PDA

View Full Version : No chance of a dr. Paul write-in in nm

LawDawg
07-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I am curious as to what other states suffer the same affliction. In NM we virtually have no possibility of writing-in a candidate....What is is like in other states?

SnappleLlama
07-18-2008, 09:14 AM
In PA, we have to collect the names of (I think) 21 RP electors and write them in. If anyone has any idea how to obtain these names, I'd very much appreciate it!

RCA
07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Writing in is a waste of time.

SnappleLlama
07-18-2008, 09:24 AM

Not if the vote can be officially counted. ;)

LawDawg
07-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Good to see apathy alive and well.....Much better to support the establishment and vote for their candidate right?

tonesforjonesbones
07-18-2008, 09:33 AM
If Ron Paul wanted to be president HE would have done a write in campaign. Can't ya'll let go? Why do you want to take Dr. Paul's freedom/liberty to choose what he wants for his life? I consider it selfish to keep pushing this issue. The Granny Warriors want to sue him for suspending his campaign and others want to try to force him to do something he clearly does not want to do by writing in. Tones

LibertyEagle
07-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I am curious as to what other states suffer the same affliction. In NM we virtually have no possibility of writing-in a candidate....What is is like in other states?

Are you talking about the Presidential election? Barr and Baldwin are the two choices that are the closest to Ron Paul's principles.

Beyond that though, we have to take our country back from the ground floor on up. That means taking back our local and state governments. Lots to do. The Campaign for Liberty will be trying to help us to do that, but we have to understand that it is going to require US getting involved and doing the groundwork. The CFL will officially launch in September.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

LawDawg
07-18-2008, 09:39 AM
If Ron Paul wanted to be president HE would have done a write in campaign. Can't ya'll let go? Why do you want to take Dr. Paul's freedom/liberty to choose what he wants for his life? I consider it selfish to keep pushing this issue. The Granny Warriors want to sue him for suspending his campaign and others want to try to force him to do something he clearly does not want to do by writing in. Tones

Why shouldn't we be allowed our freedom to vote for whomever we choose. The real issue is the actions of the states limiting ballot access and voter choice. Get a clue. We have a fundamental right to expression through our vote.

tonesforjonesbones
07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
I am VERY interested in the homeschool program..lol my kids are grown, but I do have grandchildren. Tones

RonPaulFanInGA
07-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Write Paul in anyway, "official" write-in candidate or not.

LawDawg
07-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Are you talking about the Presidential election? Barr and Baldwin are the two choices that are the closest to Ron Paul's principles.

Beyond that though, we have to take our country back from the ground floor on up. That means taking back our local and state governments. Lots to do. The Campaign for Liberty will be trying to help us to do that, but we have to understand that it is going to require US getting involved and doing the groundwork. The CFL will officially launch in September.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

I am actually referring to the fact that even if we wanted to write-in Dr. Paul in NM, it is legally impossible. Same for Hawaii. I was curious to know how many other states also suffer from unconstitutional ballot access laws. This doesn't just pertain to Presidential races but all elections.

johnrocks
07-18-2008, 09:46 AM
My brother lives in Farmington N.M.,what are the rules there?

tonesforjonesbones
07-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Look...how can they stop you from writing Ron paul's name on the bottom of your ballot? CAn't you request a paper ballot and heck..just write his name all over it..it won't count..but if you are making a statement, just write it on there about 50 times lol...tones

LawDawg
07-18-2008, 09:53 AM
My brother lives in Farmington N.M.,what are the rules there?

At the state level for either a state level election or the election of a federal candidate, a write-in candidate is only a viable candidate if they filed for their write-in candidacy the day after the primary election between the hours of 9 am and 5pm. If you were a candidate that lost in the primary you are not eligible for write-in candidacy (period). So the long short (very unfortunately) in NM is that a write-in vote for Ron Paul, would not be considered a valid vote.

LawDawg
07-18-2008, 09:57 AM
So the question remains, what other states suffer from similar unconstitutional ballot access laws.

