PDA

View Full Version : Chalking intersections?

deedles
08-28-2007, 09:48 PM
How long do you guys think a chalked intersection would last? Through rush hour morning traffic, at least? I was also thinking about chalking some bridges...

Man from La Mancha
08-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Aervoe Inverted Spray Marking Chalk
Aervoe inverted marking chalks are a special blend of raw materials that are safe on all surfaces and are designed specifically for temporary marking.
Mark will disappear in 10 to 20 days when exposed to water, traffic and other abrasions.
It can also be washed off with a pressure washer if desired.

Sold in full case of 12 20-oz (15-oz net weight) cans only

Volume pricing available for 40+ case orders, mixed colors OK.
Contact us for details.

Must be shipped via ground shipping methods only!
Please see our Policy & FAQ page for more details

Price: $38.95
http://jordanindustrial.zoovy.com/product/AE21X

ghemminger
08-28-2007, 10:07 PM
HOT just posted this to my meetup THANKS

katao
08-28-2007, 10:10 PM
What colors would look good and stand out the best?

njandrewg
08-28-2007, 10:20 PM
this is where a sign is better than chalk. Don't think many people would read stuff on the ground while driving

trispear
08-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Actually, the sign would be very visible going up an incline or before the marker at a light, stop sign People would read the road more often than a sign off the road, mostly because it's an unusual spot.

Make sure it's not a hazard though, don't right "stop" or any other word like that in the sign if it's just at a random spot in middle of the road - as people tend to pick out words.

Is there a stenciling kit big enough? I'd like to do this but have it look big and professional - just a RonPaul2008.com , or "Who is Ron Paul?"

All the stencils at Wal Mart are too small.

axiomata
08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
I don't recommend that paint chalk stuff. Some people used it on campus last year, and you can still make it out. It was also over the student newspaper and the administration got involved because they thought it was spray paint.

Hook
08-28-2007, 11:06 PM
What would be fun is to make a huge "chalk plotter" that was a trailer hooked to your car. Then you could print out messages as you drove down the road. You could even print out false 3d pictures like that sidewalk artist and make it look real in the right perspective.
Check out this for an example:
http://www.rense.com/general67/street.htm

Man from La Mancha
08-29-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't recommend that paint chalk stuff. Some people used it on campus last year, and you can still make it out. It was also over the student newspaper and the administration got involved because they thought it was spray paint. Definitely something that should be tested, don't want to leave a bad impression on people. I have not tried it. Maybe this product is better and it is day glow. These chalks can be used on grass which gets cut and on snow which would melt so in those situations in would be cleaner.

http://www.kuzsports.com/spray_chalk.htm

Thunderbolt
08-29-2007, 01:35 AM

njandrewg
08-29-2007, 01:37 AM
everyone knows clinton, noone knows Ron Paul...personally if I saw a whole bunch of ronpaul2008.com i'd probably check it out at home

john_anderson_ii
08-29-2007, 01:40 AM
I don't think it would go over very well here in Phoenix. We have a big graffiti problem here. No one even reads the stuff anymore, they just call the graffiti buster guys to clean it up. Plus they put you in jail and give the guy who turned you in $150 if you get caught, even if it's with chalk or whatever.

It might work quite will in other areas though. I live out in a pretty Rural area, and I just thought about chalking "Ron Paul in 2008!" on the dairy cows out here.

I think I'd have some pretty pissed off milk farmers (whatever they are called), but it would be cool.

trispear
08-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Would you be cool with it in your town if the sidewalks were all chalked with Clinton's name on them? Would it turn you on to her? Would you go look her up online to find out more of her positions or call the local cops?

I don't know the answer. Just putting out the question. Perhaps a Who is Ron Paul? might peak curiosity. But then again, it might have blowback. What do you all think?

Does this get more positive or negative reactions?If it were anybody else, I honestly couldn't care less.

Like that one kid in the video said "This is our country people!" 200+ years ago, we fought a revolution.

Now people are fretting over the smallest acts while our country is going down the drain. Remember this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-10-03-debt-cover_x.htm

and what it will mean to your future.

Man from La Mancha
08-29-2007, 01:48 AM
Nothing is stopping anybody from doing it to their own cars and would draw lots of attention because people would think that you have screwed up an expensive car for Ron Paul but it should wash off.
http://www.kuzsports.com/cars3.jpg

Thunderbolt
08-29-2007, 01:49 AM

Thunderbolt
08-29-2007, 01:49 AM

john_anderson_ii
08-29-2007, 02:00 AM
I have some chalk based liquid window markers I use to mark up my car and truck. I have a ford station wagon and a Dodge Nitro. Both have HUGE back windows. So I have a brightly colored "Google Ron Paul" on both of them.

