PDA

View Full Version : 1 in 4 California high school students drop out

yongrel
07-17-2008, 03:01 PM
1 in 4 California high school students drop out, state says
Using a new system for tracking dropouts, California discloses a rate considerably higher than previously reported. About 1 in 3 students in Los Angeles Unified left school.
By Mitchell Landsberg and Howard Blume, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
July 17, 2008
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dropout17-2008jul17,0,1269326.story?track=rss

Deploying a long-promised tool to track high school dropouts, the state released numbers Wednesday estimating that 1 in 4 California students -- and 1 in 3 in Los Angeles -- quit school. The rates are considerably higher than previously acknowledged but lower than some independent estimates.

The figures are based on a new statewide tracking system that relies on identification numbers that were issued to California public school students beginning in fall 2006.

The ID numbers allow the state Department of Education to track students who leave one school and enroll in another in California, even if it is in a different district or city. In the past, the inability to accurately track such students gave schools a loophole, allowing them to say that departing students had transferred to another school when, in some cases, they had dropped out.

The new system -- which will cost $33 million over the next three years, in addition to the millions spent for the initial development -- promises to eventually provide a far better way to understand where students go, and why. But state and school district officials acknowledged that the data initially available Wednesday, after a final one-day delay, were limited in usefulness.

"I think as the system stabilizes, you will get better data," said Esther Wong, assistant superintendent for planning, assessment and research in the Los Angeles Unified School District. For now, she said, the numbers tell only part of the story, albeit more accurately than in the past.

Jack O'Connell, state superintendent of public instruction, presented the new data, based on the 2006-07 school year, as a quantum leap forward in understanding the nature of the dropout problem. But, he said, "no one will argue that the number of dropouts is good news. . . . It represents an enormous loss of potential."

State data analysts were able to come up with a four-year "derived" dropout rate, which estimates how many students drop out over the course of their high school careers.

For the state overall, it was 24.2%, up substantially from the 13.9% calculated for the previous school year using an older, discredited method. Statewide, 67.6% of students graduated and 8.2% were neither graduates nor dropouts. The last category included those who transferred to private schools or left the state.

School districts have until the end of August to correct data, so figures could change.

The statistics highlight a problem that is getting worse in California, said Russell Rumberger, a professor of education at UC Santa Barbara who directs the California Dropout Research Project.

Even using the old system of measurement, he said, the number of dropouts has grown by 83% over five years while the number of high school graduates has gone up only 9%.

"So that's sobering, it's really sobering," he said.

Rumberger attributed the trend to three primary factors: an increase in Latino immigrants, who are among the most likely to drop out; the raising of academic standards; and insufficient funding for public education.

For Los Angeles Unified, the new dropout rate was 33.6%. The rate was 25.3% under the old system in 2005-06.

Critics, including Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, have said that as many as half of Los Angeles Unified students drop out. But a recent report by an independent research group, Policy Analysis for California Education, put the district's dropout rate at 25.7%.

O'Connell chose Birmingham High School in Van Nuys for his announcement, noting that it was the focus of a Times series on dropouts in 2006. He said he was particularly concerned by data showing a dropout rate of 41.6% for black students and 30.3% for Latino students, compared with 15.2% for whites and 10.2% for Asians.

"This is a crisis," he said.

In Los Angeles Unified, African American students dropped out at a lower rate than their counterparts statewide. That was not true of the other three groups.

Among large, comprehensive L.A. high schools, the highest dropout rates were recorded at Jefferson, 58%; Belmont, 56%; Locke, 50.9%; Crenshaw, 50%; and Roosevelt, 49.6%.

Those with the lowest rates were Palisades Charter High, 2.5%; Granada Hills Charter, 6.4%; Canoga Park, 11%; Cleveland, 12.8%; El Camino, 13%; Taft, 13.1%; Chatsworth, 14.5%; and Fairfax, 14.9%.

LittleLightShining
07-17-2008, 03:25 PM
This is probably why they don't want people homeschooling there. They need those overachievers back in the school system.

Kludge
07-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Meh.... News.

Where's the only-political-if-you-make-it-that-way cool science news?

yongrel
07-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Meh.... News.

Where's the only-political-if-you-make-it-that-way cool science news?

Patience, grasshopper.

Kludge
07-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Patience, grasshopper.

My natural reaction to mood depression is to fall asleep.... I'm tired.

familydog
07-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Part of the problem is that our society does not encourage academics and intellectual pursuits anymore.

I won't rest until chess tournaments are as popular as the Super Bowl!

danberkeley
07-17-2008, 04:20 PM
dont worry about it, at least we have high corporate taxes, high income taxes, high property taxes, high-paid bureaucrats, high-paid politicians who give themselves earmarks, an overload of regulations, you need a permit and a license for everything, we favor arts and humanities over science, math, and english, inefficient parks systems, a budget deficit, government-backed labor unions go on strike and hurt our patients, students, and elderly, uhhh.... our metropolitans areas are travel destinations sand full of crime, uhhh... havent won a world series in 20 years, havent won a super bowl in 13 years, our housing market is bust, everyone is broke yet the state wont spend less and wants to increase taxes, privately funded Stanford University is free if your parents make less than $100 thousand, while our "public" colleges cost tens of thousands to attend... uhhh.. i know there's more...

torchbearer
07-17-2008, 04:27 PM
School is not required for someone to become educated.
Parents should take the time to teach their children every moment they speak to them.
In fact, when i have a child, I intend to teach him/her my trades.