Sidenote: Tones, your cynicism is touching, but the principal of the matter is that yet again our constitutional rights are being trampled and not everybody takes that quite as easily as you appear to.

tonesforjonesbones
07-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Well..yes I know. They even have "sore loser" laws in some states...in Texas, Ron Paul's own state..you can not run for president in one party..and then if you jump to another party, say decide to run Independent , and get on the ballots. It's called "sore loser" laws. All I am saying is..I don't believe that Ron Paul ever wanted to be president. President isn't such a great thing. He will be much more effective in congress, and our energy really should be in getting people elected who can work with Dr. Paul to make real changes. My concern is that those who "write in" Ron Paul may be satisfying themselves...but it's not really doing anything productive because the 2 major parties have things blocked. Hey...here's an idea! LOL...If writing in Ron Paul dosen't count...you could probably vote for who you think is best that is on the ballot..and then write something like "My first choice is RON PAUL, but since he's not on the ballot...I selected my second choice" ..etc... that might be fun. TONES

tonesforjonesbones
07-18-2008, 10:09 AM
I might do that myself! tones

Barney
07-18-2008, 10:15 AM

He didn't suspend the campaign because he suddenly no longer wanted to be President. He ended it because all the primaries were done, and it was mathematically over. If by some miracle he was voted in by write-ins, I seriously doubt it would be against his wishes.

LawDawg
07-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah I suppose that is one idea. But choosing the lesser of two evils is what got this country into the mess it faces today. I still believe in an American where second best just is not good enough. I hate settling for second best or the lesser of two evils. The whole idea here is revolution, and it should start by taking back our Constitutional rights wherever we can. Taking a pass and voting for the second choice left us with us with neo-con G. W. I believe that the time is coming for us to stand and defend our liberty. Voting for my second choice is hardly taking a stand.

tonesforjonesbones
07-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Well..the fact is ..now, Ron Paul is not a choice. He's not running. I guess you could just not vote..that's an option for sure..and people have the freedom to do what they want. I do NOT believe Ron Paul wants to be President of the USA. If you recall, he had to be talked into running in the first place. It was always about getting a message out..not becoming the President. He succeeded. We have a movement..and people are waking up. This is MUCH more important than being a President for 4 years. This movement is long term if we all hang in there and continue to recruit. This is also my point about Barr or Baldwin. They are furthering the message...it's a continuation of Liberty. Neither will win...but why not support one of them...and especially Barr so he can get into the debates. He is the one that has the BEST chance to get in the debates. If we don't support Barr...there will be NO Liberty candidate in the debates..and the message will die...at least in that venue. I'd rather support Barr and keep the LIBERTY message out there as long as we can on a National level. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do , but I am going to continue to encourage people to support Barr so the message doesn't die so soon. Tones

acptulsa
07-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Add Oklahoma to your list. And if you have columns, put it under "your write in vote won't be counted no matter what you do short of getting him or her on the ballot". And tones, defaced ballots are discarded uncounted in several jurisdictions.

LawDawg
07-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Well..the fact is ..now, Ron Paul is not a choice. He's not running. I guess you could just not vote..that's an option for sure..and people have the freedom to do what they want. I do NOT believe Ron Paul wants to be President of the USA. If you recall, he had to be talked into running in the first place. It was always about getting a message out..not becoming the President. He succeeded. We have a movement..and people are waking up. This is MUCH more important than being a President for 4 years. This movement is long term if we all hang in there and continue to recruit. This is also my point about Barr or Baldwin. They are furthering the message...it's a continuation of Liberty. Neither will win...but why not support one of them...and especially Barr so he can get into the debates. He is the one that has the BEST chance to get in the debates. If we don't support Barr...there will be NO Liberty candidate in the debates..and the message will die...at least in that venue. I'd rather support Barr and keep the LIBERTY message out there as long as we can on a National level. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do , but I am going to continue to encourage people to support Barr so the message doesn't die so soon. Tones

Sorry Tones, I am not drinking that Kool-aid. I won't be be voting for Barr or settling for second best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aixGdgdnfOk&watch_response
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpAGqMcktvI

acptulsa
07-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Sorry Tones, I am not drinking that Kool-aid. I won't be be voting for Barr or settling for second best.

