PDA

View Full Version : What is the legal possibility of a Ron Paul independent run?

TheSkeptic
07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm curious, if RP were to announce an independent run very soon, would he be able to get on the ballot in all 50 states? Are there any roadblocks or deadlines that would prevent him from running?

The topic of whether or not he would do this is something else altogether, and a great discussion that has certainly already been had. Just curious about the legal aspect of it - could he run if he wanted to?

PLEASE NOTE: I KNOW what Ron Paul has said about running. Not wanting to discuss that.

yongrel
07-14-2008, 04:52 PM
"I am a Republican, I won 10 times as a Republican. No, I will not run as an Independent."

-Ron Paul

AJ Antimony
07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
I'd imagine it would be a very difficult process.

qh4dotcom
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Too late to get on the ballot now

TheSkeptic
07-14-2008, 05:41 PM
"I am a Republican, I won 10 times as a Republican. No, I will not run as an Independent."

-Ron Paul

Please re-read my OP. Thanks.

qh4dotcom,

As a matter of legality, or practicality?

mport1
07-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Everybody please accept that it is OVER. Move on instead of getting hung up on it and throw your support behind the CFL and/or other candidates.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
The OP'er hasnt been around since Feb., he's out of the loop. Forgive him his May '08 questions.

TheSkeptic
07-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Please re-read the OP. :)

TheSkeptic
07-14-2008, 06:14 PM
The OP'er hasnt been around since Feb., he's out of the loop. Forgive him his May '08 questions.

Yes, because this website is the only place you could hear about Ron Paul during the primaries. Until last week, there weren't 89,000 blogs, and there wasn't newspaper, Internet, and television coverage.

yongrel
07-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Post #2 of this thread makes post #1 irrelevant.

Thank you for your time. That is all.

TheSkeptic
07-14-2008, 06:20 PM
No, it doesn't.

Thank you for wasting my time. That is all.

TheSkeptic
07-14-2008, 06:21 PM
This is a speculative question. If we can discuss the meaning of stickers on mailboxes, there's no reason this can't be discussed. If you disagree, that's fine...just go to another thread.

yongrel
07-14-2008, 06:23 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/192/484333770_d442198950.jpg?v=0

AJ Antimony
07-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Let me rephrase the OP question so the morons can leave this thread:

If today a big name politician decided to run independent for President, would he be able to obtain ballot access in all 50 states? Are there any roadblocks or deadlines that would prevent him from doing so?

No1ButPaul08
07-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Let me rephrase the OP question so the morons can leave this thread:

If today a big name politician decided to run independent for President, would he be able to obtain ballot access in all 50 states? Are there any roadblocks or deadlines that would prevent him from doing so?

For this hypothetical, we need to differentiate from an independent run and a third party run.

If one were to declare an independent run, he/she could not get on the ballot in all 50 states. This person would be off the ballot in at least a third of the states, as their ballot access deadlines have passed.

All of the major third parties (oxymoron?), the Libertarian, Constitution, and Green Parties have nominated candidates. Hypothetically, a major candidate could talk one on these nominated candidates to withdraw their name from the nomination so it opens back up, but I don't see that happening. I mention this because I could see Baldwin or Barr stepping down in favor of Ron, however, as Yongrel points out, Ron's not going to run, so that's just not going to happen. In this case a candidate could get on the ballot in at least 40 states, especially through the Libertarian Party. None of these parties will be on the ballot in OK.

Ballot Access News provides a good overview of how the parties are doing with regard to ballot access, and it also shows the deadlines and numbers needed to get on the ballot for independent and third party candidates. It's a pay service, however, they provide previous issues free of charge.

Here's a link to the June issue (http://www.ballot-access.org/2008/060108.html#10)

TheSkeptic
07-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Excellent resource, thanks.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Yes, because this website is the only place you could hear about Ron Paul during the primaries. Until last week, there weren't 89,000 blogs, and there wasn't newspaper, Internet, and television coverage.

If you know where all the answers are, why are you asking the question?

TheSkeptic
07-14-2008, 07:25 PM
If you know where all the answers are, why are you asking the question?

Please re-read his statement, and my response. It may make more sense to you then.

Feelgood
07-14-2008, 07:33 PM
/thread

AJ Antimony
07-14-2008, 07:40 PM
For this hypothetical, we need to differentiate from an independent run and a third party run.

If one were to declare an independent run, he/she could not get on the ballot in all 50 states. This person would be off the ballot in at least a third of the states, as their ballot access deadlines have passed.

All of the major third parties (oxymoron?), the Libertarian, Constitution, and Green Parties have nominated candidates. Hypothetically, a major candidate could talk one on these nominated candidates to withdraw their name from the nomination so it opens back up, but I don't see that happening. I mention this because I could see Baldwin or Barr stepping down in favor of Ron, however, as Yongrel points out, Ron's not going to run, so that's just not going to happen. In this case a candidate to get on the ballot in at least 40 states, especially through the Libertarian Party. None of these parties will be on the ballot in OK.

Ballot Access News provides a good overview of how the parties are doing with regard to ballot access, and it also shows the deadlines and numbers needed to get on the ballot for independent and third party candidates. It's a pay service, however, they provide previous issues free of charge.

Here's a link to the June issue (http://www.ballot-access.org/2008/060108.html#10)

Very good, thank you!

TheSkeptic
07-14-2008, 07:46 PM
/thread

Agreed. Let's talk about how to make money online quickly and easily.

ScottA
07-14-2008, 11:54 PM
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."