PDA

View Full Version : Storing Gold

bew2005
07-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I am at a loss....

Where in the world do people safely store gold?

Safe Deposit Box? Apparently not so safe if the bank goes under or the government wants what is in it.
With a storing company? Similar problems to a bank.
In a safe at your house? If so, do you insure the contents of the safe? How expensive is that?
Hide it at your house in a random spot? Obvious risk someone may steal it.
Hide it in a mayonaise jar in timbuktu under a mound of elephant dung? :)

In all seriousness, I do not see where gold can be stored safely away from the long arm of the government but also in a safe enough place that a thief cannot take it. Please help.

rapidtrends
07-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I choose to keep a small amount of physical on hand, and store a larger amount with a reputable private bullion custodian.

PM me if you would like more details on how I did it.

Gideon
07-17-2008, 02:14 AM
I am at a loss....

Safe Deposit Box? Apparently not so safe if the bank goes under or the government wants what is in it.
In a safe at your house? If so, do you insure the contents of the safe? How expensive is that?

In all seriousness, I do not see where gold can be stored safely away from the long arm of the government but also in a safe enough place that a thief cannot take it. Please help.

Need I interpret for you?

Very well then:
Please don't ask specifics, because I'm not telling, although you are on the right track that a safe deposit box is far from safe. Be discrete, be creative, and above all, be quiet.

Dr.3D
07-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Thieves wont steal what they don't know you have. That is rule number one.

Hide it in a wall or bury it under a rock. Use your imagination. I'm sure you can come up with a creative way to make it disappear. Just don't forget to leave a note that can be decoded by a relative in the event you pass on and nobody knows where to look.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
07-17-2008, 09:14 AM
There are metal detectors that can discriminate for only gold. Make sure that it is not in a place that is easily scanned with a detector to a depth of about 15 inches if you think someone might have access to that house for a few hours.

People have found Roman gold in walls and old buildings with a gold detector. But it takes a long time.

If you cant bury it make sure you think of a place that is not easily guessed. Good thieves can guess your places in about 3 minutes and maybe 15 minutes to scan quickly.

But that Roman gold was safe for about 2000 years. Thats pretty good in my book.

jonahtrainer
07-17-2008, 10:14 AM
I am at a loss....

Storing some, perhaps a couple thousand worth, at home is fine and has a very low risk of theft. You should have a stash close to you. DO NOT USE Safe deposit boxes (http://www.runtogold.com/Run_To_Gold/Run_To_Gold_Blog/Entries/2008/5/28_Good_Revenue_Source%3A__Safe_Deposit_Boxes.html ). For any large amounts (>$5,000) I recommend GoldMoney (http://www.mygoldmoney.com) as they are safe, secure, affordable and liquid.

Acala
07-17-2008, 10:40 AM
One of the great things about gold is that it concentrates wealth in a small volume. It is not hard to hide a significant amount.

Foil metal detectors by hiding in places where there is lots of other metal around and/or where it would be hard to get a metal detector.

A metal detector that will discriminate between gold and a copper pipe right next to it is a rare item indeed. The government is not going to search the entire country with expensive, finicky metal detectors just to try and root out some small stashes of gold. They don't have to because most people will be unprepared. By issuing orders, sealing safe deposit boxes, and confiscating the gold held by banks, brokers, and other businesses, they will get 95% and that will be enough.

Of course you want to avoid making yourself a target by telling people what you are doing.

tmosley
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, just keep it at home. I keep my silver in a safe, although if I get a bunch more, I'l probably bury it under the house.

I've been thinking of making some sort of setup that allows easy access if you know how to get in, but floods the chamber with a quick set polymer of some sort if it is broken into.

Your best defense is discretion. Look poor, act poor, but when the crisis comes, eat well, and buy up real property for dirt cheap.

bander87
07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Check out http://goldismoney.info. Lots of topics there on hiding and storing PMs

satchelmcqueen
07-17-2008, 07:19 PM
heres a few ideals....good and bad...

bury it on your land
incase it in concrete walkway
hide in old motor in junk car under valve covers or intakes
sink in pond with rope if you have a pond
hide in well with stainless cable if you have a well
hide in "hamburger meat" in freezer