PDA

View Full Version : Suck it up, America

yongrel
07-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Suck it up, America
By ROGER SIMON | 7/14/08 7:30 PM EST
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11744.html

Let’s stop the whining. I mean it. It is ruining the country.

If we all stopped whining, the economy would recover, the banks would stop failing, the stock market would go up, the value of your home would rise and you could fill your gas tank for less than the cost of a diamond tiara.

OK, so maybe that last one is optimistic. But good things would happen.

And that is because almost all problems are mental.

Phil Gramm says so. And when it comes to mental, Phil Gramm knows a thing or two.

Gramm, a former U.S. senator and congressman and now a wealthy banker, has been a close friend and economic adviser to John McCain.

And Gramm said recently that we are not in a real recession, just a “mental recession,” and that our real problem is that we have become “a nation of whiners.”

He caught a lot of flak for this, but why not give his theory a test?

The average cost of regular gasoline is about $4.11 per gallon right now. (It is much higher than that in my neighborhood, but my neighborhood is filled with whiners.)

Ask yourself, however, why it costs that much. Isn’t it because your mental attitude stinks?

What if you drove into your local gas station and said to the mopey guy in the glass booth who is just there to sell cigarettes to teenagers, “Top o’ the morning to you! Isn’t it a great day? I think so. And, gee, you’re looking great. You been working out?”

Then you could say, “So can I get my gasoline for $3 a gallon today? Like I did a year ago?”

And you know what? This will work! The pump price will drop before your very eyes!

This is Phil Gramm’s Stop-Whining-Be-Happy Theory of Life that states that if you just stop whining about things, they will get better.

Gramm knows what he is talking about. He ran for president in 1996, raising $20 million, which was more than anybody else and real money in those days. (In today’s dollars, it would be about $12.95.)

At every campaign stop, Gramm reminded people that he had “flunked the third, seventh and ninth grades,” which means he was certainly smart enough to become a U.S. senator, but I guess people felt he needed to flunk a few more grades before he could become president.

Gramm decided to spend his money losing two contests that few people had ever heard of — the Alaska and Louisiana caucuses — so he could have a solid record of two losses even before he got to Iowa, where he came in fifth.

(John McCain was his national campaign chairman, and McCain learned a valuable lesson: Lose nothing before you lose Iowa.)

Gramm dropped out of the presidential race, but did he whine? No! Instead, he continued as a U.S. senator, retiring in 2002 and going on to become vice chairman for UBS Investment Bank, where he lobbied Congress, the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department on banking and mortgage issues.
You can see how successful he was at that.

And there is no reason to limit Gramm’s theory to economics. It is all about attitude and how that affects everything.

Take the Iraq war. Sure, it has lasted longer than World War II. Sure, it has lasted longer than World War I. Sure, it has lasted longer than the Korean War and the Civil War.

But the Revolutionary War lasted longer and the Vietnam War lasted longer. And we batted .500 for those two!

So quit yer whining.

micahnelson
07-17-2008, 08:20 AM
This is one of the greatest things I have ever read in my entire life.

acptulsa
07-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Actually, twenty million back then would not be $12.95 today. It would be closer to three point seven gazillion. I don't think even Zimbabwe has printed a bill that big (yet). But, hey, I liked the article, so don't accuse me of whining.

Unless you're giving away cheese...

priest_of_syrinx
07-17-2008, 09:15 AM
But the Revolutionary War lasted longer and the Vietnam War lasted longer. And we batted .500 for those two!

So quit yer whining.

That sounds like an actual neocon argument. :D

pacelli
07-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm sure the music on the Titanic was entertaining and positive while there was a 300-ft gash in the side of the ship.

Theocrat
07-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Phil Gramm is "sucking it up," alright. It seems he's already drinking "America's milkshakes" as we speak. Will there be blood? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWuGWmM2PAI) ;)

Kludge
07-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Sittin’ in my office with a plate of grilled bacon,
Call my man Dwight just to see what was shakin’

Yo Mike, our town is dope and pretty
So check out how we live in the Electric City!

They call it Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City

Lazy Scranton the Electric City
They call it that ’cause of the electricity

The city’s laid out from east to west
And our public parks and libraries are truly the best

Call poison control if you’re bit by a spider
But check that it’s covered by your health care provider!

Are you hungry? Well
quit yer whining.
The new downtown has five-star dining

You lack coal mines and you wanna see ‘em,
Well, check it out, yo, the Anthracite Museum!

The dope thing to do, that’s several and counting
The illest place to go is Montage Mountain

Plenty of space in the parking lot,
But the little cars go in the compact spot
Spot, spot, spot, spot …

Snack attack time, don’t lose your head
We like Cugino’s for the tasty bread

They call it Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Suck it up, America
By ROGER SIMON | 7/14/08 7:30 PM EST
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11744.html

Let’s stop the whining. I mean it. It is ruining the country.

If we all stopped whining, the economy would recover, the banks would stop failing, the stock market would go up, the value of your home would rise and you could fill your gas tank for less than the cost of a diamond tiara.

OK, so maybe that last one is optimistic. But good things would happen.

