PDA

View Full Version : Boston publicity stunt?

bc2208
08-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Do you guys recall a few months ago when that adult swim show put signs all over Boston, and the city flipped out thinking it was a terrorist attack? Any ideas for how we can replicate that reaction with a RP theme?

McDermit
08-28-2007, 11:52 PM
doing it with the intent to create panic would be illegal.. and would make you liable for any overreaction.

but publicity stunts that don't call in the bomb squad and shut down entire cities wouldn't be a bad thing.

pyrazole2
08-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Oh yes, loved it. Begged and pleaded with my Boston friend to give me one he took down. Those things were going crazy on ebay.

On topic: If there was intent to cause panic, no.... Possibility of panic...well, act innocent at least. Really, though, this 'painting the town Ron' and the campus chalking are good 'stunts'. As long as it's noticed, it doesn't have to be elaborate.

You know it's just a matter of time before someone takes it the wrong way though.

LizF
08-29-2007, 12:01 AM
The key is to get good publicity for RP. What those guys did really ticked off a lot of folks (many of whom were stuck in traffic; missed appointments) and generated some bad publicity for the advertising company with which they were associated, and ended up costing Turner Broadcasting some money:

From Wikipedia:

Fallout
"City and State officials have come to an agreement with Turner Broadcasting to pay for costs incurred during the incident. As part of a settlement that resolves all criminal and civil claims, Turner Broadcasting Systems and Interference Inc. have agreed to pay $2 million. $1 million of this will go towards the Boston police department, and $1 million will go towards homeland security. In addition, Turner released a statement to take responsibility and apologize for the incident.[18]

Jim Samples stepped down from his 13 year position as head of Cartoon Network on 2007-02-09.[19]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_Mooninite_scare

trispear
08-29-2007, 12:46 AM
I usually don't side with big media, but it's scary how the city got paid off for their stupidity and that those idiotic officials got rewarded while someone like Jim Samples has to step down.

I think Turner should have fought this all the way.

From Wikipedia:

Fallout
"City and State officials have come to an agreement with Turner Broadcasting to pay for costs incurred during the incident. As part of a settlement that resolves all criminal and civil claims, Turner Broadcasting Systems and Interference Inc. have agreed to pay $2 million. $1 million of this will go towards the Boston police department, and $1 million will go towards homeland security. In addition, Turner released a statement to take responsibility and apologize for the incident.[18]

Jim Samples stepped down from his 13 year position as head of Cartoon Network on 2007-02-09.[19]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_Mooninite_scare

MicheleFloyd
02-05-2008, 01:12 PM
I found this topic doing a search for publicity stunts. We need to generate publicity, but the good kind. Somehow, we need to get people's attention and go further than waving signs. For instance, perhaps a group of people could dress up as patriots and play the drums and whistle? outside CNN headquarters.

Or, we could all do a day of community service out of respect for our heritage. I'm not sure what that means, but one idea that came to mind is we pick one day to help the elderly by doing something really nice for them. It could be about the idea that we need to rely on each other, and not the government to take care of our needs. We could say we have respect for the elders of this nation, just like we revere the founding fathers (and mothers) of this country.

Voodoo
02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Feature-Article.htm?InfoNo=029600

JimInNY
02-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I'll give you a publicity stunt that is guaranteed to work. Not only will it get tons of media attention but the guys that participate will get propositioned all day long, every day, by beautiful women. I know. I used to use this stunt to peddle my goods at fairs and other events.

It got me on the evening news in a bunch of places and got my friend on the Leno Show 2 years ago, during Bike Week in Sturgis.

However, it takes real men to do it.

acptulsa
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I'll give you a publicity stunt that is guaranteed to work. Not only will it get tons of media attention but the guys that participate will get propositioned all day long, every day, by beautiful women. I know. I used to use this stunt to peddle my goods at fairs and other events.

It got me on the evening news in a bunch of places and got my friend on the Leno Show 2 years ago, during Bike Week in Sturgis.

However, it takes real men to do it.

You remind me of about five candidates I could name. Great sounding promises, absolutely no specifics!

PaultheSaint
02-05-2008, 01:30 PM
doing it with the intent to create panic would be illegal.. and would make you liable for any overreaction.

but publicity stunts that don't call in the bomb squad and shut down entire cities wouldn't be a bad thing.

That stunt that was mentioned didn't warrent a bomb squad. Good indication of a parnoid out of control society(well authorities).

That was pathetic

acptulsa
02-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Let's go back to Boston. Either use rain gear and umbrellas or dress for the beach and, the next time it rains, call attention to the fact that it rains as much inside the Big Dig tunnel as outside! Signs: The right conservative to rally behind--the guy who did this or Ron Paul?

JimInNY
02-05-2008, 01:47 PM
You remind me of about five candidates I could name. Great sounding promises, absolutely no specifics!

I just wanted someone to ask for them. hehehe

So here goes....

10,000 men across the country vow to wear these over their pants every day until Ron Paul wins the presidency:

http://newr3volution.com/images/thong.jpg

acptulsa
02-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Sold! I'll even do it without the pants--provided, of course, it isn't so cold out that I can't do it justice!

JimInNY
02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
So you think it would do the trick? I will tell you from experience, it sells t-shirts and other goodies. Plus it gets you lots of phone numbers. lol

acptulsa
02-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Maybe we should combine our ideas. These, shower caps, brushes and soap in the Big Dig on a rainy day to demonstrate how much it leaks. Several "do we want the guy who did this in charge of the nation?" signs and Ron Paul signs. Voi la.

Can the media resist? If one outlet does, after all, the others get all the ratings... The free market is good!

JimInNY
02-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Maybe we should combine our ideas.

Don't forget to wear your pink thong...

acptulsa
02-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Don't forget to wear your pink thong...

Of course! One, it puts some fun in this campaign, which is just what it needs at this point. Two, it puts some sex appeal in, which is what makes it impossible for the media to black it out (for fear their competitors will get all the ratings). Three, it kills the "rally behind Romney" rhetoric.

Can we get a lady's point of view on this one?

bc2208
02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
We tried one in Boston and almost got arrested last night.

MicheleFloyd
02-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Just remember to alert the media, local and otherwise, to what you're doing. It'd be nice if we could shame CNN into doing something about their poor journalism.