PDA

View Full Version : Japan to ban knives after stabbing spree

Razmear
07-18-2008, 01:24 AM
The language in this article is eerily similar to what the Brady Bunch spews out after every shooting in this country. I guess we know what they'll go after next...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080718/ts_afp/japancrimeweapons_080718063949

Japan moves to restrict knives after massacre

TOKYO (AFP) - A Japanese police panel has recommended a ban on possession of highly lethal double-edged knives after a troubled young man went on a stabbing spree in central Tokyo.

A panel of legal and other experts has submitted a report to the National Police Agency, saying daggers and other double-edged knives should be banned "to prevent their use in serious crimes."

Such knives are "originally intended for stabbing and are highly dangerous ... while being less efficient as a tool," the panel said in the report released online.

The panel, which also recommends tightening laws on firearms, is inviting public opinion on the report.

"We will decide on whether the current law should be revised after taking into account opinions from the public and experts," a spokeswoman at the National Police Agency said.

A ban on the double-edged blades would be Japan's first tightening of laws on knife possession in 46 years, according to Japanese media.

Disgruntled auto worker Tomohiro Kato, 25, was armed with a double-edged dagger when he went on a June 8 massacre in Tokyo's high-tech and alternative culture district of Akihabara.

Kato rammed a rented truck into pedestrians before bursting out and slashing people at random. Seven people were killed.

The most recent knife scare in Japan came Wednesday when a 14-year-old boy hijacked a bus, although he quickly surrendered to police.

The boy reportedly had trouble with parents over his choice of girlfriend.

"He was saying his parents are abandoning him... He was saying 'I want to trouble them' and 'I want to embarrass them'," one of the passengers on the hijacked bus told Japanese television.

amy31416
07-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Only the sushi suffers in these scenarios.

Dr.3D
07-18-2008, 06:23 AM
Now if they would just ban Japan.

Alex Libman
07-18-2008, 06:50 AM
That's it, no more Japanese cars or electronics for me...

JosephTheLibertarian
07-18-2008, 06:53 AM
lol. I guess the fools are also in the Japanese government. haha. Ban knives? Absurd.

MRoCkEd
07-18-2008, 07:36 AM
What if someone goes on a pencil stabbing spree? Will they ban pencils?

Primbs
07-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Forks are effective too. They will ban those next.

Dr.3D
07-18-2008, 09:34 AM
What if someone goes on a pencil stabbing spree? Will they ban pencils?

We still let children carry around a nice sharp pencil in schools. Strange how they ban knives and allow pencils.

Danke
07-18-2008, 09:34 AM
No matter how many people get stabbed by chopsticks, I bet the never ban those!

acptulsa
07-18-2008, 09:37 AM
The katana is not a two-edged sword. I guess that makes it less effective in the commission of violent crimes than a two-edged penknife?

Expatriate
07-19-2008, 05:47 PM
The katana is not a two-edged sword. I guess that makes it less effective in the commission of violent crimes than a two-edged penknife?

ROFL I guess when someone goes on a karate choppin' spree they will make the wearing of handcuffs and/or boxing gloves mandatory for all law-abiding citizens.

Zolah
07-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to ban HANDS.

Truth Warrior
07-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Are Samurai swords still legal? How about Hirikiri knives? :D

What are the implications for Bushido?

angelatc
07-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Why not ban trucks? I mean, he was able to stab those people so much because he plowed them down with a truck first.

Truth Warrior
07-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Maybe sociopaths should be banned. That would cut into the politician crowd a bunch. :D

sidster
07-20-2008, 01:39 AM
lol. I guess the fools are also in the Japanese government. haha. Ban knives? Absurd.

it is a conspiracy. i bet the chopstick lobbyists are behind this move! :D

Ron Paul Vermont
07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
England is on the verge of this as well.

jbuttell
07-25-2008, 01:22 AM
England is on the verge of this as well.

yeah, and of course like most of these pointless laws - they won't comment on it's effectiveness in the event that it doesn't reduce violent crime.

Reminds me of the recent cell-phone ban in cars here in California (thanks arnold!) I have no doubt they won't be measuring how or if it reduces accidents. Of course, if it was truly as bad as they say it is - requiring a ban - we should all see a dramatic reduction in collisions. Of course, that won't happen, but what's it matter?

More control... more reasons to pull you over, more reasons to collect $$$.

.jeremy

Dr.3D
07-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Oh, now only criminals will have knives. They will probably have more people than ever getting stabbed now.

CountryboyRonPaul
07-25-2008, 12:27 PM
What's next? Plastic bags? Pools deeper than 6 inches?

Why don't we ban Kickboxing, Tae Kwan Do, and Graeco-Roman Wrestling while we're at it.

Might as well surgically cut everyone's hamstring at birth so that nobody can escape from the scene of the violent crime they will undoubtedly commit...

SnappleLlama
07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
They should ban those delicacy pufferfish that are lethal unless the chef cooks it correctly...talk about a risk!!

Ozwest
07-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Crocodile Dundee...

Now ---

That's a knife!

Truth Warrior
07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Crocodile Dundee...

Now ---

That's a knife!
Jim Bowie did it first. :D

:p

Ozwest
07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Jim Bowie did it first. :D

:p

This is true.

Ozwest
07-25-2008, 12:43 PM
But...

Is it crocodile tested?

Ozwest
07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Beaver skins, don't cut it.

Truth Warrior
07-25-2008, 01:38 PM
But...

Is it crocodile tested?

Nope, Mexican tested. Not too many crocodiles in Texas. :D

Ozwest
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Nope, Mexican tested. Not too many crocodiles in Texas. :D

Being a x Albuquerque resident for 6 years.

I catch your drift... :D

latkinson6
07-25-2008, 02:05 PM
hmmm, why not just ban violence? anything can be used as a tool
for violence. banning the tool is just plain idiotic.
treat the sickness not the symptom.

Andrew-Austin
07-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Robots of course will be allowed to carry knives since they can be trusted.

Robots will also be the ones to enforce the knife ban. That is all, puny water sacks.

Ozwest
07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Robots of course will be allowed to carry knives since they can be trusted.

Robots will also be the ones to enforce the knife ban. That is all, puny water sacks.

Nice avatar.

I look forward to slitting a hydraulic hose, and watching the fluid drain.

Hiki
07-25-2008, 03:02 PM
You can stab a guy with the finger too, if you just concentrate in it. Will they ban fingers too?

Ozwest
07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
You can stab a guy with the finger too, if you just concentrate in it. Will they ban fingers too?

No...

Just long nails.

Ron Paul Vermont
07-25-2008, 04:25 PM
No lets ban computers. Remember that girl on myspace who commited suicide because of cyber-bullying?

Doktor_Jeep
07-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Well I think we all get it: how silly it is that governments think they can determine what happens next by putting laws on pieces of paper.

Funny though. They treat the laws that are intended to restrain them as a "goddamed piece of paper" but when they make laws to restrain us they actually think it will work.

This is why that someday, I expect there to be a lot of American tyrants whose last words will be "Where did they get guns?"

TheEvilDetector
07-25-2008, 09:43 PM
BAN PAPERCLIPS.

A straightened out paperclip is a danger to society.

Especially children, think of the children!

Also, ban FISTS.

Anyone who makes a fist, is carrying a weapon in a public area!