Once upon a time, most people didn't know how to read and write, so a period of forced education may have been necesary.
I think ignorance should be a choice people choose now. "Everyone else can read and write... why can't you? no one showed you how? did you ask someone for help? here, let me help you out"

ItsTime
07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
the more mexicans the more drop outs. and I am not being racist.

torchbearer
07-17-2008, 04:31 PM
the more mexicans the more drop outs. and I am not being racist.

for every increment the price of beef goes up in India, the more dogs get killed by cars in america.

ItsTime
07-17-2008, 04:34 PM
for every increment the price of beef goes up in India, the more dogs get killed by cars in america.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2002-10-10-census-hispanic-dropouts_x.htm

torchbearer
07-17-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2002-10-10-census-hispanic-dropouts_x.htm

Just saying.. as a sociologist, we need more info than a plain correlation to draw a meaningful conclusion.
Not saying you are wrong, but the inferences are still there without enough info.

ItsTime
07-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Just saying.. as a sociologist, we need more info than a plain correlation to draw a meaningful conclusion.
Not saying you are wrong, but the inferences are still there without enough info.

gotcah

priest_of_syrinx
07-17-2008, 10:13 PM
So much for our Spanish teacher telling our class in a classic propagandist fashion that publicly funded schools are essential to keep us off the streets. :rolleyes:

pinkmandy
07-17-2008, 11:59 PM
So they spend a minimum of 33 million dollars to figure out that a good portion of kids hate school? Maybe the kids got copies of The Teenage Liberation Handbook?

Conza88
07-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Part of the problem is that our society does not encourage academics and intellectual pursuits anymore.

I won't rest until chess tournaments are as popular as the Super Bowl!

In Australia, chess is classified as a sport. :D!

But then again.. we make everything a sport. Hahah

Primbs
11-16-2008, 10:40 PM
There goes the tax base and the welfare roles will get even more people on them. This could be the perfect storm where most of the tax payers move out of the state and more government handout takers move into the state creating an unresolvable budget deficit problem.

Truth Warrior
11-16-2008, 11:00 PM
3 in 4 probably should. :D

RSLudlum
11-16-2008, 11:18 PM
No need to fret, they're dropping out for the 'early bird' enrollment benefits in Obama's brownshirt national service program. ;)

Natalie
11-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I heard the graduation rate here in Houston is only like 50% :eek:

Truth Warrior
11-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Deliberate Dumbing Down of America - E Book download is NOW FREE TO ALL!!!
Right click and "Save Link As"
Click here to begin download
File is 6.75 MB (http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/MomsPDFs/DDDoA.sml.pdf)

Grimnir Wotansvolk
11-21-2008, 02:03 AM
we should strive to make that number 4 in 4, all across the country

liberteebell
11-21-2008, 05:02 AM
Maybe it's a good thing. After listening to my daughter tell me how one of her teachers spent the last two days promoting communism, I'm about to drop her out myself. Except for the fact that my daughter is more than willing to argue when she disagrees, and thus, can improve her thinking skills, school is just about a total waste.

SimpleName
11-21-2008, 09:10 PM
What a shame! This is an absolute disgrace. At least 90-95% should have dropped out. ;) Still being in high school, it is an absolute miserable place to be. It becomes especially irritating when you realize all the horrible, oppressing things the school performs. The cell phone taking, the noise complaints, the forced hood and hat removal, the headphone removal, restriction of food and drink intake, the dress code, the rigid and absolute schedule...and this is before a student even GETS IN THE SCHOOL! Once you get in the school, it gets much worse. It is more of the same, plus a lack of choice in teachers and teaching strategies/plans, a completely inhumane refusal to use the bathroom, an overbearing barrel of administration, an intense slew of punishments for petty infractions such as tardies as well as over the top punishments for positive drug tests, fist fights (even verbal), or even cursing which cause excessive fines (over 300 dollars) and prolonged suspensions or expulsions. None of this would be a problem if the students' parents and the students themselves agreed to learn in such an institution, but we all know otherwise. Parents are sent home court orders to pay fines for "excessive" absences and are forced to deal with their child's homework as it infringes more and more upon their family and personal life. In this illusion of education, families are torn apart. Parents judge their child's intelligence by grades given by state-instituted employees and children are punished for not conforming to the "authority's" bureaucratic system. Children feel like outcasts and rebel because they feel like sitting ducks, being brutally beaten into submission by tyrannical government, without any say in how they want to be learn.

It is a sad state of society when "normal-minded" human beings, by far the greatest knowledge seekers on the planet, do not want to learn. Knowing that knowledge will empower them and lead them to great success if properly applied, they do not want to learn. They refuse to even bother trying. They cheat, they copy & paste...they do whatever they can to get out of the hell they find themselves in, but they absolutely do not learn the material. These are children that could have become very powerfully minded people. The teachers, the principles, their parents, their guidance counselors, their president, their congress, their greedy businesses all use tactics to make the child feel as if they are worthless if they do not go to college and succeed academically. If every waking moment of the child's life isn't wasted on searching for colleges, applying to colleges, studying subjects completely unrelated to their interests, taking the SATS, or taking Advanced classes, the schools treat them as if they are useless trash to be thrown under the bus. But, no worry...this is our marvelous public school system. Second to none. :p

I seem to have these tantrums, ranting relentlessly as intellectually as I possibly can. Come to think of it, I have a senior research paper that I am required to do in order to graduate (more BS). I have assured myself I will now do a persuasive paper on why compulsory public education is a waste...maybe in different words.