing a lot of thinking (and discussing with my wife) how best to utilize her unique position as an “insider”.

Although she was not elected as a “Ron Paul” delegate, she is very aware of the great responsibility and opportunity she has in representing the freedom movement, constitutional conservatism, and “Ron Paul” Republicans at the RNC.

Neither one of us have been to anything like the RNC before. We are not sure what kind of opportunities she will have to spread the message of freedom to the other delegates. I guess there will be social events, bus rides from the hotel, and other events where conversations could occur.

I suspect that “one on one” or small group discussions could be very fruitful, if she goes properly prepared.
What do you suggest? (Some things we’ve thought of):

1)Several copies of “The Revolution: A Manifesto” to hand out.
2)A shorter pamphlet with a pithy introduction to constitutional conservative concepts/issues.
3)Good short answers to FAQ’s/responses to NeoCon disinformation on several hot topics (i.e. Iraq war, income tax, Federal Reserve, hard currency, etc.).
4)A really short list of other books, videos, or information resources to refer people to.
5)Short, powerful arguments, specifically tailored to the long time GOP loyalist/activist designed to convince them that our party needs a major course change (and that someone like Mike Huckabee isn’t going to do it).

I know that there were a variety of tools available that were created for the Ron Paul for President campaign; but we also need some "Ron Paul free" tools for those delegates that are prejudiced against the man but not the message.

Any role-playing scripts (point-counterpoint) that we could use to prepare her for a dinner party?

Any concrete suggestions on how best to prepare her would be appreciated.

hillertexas
07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Be prepared with "catch phrases" that can be repeated and remembered by the people you talk to. Replace wording like "non-interventionist" with wording like "armed neutrality" to pander towards the stereotypical GOP mindset. Also be sure to brush up on the Constitution and have a copy on you to help with any healthy debate that you may encounter....maybe have some extra pocket Constitutions that you could give out where appropriate. I dropped a whole bunch of pocket Constitutions with RP slim jims in them off at the RP table at our State Convention and it went over pretty well.

My $.02

phoenixrising
07-18-2008, 12:06 PM
As the husband of an alternate delegate to the Republican National Convention, I have been doing a lot of thinking (and discussing with my wife) how best to utilize her unique position as an “insider”.

Although she was not elected as a “Ron Paul” delegate, she is very aware of the great responsibility and opportunity she has in representing the freedom movement, constitutional conservatism, and “Ron Paul” Republicans at the RNC.

Neither one of us have been to anything like the RNC before. We are not sure what kind of opportunities she will have to spread the message of freedom to the other delegates. I guess there will be social events, bus rides from the hotel, and other events where conversations could occur.

I suspect that “one on one” or small group discussions could be very fruitful, if she goes properly prepared.
What do you suggest? (Some things we’ve thought of):

1)Several copies of “The Revolution: A Manifesto” to hand out.
2)A shorter pamphlet with a pithy introduction to constitutional conservative concepts/issues.
3)Good short answers to FAQ’s/responses to NeoCon disinformation on several hot topics (i.e. Iraq war, income tax, Federal Reserve, hard currency, etc.).
4)A really short list of other books, videos, or information resources to refer people to.
5)Short, powerful arguments, specifically tailored to the long time GOP loyalist/activist designed to convince them that our party needs a major course change (and that someone like Mike Huckabee isn’t going to do it).

I know that there were a variety of tools available that were created for the Ron Paul for President campaign; but we also need some "Ron Paul free" tools for those delegates that are prejudiced against the man but not the message.

Any role-playing scripts (point-counterpoint) that we could use to prepare her for a dinner party?

Any concrete suggestions on how best to prepare her would be appreciated.

each of the delegates & alternates will have received 2 DVD's prior to the convention THAT is a GREAT opportunity for discussion!!!

just released: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rggu6Xb5Uqk

spacehabitats
07-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Be prepared with "catch phrases" that can be repeated and remembered by the people you talk to. Replace wording like "non-interventionist" with wording like "armed neutrality" to pander towards the stereotypical GOP mindset. Also be sure to brush up on the Constitution and have a copy on you to help with any healthy debate that you may encounter....maybe have some extra pocket Constitutions that you could give out where appropriate. I dropped a whole bunch of pocket Constitutions with RP slim jims in them off at the RP table at our State Convention and it went over pretty well.

My $.02

"Armed neutrality", I like it.:)

Pocket Constitutions, check.

spacehabitats
07-18-2008, 04:28 PM
each of the delegates & alternates will have received 2 DVD's prior to the convention THAT is a GREAT opportunity for discussion!!!

just released: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rggu6Xb5Uqk

That is good news!

If they are as professionally made and effective as I think they will be, they could be just what we need at the convention.

I'm sure all of the delegates are sharpening their skills in anticipation.

hillertexas
07-19-2008, 12:09 AM
bump for the night crew

AJ Antimony
07-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Know Reagan quotes.
Know Goldwater quotes.

Always appear very eager to meet others and enjoy their company. The friendlier you are, the more likely they will listen.

Know what's happened to the Republican Party since 2000. It's membership has decreased greatly. It has zero enthusiasm. It seems like every party member is bringing a clothespin to the polls this November. It certainly has no young voters.

That's all I can think of for now.

spacehabitats
07-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Know Reagan quotes.
Know Goldwater quotes.

Always appear very eager to meet others and enjoy their company. The friendlier you are, the more likely they will listen.

Know what's happened to the Republican Party since 2000. It's membership has decreased greatly. It has zero enthusiasm. It seems like every party member is bringing a clothespin to the polls this November. It certainly has no young voters.

That's all I can think of for now.

That's one of the reasons why we decided to have my wife do the delegate thing instead of me. She really does enjoy people's company and is naturally friendly and outgoing.

I, on the other hand, would rather sit in front of a computer.;)