PDA

View Full Version : GOP cancels state convention; panel to pick Nevada national delegates

RonPaulFanInGA
07-18-2008, 04:32 AM
http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080718/NEWS19/807180503/1321/NEWS

The Nevada Republican Party decided Thursday not to reconvene its scuttled state convention this month, claiming it couldn't generate enough interest to reach a legal quorum to elect delegates to the national convention in St. Paul, Minn.

Instead, the party's executive board, in a private conference call July 25, would decide who from Nevada will attend the Republican National Convention to formally nominate U.S. Sen. John McCain.

The state party abruptly ended its state convention in April to head off a delegation of Ron Paul supporters who had captured control of the proceedings and appeared on track to elect a majority slate to the Sept. 1-4 national convention.

Party officials planned to reconvene on July 26. But only about 300 delegates sent in RSVPs, well short of the 675 needed for a quorum.

"With so many people concerned about the economy, it simply wouldn't be fair for us to ask delegates from all over the state to spend money to attend a convention if we know that a quorum won't be present," Chairwoman Sue Lowden said in a news release.

The disaffected Republicans elected national delegates at their own insurgent state convention in June. They also did not have enough a quorum but argued a technical rules violation at the original convention allowed them to proceed with only 328 delegates.

Although Paul, a Texas congressman with a strong libertarian bent, has dropped out of the presidential race, his supporters continue to stay active in Nevada. They hope to push the Republican Party in their philosophical direction.

"This is pretty much what we figured they would do all along," said Dr. Wayne Terhune, a Sparks dentist who funded the insurgent convention. "I don't see how this would really help the party."

Longtime Nevada Republicans said they've never experienced an aborted state convention.

"I don't ever remember such chaos in the party," said Barbara Vucanovich, a former congresswoman who has been involved in party politics since the early 1950s. "Frankly, its an embarrassment for our state and also makes it difficult for John McCain. He needs all the electoral votes he can get."

The dispute is almost certain to end up in court.

"Now, it becomes a legal issue with the RNC," said Washoe County Republican chairwoman Heidi Smith. "You will have two groups going. The group that the state party puts together, I think will prevail."

Zachary Moyle, the state party's executive director, said it's not clear how the executive board will decide who to send to the national convention.

Under party rules, the slate must be set at least 30 days before the national convention. That means the party won't have time to do a mail-in ballot.

"I'm confident whatever decision the executive board reaches will stand on the record," he said.

Mike Weber, a Republican activist who chaired the insurgent convention, said he's prepared to take his challenge of whatever slate the board puts forward to the Republican National Committee.

"Denying the right of ordinary Republicans to participate in the selection of our national Republican presidential nominee is an intolerable violation of Republican rules and principles," he said.

american.swan
07-18-2008, 04:39 AM
Is anyone really surprised by this? Wasn't this expected?

RonPaulFanInGA
07-18-2008, 05:00 AM
Is anyone really surprised by this? Wasn't this expected?

No and yes.

It shouldn't have ever came to this. The corrupt republican party couldn't stand the fact that the LOST at the original convention.

We all know which delegation the establishment hacks on the RNC executive board will pick.

speciallyblend
07-18-2008, 05:27 AM
the battle begins ,give'em hell republicans of nevada

Kludge
07-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Hope this is being covered by Nevada media outlets.

pacelli
07-18-2008, 06:24 AM
If McCain and his supporters stand for this, then they are all just as corrupt as the party. How bout them apples? Republicans everywhere should be ashamed of the Nevada GOP and should be protesting. But we all know the sheep won't care (or know about it), because their man McCain is going to reap the benefits of their corruption. It shouldn't matter who wins when it comes to these issues.

I'm sure they'll wait a good 4-5 years before someone makes a mainstream documentary about it. People will get outraged but it'll be in the distant past (just like Hacking Democracy).

angelatc
07-18-2008, 06:40 AM
This literally makes me nauseous.

slacker921
07-18-2008, 06:40 AM
I just can't wait to hear how CNN spins this so that it sounds like the GOP was defending itself from a bunch of kooks. sheesh. You know it's coming.

pacelli
07-18-2008, 07:03 AM
I just can't wait to hear how CNN spins this so that it sounds like the GOP was defending itself from a bunch of kooks. sheesh. You know it's coming.

They just won't cover it.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-18-2008, 07:21 AM

That's assuming they even cover it in the first place.

pauletteNV
07-18-2008, 08:07 AM
There was an article from a local blogger Chuck Muth, who has now gone way beyond the pale. Is he important to us in reality, no, but the man is very irritating, inaccurate and illogical. If you want to laugh at his antics check out http://conservablogs.com/muthstruths/2008/07/17/the-little-convention-that-couldnt/ I now call any illogical person a "Muthtard."

Rangeley
07-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Its a pity some people didn't go to the June convention, thinking they would go to this one.

fr33domfightr
07-18-2008, 10:05 AM
THE RESIDENTS OF NEVADA NEED TO KNOW THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS NEEDS TO BE FRONT PAGE NEWS IN EVERY NEWSPAPER IN NEVADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS SHOULD ALSO BE MENTIONED ON EVERY TV NEWS BROADCAST IN THE STATE!!!!!!!!!

