PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean when they say.....?

VegasBoy
07-13-2008, 02:04 PM
What does it mean when they say I will "write-in" Ron Paul's name?

qwertyftc123
07-13-2008, 02:24 PM
you will write his name on the ballot, rather than voting for someone already on it

Alawn
07-13-2008, 02:52 PM
There is an option to write in another name on the ballot if the person's name is not on it. But in most states if the person didn't sign up as an official write in candidate the ballot goes straight in the trash and his number will never be counted. It will be like you never voted. Ron Paul is not signing up as a write in candidate so writing him in means absolutely nothing and is the same as not voting at all. You aren't making a statement because nobody will ever know you did it.

VegasBoy
07-13-2008, 03:18 PM
There is an option to write in another name on the ballot if the person's name is not on it. But in most states if the person didn't sign up as an official write in candidate the ballot goes straight in the trash and his number will never be counted. It will be like you never voted. Ron Paul is not signing up as a write in candidate so writing him in means absolutely nothing and is the same as not voting at all. You aren't making a statement because nobody will ever know you did it.

How do you know Ron Paul will not be a sign in Candidate?

So I will not be able to vote for Ron Paul at all?

Is that it? its over?

Kludge
07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
How do you know Ron Paul will not be a sign in Candidate?

I trust what he says.

So I will not be able to vote for Ron Paul at all?

If you write him in. Many states do not count the vote and for pragmatic purposes, isn't as effective as voting Barr or Baldwin.

Is that it? its over?

www.campaignforliberty.com (http://www.campaignforliberty.com)

There is much work to be done.

Mahkato
07-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Not only does he have to register as a write-in candidate, everyone would also have to write his name on the ballot exactly as he registered, and that would have to be his full legal name. So writing in "Ron Paul" wouldn't count. You'd have to write in "Ronald Earnest Paul". The cards are stacked against write-ins just a bit.

VegasBoy
07-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Then i do not get how he can get the nomination, this is confusing to me.

lasenorita
07-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Then i do not get how he can get the nomination, this is confusing to me.

It's not impossible. Just very improbable. :o

AJ Antimony
07-13-2008, 08:05 PM
People seem to have no clue that you don't vote for a candidate to be president. You actually vote for a slate of electors who cast the real votes in the Electoral College. If a candidate is on the ballot, it means he has a slate of people who will vote for him in the EC. The number of elector is equal to the state's congressional districts +2.

So if someone wanted to truly write in Paul, they'd actually have to write in an entire slate of legit Paul electors.

satchelmcqueen
07-13-2008, 08:45 PM
this is sad.

torchbearer
07-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I thought we supported the constitution here?
The only person authorized by the constitution to vote on a president is an elector at the electoral college.
You are voting on a slate of electors. So a write-in vote is for an elector, not a president.
Write in Ron Paul, and he wins, he "may" get to be a presidential elector if he qualifies for that state as an elector, which usually requires citizenship of that state, and not hold public office.

We should know the process better than most. Please educate yourself before your vote is invalidate due to ignorance of the process.

Write-ins work when you are actually voting on the candidate of that office. Like mayor, governor, etc.
It doesn't work for President. We don't have DIRECT DEMOCRACY in the U.S. You have no right to vote on a presidential candidate. Only their electors.

driller80545
07-13-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm still gonna write in RP. F&%&k em

torchbearer
07-13-2008, 08:50 PM

Might as well say, fuck the constitution and the rule of law.

JMann
07-13-2008, 08:57 PM
that would be the definition of a wasted vote... write in a candidate that isn't even running and in most state don't even count 'write-in' votes.

AJ Antimony
07-13-2008, 08:58 PM

Torch is right. This statement is so fucking ironic since our movement and candidate is supposed to be all about the Constitution, common sense, and intelligence.

If you're going to write in someone, you might as well write in Mickey Mouse. It has the exact same effect as writing in Ron Paul and at the same time it doesn't make the rest of his supporters look like fucking idiots.

driller80545
07-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry, I just have no confidence in the alternatives. I have seen and heard too much bullshit out of politicians over the years. If you want to get behind Barr and Baldwin or whoever, be my guest. I have no confidence that they will change anything. I have been waiting since the sixties for a man of true conviction to come along and finally RP did. I don't see the same conviction anywhere else. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

torchbearer
07-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Sorry, I just have no confidence in the alternatives. I have seen and heard too much bullshit out of politicians over the years. If you want to get behind Barr and Baldwin or whoever, be my guest. I have no confidence that they will change anything. I have been waiting since the sixties for a man of true conviction to come along and finally RP did. I don't see the same conviction anywhere else. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Have you even looked into becoming a Presidential elector in your state?
With Ron's permission I could have easily filed a slate of electors on his behalf in Louisiana for people to vote on, but he did not want that. SO I didn't do it.
In Louisiana, all it would have taken was about $300 to file it with the state and get it on the ballot.
If you really want to vote for Ron, become an elector. Otherwise, it must not mean that much to you.

JMann
07-13-2008, 09:06 PM
I thought we supported the constitution here?
The only person authorized by the constitution to vote on a president is an elector at the electoral college.
You are voting on a slate of electors. So a write-in vote is for an elector, not a president.
Write in Ron Paul, and he wins, he "may" get to be a presidential elector if he qualifies for that state as an elector, which usually requires citizenship of that state, and not hold public office.