And that is because almost all problems are mental.

Phil Gramm says so. And when it comes to mental, Phil Gramm knows a thing or two.

Gramm, a former U.S. senator and congressman and now a wealthy banker, has been a close friend and economic adviser to John McCain.

And Gramm said recently that we are not in a real recession, just a “mental recession,” and that our real problem is that we have become “a nation of whiners.”

He caught a lot of flak for this, but why not give his theory a test?

The average cost of regular gasoline is about $4.11 per gallon right now. (It is much higher than that in my neighborhood, but my neighborhood is filled with whiners.)

Ask yourself, however, why it costs that much. Isn’t it because your mental attitude stinks?

What if you drove into your local gas station and said to the mopey guy in the glass booth who is just there to sell cigarettes to teenagers, “Top o’ the morning to you! Isn’t it a great day? I think so. And, gee, you’re looking great. You been working out?”

Then you could say, “So can I get my gasoline for $3 a gallon today? Like I did a year ago?”

And you know what? This will work! The pump price will drop before your very eyes!

This is Phil Gramm’s Stop-Whining-Be-Happy Theory of Life that states that if you just stop whining about things, they will get better.

Gramm knows what he is talking about. He ran for president in 1996, raising $20 million, which was more than anybody else and real money in those days. (In today’s dollars, it would be about $12.95.)

At every campaign stop, Gramm reminded people that he had “flunked the third, seventh and ninth grades,” which means he was certainly smart enough to become a U.S. senator, but I guess people felt he needed to flunk a few more grades before he could become president.

Gramm decided to spend his money losing two contests that few people had ever heard of — the Alaska and Louisiana caucuses — so he could have a solid record of two losses even before he got to Iowa, where he came in fifth.

(John McCain was his national campaign chairman, and McCain learned a valuable lesson: Lose nothing before you lose Iowa.)

Gramm dropped out of the presidential race, but did he whine? No! Instead, he continued as a U.S. senator, retiring in 2002 and going on to become vice chairman for UBS Investment Bank, where he lobbied Congress, the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department on banking and mortgage issues.
You can see how successful he was at that.

And there is no reason to limit Gramm’s theory to economics. It is all about attitude and how that affects everything.

Take the Iraq war. Sure, it has lasted longer than World War II. Sure, it has lasted longer than World War I. Sure, it has lasted longer than the Korean War and the Civil War.

So quit yer whining.
Introduction
With all due respect.

Take that attitude back to Europe, please. Thank you.
The first rule in looking for rationality is to look for the thesis statement in political Jargon. So, what is the thesis statement here?

The one thing that government never gets is the simple order that is necessary for it to operate properly. Thesis: Government should always concern itself with happiness first which is an action that empowers the people to be responsible. It does not work the other way around and that is what they never get. We need to be whiners as Americans because we should all be trying to exsistentially live the American dream in a 20 bedroom 5.5 bathroom mansion with a three car garage containing his or her Lamborghinis.

Body of Essay
The Europeans came over here not as poor farmers trying to work their way up to the American dream but as master artisans and craftsmen trying to find a dignified way to survive by growing food as menial farmers. Therefore, the first American way was to starve oneself to death meaning that the American way was to cry like babies rather than accept the notion of responsible, downward mobility.

Eventually we worked out a dignified way for artisan and craftsmen gentlemen to work as menial farmers. This became known as the America work ethic of working oneself to death. This theory was based on the farmer getting up to milk the cow at 4 in the morning, taking a lunch break from breaking ones back during the day, and then finishing up exhausted to eat dinner at 9 in the evening.

This work ethic of working oneself to death led to the Puritan tendency to bind and persecute others to the worshipping of responsible rituals rather than they just envite others to enjoy freely the singing of a song in Church about the wonderful Lord Jesus Christ. Enjoyment is a foreign thing to us just as happiness is. In other words, when it comes to government, it is always responsibility first with us when even our founding fathers took great trouble to spell out the contrary.

Conclusion
So, it is the American way to whine. We should all whine expecting to live a happy lifestyle in a mansion one day while any responsible or practical idea arguing the contrary should be hated by Americans. We are here to be happy first, damn it, not responsible.

HOLLYWOOD
07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Actually, twenty million back then would not be $12.95 today. It would be closer to three point seven gazillion. I don't think even Zimbabwe has printed a bill that big (yet). But, hey, I liked the article, so don't accuse me of whining.

Unless you're giving away cheese...

I think the correct amount is: $7 BAZILLION Hah!

but who's counting budgets, when numbers to Phil Gramm and the U.S government are indefinite numbers?

Look for the joint Zimbabwe and the U.S. Currency's Greenback to implement the "Exponential/Logarithmic TREASURY NOTES" joint printing system.

It saves INK of printing the ZEROES! :rolleyes:

Conza88
07-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Baahahahah omg, thanks again 'grel. :D

Mach
07-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Talk about an inside job, people keep stickin' it to yah, say..... toughen up, then, bend you over again, the terrible thing here is, there are lots out there with bruises on their ankles from such a tight grip, kinda like they're proud to be so good at it too.