They can be clearly read from quite a few car lengths back, and the message is so short that by casually glancing at the words, your brain has already read them. So everyone who even casually glances at my window in traffic has the potential to remember the name "Ron Paul" and then go home and google him.

Thunderbolt
08-29-2007, 02:07 AM

Thunderbolt
08-29-2007, 02:07 AM

LibertyEagle
08-29-2007, 02:48 AM
I don't recommend that paint chalk stuff. Some people used it on campus last year, and you can still make it out. It was also over the student newspaper and the administration got involved because they thought it was spray paint.

Someone had better check this out. If this is correct, then if we chalk, we are nothing more than vandals.

McDermit
08-29-2007, 02:58 AM
the crayola spray chalk washes off easily. I've never tried the other brands though.

And regular chalk likely won't result on "blowback" ... If anything, people may just write it off as some overzealous kids getting a little too excited about the campaign. I can't imagine anyone refusing to vote for him because some supporters wrote his name on the ground using sidewalk chalk.

trispear
08-29-2007, 03:06 AM
If anything, people may just write it off as some overzealous kids getting a little too excited about the campaign. I can't imagine anyone refusing to vote for him because some supporters wrote his name on the ground using sidewalk chalk.On the hannity boards, I see some people saying that they will never vote for Ron Paul because of his overzealous supporters -- but I think they are blowhards trying to a)scare away RP supporters from actively supporting him and/or b)rationalizing a decision they made independently because they are Neo-cons or Warhawks.

I never saw a bunch of littered coke cans or bottles and thought "that's it, I'll never drink a coke again! That will show the Coca-Cola company for littering this beautiful place."

Nefertiti
08-29-2007, 03:30 AM
BAD idea! I know you got this idea from chalking campuses but that is the sort of thing done on campuses. Fully grown and mature adults don't advertise things in this manner. At best it will appear juvenile, at worst people will regard it as graffiti and think that Ron Paul has something to do with a gang.

Anyone who supports this idea should state their age. If they are under the age of 25, take it with a grain of salt.

trispear
08-29-2007, 03:33 AM

"He that is overcautious will accomplish little."
--Friedrich von Schiller

trispear
08-29-2007, 03:39 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here

Maybe "Who is Ron Paul?" will become the next graffiti fad!:p

Seriously, before we analyze the good or badness of this to death, try it in several towns and gauge the reaction. That is the only way to tell.

If it's a bad idea, no major damage done. We'll find another avenue of attack.

However, we could talk it to death and still not be any closer to the truth of the matter but have wasted a lot of time which we don't have.

Nefertiti
08-29-2007, 06:00 AM
I'd say either a town is pretty clean to begin with and the residents aren't going to appreciate it being vandalized in this manner (which is what this is basically) or the town already has graffiti and it is going to be assumed to be gang related.

McDermit
08-29-2007, 09:28 AM
The same arguments could be used for hanging banners or posting signs on public property.

Thunderbolt
08-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Man from La Mancha
08-29-2007, 04:34 PM
That is why I like putting up huge 3x40ft banners temporary over rush hour freeway overpasses then removing them after 3 hours, its fun waving at the cars that wave and honk at you.. Or covering your own cars and buildings in advertisements. I can't wait to get my can of spray chalk on my car.

dircha
08-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, in Phoenix they are getting a lot of blowback from their banners. The police are taking them down. Residents call into shows complaining about Ron Paul and his "MESS" and it is hurting the campaign.

This does not "turn on" people over 30 or anyone who actually owns property.

You look like vandals and punks and therefore Ron Paul looks like a kook who might as well be for the pot smoking party.

I don't imagine you are planning on drawing on your own property - you are planning on drawing on other people's property and on public property which is owned by all.

What if everyone did this? Your town would look like a vandalized mess.

Thank you! Finally.

This might be fine on campus or in a college town if you want to take the personal legal risk.

But anywhere else, you are putting Ron Paul's good image in the hands of the media. All it takes is one newspaper headline with a picture of the vandalism and a quote from the police chief saying that Ron Paul supporters are vandalizing public property at a cleanup cost of $17,000, or whatever the case may be, and all of a sudden you are losing more votes than you are gaining.

ladyliberty
08-29-2007, 04:56 PM
I am 47 - not a little kid anymore but this chalk idea tickles me. Why not use the same Ron Paul Revolution stencil used to make those nifty banners, only instead of a banner it becomes a chalked stencil - something that can't be yanked down and will not do any damage to the environment either. I can see these chalk banners going up on blank walls, dumpsters, railroad cars. Of course it would have to be done under the cover of darkness adding to the adventure of it all! :)

I am thinking about writing Ron Paul's names on the backs of dusty cars and trucks with my finger - instead of "wash me" :D

I like the link to the Kildare site - I think every piece of mail I send out will have Ron Paul 2008 written on it somewhere - even my bills!;)