PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul as a write-in

BlutStein
08-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Yes, I know its a bit early to talk about this. But I've been wondering if with the new electronic ballots, if you can still write candidate's names in? As it stands right now, he will get my vote no matter what. If that means I have to fill out an absentee ballot and write his name in, so be it.

I've thought about what if he doesn't win the primaries, wouldn't it make more sense to vote for someone else in order to fend off someone worse winning the white house. And in thinking about it, I've come to realize their really isn't a second place here, no one I'd want to vote for to stem off someone else. Their all pretty bad this time around.

So unless there is a really good argument otherwise. Come election time, Ron Paul will at least have my vote for sure.

Joe Knows
08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Yes, I know its a bit early to talk about this. But I've been wondering if with the new electronic ballots, if you can still write candidate's names in? As it stands right now, he will get my vote no matter what. If that means I have to fill out an absentee ballot and write his name in, so be it.

I've thought about what if he doesn't win the primaries, wouldn't it make more sense to vote for someone else in order to fend off someone worse winning the white house. And in thinking about it, I've come to realize their really isn't a second place here, no one I'd want to vote for to stem off someone else. Their all pretty bad this time around.

So unless there is a really good argument otherwise. Come election time, Ron Paul will at least have my vote for sure.

In Florida if you write a person's name on the ballot it will not be counted, unless that candidate has filed the necessary paperwork with the supervisor of elections to run a write in campaign. So if you just arbitrarily write in a name you have wasted your vote, because no one will ever know who you voted for.

Richie
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM
I looked into this myself. Maryland uses the touch screen Diebold voting machines, and according to the Maryland State Board of Elections, you can write in a candidate's name. However, you might want to look into your state voting laws. Some states don't count write-ins, some don't count absentees, etc.

michaelwise
08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
In Florida if you write a person's name on the ballot it will not be counted, unless that candidate has filed the necessary paperwork with the supervisor of elections to run a write in campaign. So if you just arbitrarily write in a name you have wasted your vote, because no one will ever know who you voted for. Thanks for this informaton.

If a write in campaign becomes necessary, What is the current number of Ron Paul voters who could possibly write his name in, in the general election. 75 million?
We could be a real thorn in the side of Mitt Romney, in the general election, if Ron Paul doesn't win in the primary.
We should use the power we have now to convey a message to the party that we will do this out of spite, if we do not start getting some media attention soon, and lose the primary because of it.

I pledge to write-in Ron Paul in the general election.

DjLoTi
08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
The idea of a 'write in' candidate winning the presidency is noble and exciting, but I think it is far more realistic to succeed in the primaries then a massive write-in for Ron Paul movement.

alaric
08-28-2007, 08:56 PM
i intend to vote for ron paul as a write in if he is denied the primary. none of the other candidates in either party are worth my vote. my last wasted vote was for george bush, because i couldn't stand kerry or gore. i won't fall for that cfr trap again!

Hook
08-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for this informaton.

If a write in campaign becomes necessary, What is the current number of Ron Paul voters who could possibly write his name in, in the general election. 75 million?
We could be a real thorn in the side of Mitt Romney, in the general election, if Ron Paul doesn't win in the primary.
We should use the power we have now to convey a message to the party that we will do this out of spite, if we do not start getting some media attention soon, and lose the primary because of it.

I pledge to write-in Ron Paul in the general election.

75 Million people writing in RP? Not likely. I'll bet that he does get enough write-ins to get national attention though.

DjLoTi
08-28-2007, 09:03 PM
If he can't win the primaries, I seriously doubt he'll succeed in a successful 'write-in' campaign to win the white house.

The primaries is all anyone should care about, at this point.

I got to admit, it annoys me a little to see these topics. There's like 4-5 a week. PRIMARIES, people. PRIMARIES

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Not even a consideration. He wins the GOP nomination or we lose. There's no back door here, folks. Get your butts in gear, 'cause this is the only chance we'll have in a very, very long time.

ghemminger
08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Not even a consideration. He wins the GOP nomination or we lose. There's no back door here, folks. Get your butts in gear, 'cause this is the only chance we'll have in a very, very long time.

YUP not a chance....

american.swan
08-28-2007, 09:17 PM
If he can't win the primaries, I seriously doubt he'll succeed in a successful 'write-in' campaign to win the white house.

The primaries is all anyone should care about, at this point.

I got to admit, it annoys me a little to see these topics. There's like 4-5 a week. PRIMARIES, people. PRIMARIES

It is human nature to think about these things and to think human nature is offensive is quite odd to me. We can even take the current political/financial problems with America and say their the result of human nature too, but we can change this government; we can't always change what people want to think about.

All of us here have thought about this. If you want to write in his name, VOTE EARLY!! If you want your vote to count, VOTE EARLY!! Again this goes back to Greg Palast's investigations, but I won't go their again on this post.

I think writing his name in is admirable and under that situation the best thing to do. No one else is worth our vote.

NOTE: There is a couple states with some odd laws on "none of the above" votes, but they don't apply to any national elections.

This topic also brings up the situation where Ron Paul looses, due to "lack of time to get the message out vs the blackout". What do we do then? Take up arms? Leave the country? March on Washington DC with loaded guns drawn to TAKE back the White House.

Wasn't the first revolution really just very few people in reality fighting against the Brits? It isn't like 1000s signed the Declaration of Independence. We are the few, we are the knowledgeable elite that DC worries about. We are the revolution. It is up to us to do something about the situation.

BlutStein
08-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Sorry I know folks hate to this about this, but its something to think about. Like I said, he'll get my vote no matter what. I know we should focus on the primaries but I also think it'd be good to get a consenus on what we'll do if that falls through.

I know if he doesn't win the primaries, his odds of winning the white house as a write-in are next to nothing, but it'd still send a powerful message if he still got a million votes (or whatever) and wasn't even on the ballot.

Oh and on the topic of arming ourselves. I love the conviction and purpose we all have here, but I consider that talk to be very serious and a very last resort sort of thing. I pray it never comes down to something like that.