The PEOPLE of Nevada need to know how their votes have been applied to the nomination of those running for president. This is so important I can't stress it enough. The people of Nevada need to know this!!!!

THIS IS HOW THE REPUBLICAN PARTY WILL BE DESTROYED IN NEVADA.

FF

UtahApocalypse
07-18-2008, 10:17 AM
this is news?? has been the EXACT thing that everyone predicted for months. they never planned to reconvene, it was a blind threat to try and stop the rump convention.

Now its going to be a battle in front of the credentials committee. Not that it will go good.

brooklyn
07-18-2008, 10:34 AM
This is exactly what we believed these s---bags would do to the people of Nevada.
No, the media is not covering this. Any surprise? Liar Lowden has said they would not ask the delegates to reconvene now "due to the state of the economy" and "would not be fair to ask the delegates to incur the expense of reconvening".
What a crock of s---t! We knew they would do this. We had no problem reconvening in June and had the GOP told everyone to attend, the issues would all be settled. Not however the way the corrupt GOP would like it settled.
It now becomes a legal battle. Should the party be allowed to dictate the voice of the state of Nevada? This stinks of voter manipulation and fraud.
The battle continues. We won't back down.:mad:

HOLLYWOOD
07-18-2008, 10:56 AM

It all Depends on how much MONEY/FAVORS both the NVGOP and the GOP want to SPEND on CNN/MSM.

MSM corporate sells out, all the time. This should be a Class Action lawsuit against the NVGOP, any other entities involved with related elections tampering.

It's all over the RP Meetup.com groups, here's one NV RP supporters message to the media:

Dear Editor,

After reading the last press release by the Nevada Republican Party leadership (Nevada GOP says it won't reconvene its convention) I find it sad that the present leadership of a once respected political party would put that same party in the swirling waters knowing full well that Americans that have had enough burdensome taxation and constitutional ignorance from their “leaders” are the very same people who pulled the little handle. An attempt to present a negative image of “knowledgeable Americans” by calling them “Ron Paul Followers” is at best distasteful. This immature tactic needs to be limited to kindergarten playgrounds where it is acceptable, not in your newspaper.

The Nevada GOP convention on April 26, 2008 at the Peppermill Resort was a prime example of playing “follow the leader” while the real Nevada GOP convention convened on June 28 at the Grand Sierra Resort theme was “follow the law.” I can attest to this since I video taped both events and along with top legal experts in this town and nationwide have studied the words, actions, and lawful compliance of all presenters on these complete audio/video “minutes.”

The arrogance and continued charade by the present GOP “leadership,” now disappointingly joined by Bob Beers, is appalling. I would hope they would voluntarily step down for trying to force their desires on the people rather than honoring those popular desires of the people. “Honorable” is a virtuous title bestowed by the people, not a title assigned by political position or persuasion.

Sincerely,

delegate

here's an article out of Vegas:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/early-line/2008/jul/17/nevada-gop-wont-reconvene-convention/ (http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/early-line/2008/jul/17/nevada-gop-wont-reconvene-convention/)

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
07-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Quiet, please!
The GOP tribunal speaks!

f**k this Star Chamber bullshit.

brooklyn
07-18-2008, 11:09 AM
The slate mentioned in the Sun article is almost guaranteed to be the slate we voted down at the April convention.
Voter manipulation, fraud, tampering, etc., etc. It goes on and on.
There is no honor with these people. It is all self serving, ass licking scratch my back and I'll scratch yours bull shit politics and should be used as a classic example of reasons to clean house and elect people who want to serve the people, not push the agenda of party leaders.:mad:

acptulsa
07-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Who was it that charged us once upon a time (say, seven score and six years ago) to make sure that "this government of the people, by the people and for the people shall not perish from the earth"? Was it really a Republican?

Cutting the people out of the process is a violation of their bylaws, isn't it? Time to rump!

HOLLYWOOD
07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
The whole game is RIGGED....

Now the 2 FIXED BOONDOGGLES at the DNC and RNC... are charged to the American TAXPAYERS.

Damn, the American taxpayers are flipping the BILL for Conventions SECURITY which CONGRESS wrote out for $200 MILLION. ($100 MILLION for each convention)

$200 MILLION for 2 conventions in security alone...

"I Pledge Allegiance to the Party... for which IT stands, Indivisible, with Censor & Dictatorship for ALL"

ladyjade3
07-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Remember whatever precedent they decide to set with this.

Someday it will be used against them.

brooklyn
07-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Any of our representitives who voted yes for that amount of money for security should be taken out of office immediatly.
Using that kind of taxpayer funds to "protect" their fat asses is misuse of taxpayer funds, IMO.
Accountability? Where? To whom?
What a scam! And we keep on paying and bleeding.....
Usually you get kissed before you get ....well- you get my drift.:eek:

Join The Paul Side
07-18-2008, 12:10 PM

They're too busy obsessing over Obama's multi-country international rallies. I doubt it will get a whiff of coverage by the MSM. :mad:

kombayn
07-18-2008, 03:24 PM
The only good that can come out of this, is when 2012 elections come around, they will not be able to pull this kind of crap on our movement. We'll be much more prepared for 2012 when we have a Pro-Liberty candidate to support.

tnvoter
07-18-2008, 08:07 PM
On a lighter note, your sig is great!

puppetmaster
07-18-2008, 08:23 PM
we also have to remember to make Senator Bob Beers life hell if he think he is going to run for any other office...for that matter anyone who was involved in this event!!

devil21
07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
We did win 7 delegates before they shut the convention down, so regardless of the June convention, shouldn't the 7 delegates still be seated? Or is the NVGOP going to ignore it entirely and submit a full slate of their hand-picked warmongers? Anyone know?