We should know the process better than most. Please educate yourself before your vote is invalidate due to ignorance of the process.

Write-ins work when you are actually voting on the candidate of that office. Like mayor, governor, etc.
It doesn't work for President. We don't have DIRECT DEMOCRACY in the U.S. You have no right to vote on a presidential candidate. Only their electors.

For over a year on here I have learned to know you are a great thinker. States are pretty much winner take all so it only matters who wins a state not how many votes someone gets.

This was a stroke of genius of the founders. If we hate that candidates only campaign in a few states now if the system was controlled by popular vote there would only be a few states that ever saw the candidates and that would only be in the major urban centers. Why would you care about New Mexico or any industries in the state when there are more people in Brooklyn than the entire state of NM? Our country would be governed by a tiny majority that lives in NY City, Chicago, LA. You think the little people were not represented today just let the popular vote take over the electoral college. Not to mention the only reason the small states agreed to the Union was because of the electoral college. I know that this is difficult for the Algore/Pat Buchanan voters in Florida to understand but you are the very reason why popular vote doesn't rule the day

driller80545
07-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Because of old skeletons in my closet, best for me to lay low. I became cynical during the vietnam bullshit and have never seen a reason to hope of honesty in government until RP. I alienated myself from family and friends years ago over this catastrophe and am worn out. RP was my last attempt and I knew that it was a longshot when I decided to get involved. I see the things you are doing, Torch, and the rest of you, and I am impressed and respect you for it. I hope that you don't end up as burned out as I am.

torchbearer
07-13-2008, 09:16 PM
For over a year on here I have learned to know you are a great thinker. States are pretty much winner take all so it only matters who wins a state not how many votes someone gets.

This was a stroke of genius of the founders. If we hate that candidates only campaign in a few states now if the system was controlled by popular vote there would only be a few states that ever saw the candidates and that would only be in the major urban centers. Why would you care about New Mexico or any industries in the state when there are more people in Brooklyn than the entire state of NM? Our country would be governed by a tiny majority that lives in NY City, Chicago, LA. You think the little people were not represented today just let the popular vote take over the electoral college. Not to mention the only reason the small states agreed to the Union was because of the electoral college. I know that this is difficult for the Algore/Pat Buchanan voters in Florida to understand but you are the very reason why popular vote doesn't rule the day

If only I had that much power... but thanks for the compliment.
To prevent mob rule, our founders thought a republic with an indirect democracy would be safer in protecting minorities. IE, the land owners from a communist democratic take over.
I'd hate to lose my home by a popular vote. How about you?

driller80545
07-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I feel that I already have. Through property taxes

torchbearer
07-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Because of old skeletons in my closet, best for me to lay low. I became cynical during the vietnam bullshit and have never seen a reason to hope of honesty in government until RP. I alienated myself from family and friends years ago over this catastrophe and am worn out. RP was my last attempt and I knew that it was a longshot when I decided to get involved. I see the things you are doing, Torch, and the rest of you, and I am impressed and respect you for it. I hope that you don't end up as burned out as I am.

You have a place in my heart, in my 12 years of active involvement in the LP, many of my close friends have gone down that same road of apathy as you... and for good reasons. I don't blame them at all.
I appreciate your revival for Paul, but if anything, if you can learn to trust that i'm not asking you to do something against your best interest, and take what I say, not as a dictate, but as one brother caring for another... we will not lose this battle as long as we don't quit. Barr making a dent this year, will open doors for a Paul 2012.

And for those who say he will be too old, Gravel was 76 this year and ran for president without complications in health etc. We can do this... in 12 years with the LP, i've never seen so many people awake to what is going on... and trust, they won't forget.

Just take some time to think about what I say... that is all I ask.

torchbearer
07-13-2008, 09:25 PM
I feel that I already have. Through property taxes

True. Another thing we are fighting against. Property Taxes makes you a serf to that government. It gives them ultimate right over 'your' property because if you don't pay the "king's taxes" he will take your lot from you and give it to another serf who will....
Getting the majority to understand this very simple concept is possible. That is why I will not quit. They will have to kill me before I stop.
To quit, is what our enemies want. Their lies can't go on forever. There will be a day of reckoning... and on that day, you will have your revenge for the enslavement you've been forced into by this "democracy".
Just don't participate in that mindset by disregarding our Constitution. It is the guidelines that will put this country back on track.

driller80545
07-13-2008, 09:27 PM
You have a place in my heart, in my 12 years of active involvement in the LP, many of my close friends have gone down that same road of apathy as you... and for good reasons. I don't blame them at all.
I appreciate your revival for Paul, but if anything, if you can learn to trust that i'm not asking you to do something against your best interest, and take what I say, not as a dictate, but as one brother caring for another... we will not lose this battle as long as we don't quite. Barr making a dent this year, will open doors for a Paul 2012.

And for those who say he will be too old, Gravel was 76 this year and ran for president without complications in health etc. We can do this... in 12 years, i've never seen so many people awake to what is going on... and trust, they won't forget.

Just take some time to think about what I say... that is all I ask.

I know that you are right. I feed off of the energy. I apologize. Just tired tonight and discouraged. Tomorrow I will fight some more.