Well, second-best beats the $#!+ out of the lesser of two pre-approved evils. And I, for one, would like to see a non two-party candidate beat Perot's numbers. Can't help but think that would give the general populace hope and the usual thieves pause. Just doesn't seem like the proverbial Flavor Aid to me...

Barney
07-18-2008, 12:18 PM
I do NOT believe Ron Paul wants to be President of the USA. If you recall, he had to be talked into running in the first place. It was always about getting a message out..not becoming the President.

He was reluctant because he was skeptical about the amount of support he would get not because he didn't want the office. This is his second run for the WH.

He has said many times that the goal of the campaign was to win and was ridiculed repeatedly for it. Did you see his reaction to being put down by George Stephanapolous? That was not a man who's intention was to lose.

I think you have it backwards. It was the end of the presidential campaign that spawned the CFL, CFL wasn't never the end goal. If he had a mathematical possibility, however minute, he would have continued. Which explains all the dirty tactics the GOP machinery employed to shut him out of taking even one state to the convention. Nevada could have been the Yorktown of this Revolution.

orafi
07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
geesh people just vote for ron paul when he's the gop nominee.

geniuses, i swear :rolleyes:

yongrel
07-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Do what I'm doing: bring a sharpie marker to the polling booth and write him in.

RPTXState
07-18-2008, 01:51 PM
They won't count Write-In's in Texas

Literally, they won't even tally them up and publish them...they'll just toss it in the trash :mad:

AJ Antimony
07-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Why shouldn't we be allowed our freedom to vote for whomever we choose. The real issue is the actions of the states limiting ballot access and voter choice. Get a clue. We have a fundamental right to expression through our vote.

You're free to vote for whoever you want. It's not your fault if 1. They're not on the ballot and 2. They don't want to run.

Ron Paul does not want to run anymore. You can't force somebody into office. Get a clue.

AJ Antimony
07-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Do what I'm doing: bring a sharpie marker to the polling booth and write him in.

You're an idiot.

yongrel
07-18-2008, 03:14 PM
You're an idiot.

Yes, but I'm a determined one.

tonesforjonesbones
07-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Determined to do what? Like I said..if you are doing it to stroke your ego..fine. If you think anybody at that polling place is going to give a doodly squat..when they throw that ballot in the garbage can...think again. I am going to come up with a one word response to ANYONE and EVERYONE who says they are going to write in Ron Paul and tries to justify ...or encourage anyone else to do so. I think it's going to be NanuNanu. tones

AJ Antimony
07-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Yes, but I'm a determined one.

Determined to make our entire movement look like a bunch of morons.

yongrel
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Determined to make our entire movement look like a bunch of morons.
That too.

kigol
07-18-2008, 05:40 PM
:cool:

RCA
07-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Good to see apathy alive and well.....Much better to support the establishment and vote for their candidate right?

Who said I'm going to support the establishment?

I'll be voting for Baldwin if he's on my ballot. If not, I'll vote Barr.

satchelmcqueen
07-18-2008, 10:38 PM
i really dont know about georgia, but i am going under the assumtion that it is a wasted vote, BUT im doing it anyway. I cannot live the rest of my life knowing i didnt vote for Ron Paul. this is a one time shot unless we get very lucky and im not about to waste THAT.

malkusm
07-19-2008, 09:18 AM
The way I see it is:

You can hold a protest in the middle of the forest, or you can do it in the middle of a busy city. Either way, you're doing the right thing. Why wouldn't you want to make it as effective as possible?

You can write in RP and organize people to do the same, and your intentions will be great. Or you can vote for a candidate who is on the ballot that Ron has semi-endorsed (Barr or Baldwin), and your intentions will be great, AND will mean something (in the vote tally and possibly in the press).

tonesforjonesbones
07-19-2008, 11:21 AM
nanunanu.......................

G-Wohl
07-19-2008, 12:55 PM

Huge logic flaw in this argument... who says we have to vote for the establishment candidates if we don't choose to write Ron Paul in? I'm going to cast my ballot for somebody who at least has a CHANCE (albeit a very small one) at becoming president. People who are writing him in are doing so only for the internal satisfaction it would provide; you may as well stay home and not vote at all, because that's exactly how effective it would be to write in Ron Paul's name.