(I submitted it to Drudge, btw)

puppetmaster
07-18-2008, 09:42 PM
We did win 7 delegates before they shut the convention down, so regardless of the June convention, shouldn't the 7 delegates still be seated? Or is the NVGOP going to ignore it entirely and submit a full slate of their hand-picked warmongers? Anyone know?

(I submitted it to Drudge, btw)

Ignore all votes....we had more than that I was there

Mesogen
07-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, how do you get 375 more RSVPs?

libertarian4321
07-18-2008, 09:59 PM
It just proves that the Republican Party is utterly corrupt, from top to bottom.

They really have no dignity, no sense of honor, and no longer even give anything more than lip service to the principles that made me join the Republican Party decades ago.

The Republicans become more corrupt and more dishonest every year.

They are going to get a righteous a$$ whipping this fall- maybe it will slap some sense into them, but I doubt it.

libertarian4321
07-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Okay, in honor of the Nevada Republican Party, I just sent $25 to Bob Barr (even though I'm still not thrilled with him), $25 to the CFL (hopefully, it will help get some decent candidates elected), and $5 to Barack Obama (partly as a "screw you" to John McCain and the Nevada GOP, and partly because I get a chance for a free all expense paid vacation in Denver for donating).

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-19-2008, 04:45 AM
THE RESIDENTS OF NEVADA NEED TO KNOW THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS NEEDS TO BE FRONT PAGE NEWS IN EVERY NEWSPAPER IN NEVADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS SHOULD ALSO BE MENTIONED ON EVERY TV NEWS BROADCAST IN THE STATE!!!!!!!!!

The PEOPLE of Nevada need to know how their votes have been applied to the nomination of those running for president. This is so important I can't stress it enough. The people of Nevada need to know this!!!!

THIS IS HOW THE REPUBLICAN PARTY WILL BE DESTROYED IN NEVADA.

I agree. What will be effective? So, who's working on this? What can we do? How can we help?

nobody's_hero
07-19-2008, 05:46 AM
Go Nevada!

Got 'em shakin' in their boots.

brooklyn
07-19-2008, 10:51 AM
----------------------------------------------------------

Here we go everybody!
We are not going away.
We will be heard.
We are still here.:)

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Nevada Republican State Delegates File Suit Against State Party

RENO, NV, July 18, 2008—Nevada State Republican delegates have filed a complaint in Second Judicial District Court late this evening, contending that the Nevada Republican Executive Committee’s decision to appoint national delegates is in violation of State law. The complaint alleges that the GOP’s decision to appoint delegates to the Republican National Convention violates NRS 293 because state delegates have been deprived of their ability to select national delegates at a convention.

“The State Executive Committee announced yesterday that they won’t bring the Nevada State Republican Convention out of recess,” said Wayne Terhune, a Republican activist in Washoe County. “They shut down the Convention in April, and now they aren’t giving delegates a chance to have their voices heard. This is a violation of the law.”

The complaint alleges that the State Executive Committee’s decision is in violation of NRS 293, which states: “In addition to such powers granted it, the state convention shall select the necessary delegates and alternates to the national convention of the party”. The complaint has been filed by local attorney Mark Goodman on behalf of several Nevada State Republican delegates.

Mike Weber, a local Republican who has served on the National Republican Rules Committee, announced early today that he is shifting the focus of his State Assembly race to make sure that the state delegates have their voices heard. “Most Republicans are getting fed up with party leaders because of underhanded tactics instead of principled leadership,” he said in a press release. “The announcement that national delegates will be appointed by a small group behind closed doors only reinforces this distrust.”

“The actions of the State Party are taking away the voice of every state delegate,” said Terhune. “Over a thousand delegates attended the convention in April, and the State Executive party officials are attempting to silence all of them. This is completely against the traditions of the Republican Party and the United States of America.”

angelatc
07-19-2008, 10:58 AM
This is something the CFL should be financing.

These people worked really hard in Nevada, and if this is allowed to happen, how many people will just stop fighting?

speciallyblend
07-19-2008, 12:12 PM
This is something the CFL should be financing.

These people worked really hard in Nevada, and if this is allowed to happen, how many people will just stop fighting?

see how far that gets you, I want big things from the CFL, but i only expect small things,unless they form a new platform at our convention and make something happen,instead of expecting them to happen on their own. I have my doubts about this useless republican party. WE NEED A NEW PLATFORM AND A NEW BRAND NAME that crosses all party lines,if not,after the election we will be back to square one,trying to sell the R that no one wants to buy!!!!