PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Convention Update: 1 Delegate + 7 Alternates

Dave
07-12-2008, 07:06 PM
The flood-delayed Iowa State Republican Convention was finally held last night and today.

We had a great turnout of our delegates and many of us ran for National Delegate/Alternate. Ron Paul Republicans ultimately won 1 Delegate and 7 Alternates to the National Convention. I am one of the Alternates (all Alternates attend the convention, they just don't get the thrill of voting for McCain).

I think most of us were very happy with this outcome. Some excellent people didn't make it through the process but we have an outstanding group going to St. Paul (and MPLS, of course). I'm looking forward to having a great team of Ron Paul ambassadors accompany our delegation to National. We'll get some great experience and build some friendships - and help others understand what we're all about and why we're so passionate.

No bridges were burned here and we seem to be building good working relationships with much of the GOP 'brass' in Iowa and much of the delegation. Several Ron Paul-flavored planks were successfully added to the State Platform.

Hats off to all the Iowa Ron Paul Republicans for a successful weekend!

tomveil
07-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Congrats! That's great news from Iowa :)

SnappleLlama
07-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Awesome job, Iowans!! :)

AJ Antimony
07-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Not too bad!

devil21
07-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Was RP supposed to get any delegates according the outcome of the state's primary or is the 1+7 a pleasant surprise?

No1ButPaul08
07-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Was RP supposed to get any delegates according the outcome of the state's primary or is the 1+7 a pleasant surprise?

After the caucus it was estimated RP would get 4 delegates. If it's true we only got 1 delegate then it would seem like it's a disappointing result.

Dave
07-12-2008, 08:12 PM

No Iowa delegates are awarded based on the caucus results so it's great that we have any representation at all.

Back in January Huckabee won big in Iowa and I'd say most of the delegates today were in his camp. He spoke at our convention today and is clearly campaigning for 2012.

devil21
07-12-2008, 08:13 PM
No Iowa delegates are awarded based on the caucus results so it's great that we have any representation at all.

Back in January Huckabee won big in Iowa and I'd say most of the delegates today were in his camp. He spoke at our convention today and is clearly campaigning for 2012.

Oh yeah duh...the caucus. Jesus that feels like forever ago! lol

Dave
07-12-2008, 08:18 PM
After the caucus it was estimated RP would get 4 delegates. If it's true we only got 1 delegate then it would seem like it's a disappointing result.

Those silly estimates are derived by simply taking Iowa's 37 delegates times the 10% of the votes RP scored on caucus night. The election of delegates, however, has nothing to do with caucus results. The Huckabee crowd had the strength to claim every single one of Iowa's delegates but it didn't happen.

Besides, the caucuses were so long ago (and there were a LOT of candidates back then) that most Iowans are done thinking of themselves as Thompson delegates, Romney delegates, etc. Only us RP's are passionate enough to think of ourselves this way and keep score like this.:D

Besides, RPs coincidentally do make up just over 10% of the total Iowa delegation - it's just that most of us are alternates. We were fine with this since there would be no opportunity to vote for RP. In fact, we specifically targeted the Alternate elections since we knew we would be more likely to win these. The whole goal was to send ambassadors for Ron Paul to St. Paul to legitimize our issues and build relationships and skills as a foundation for the future.

madRazor
07-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Even if you can't vote, will you still be heard from on the floor? Like booing heartily?

No1ButPaul08
07-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Those silly estimates are derived by simply taking Iowa's 37 delegates times the 10% of the votes RP scored on caucus night. The election of delegates, however, has nothing to do with caucus results. The Huckabee crowd had the strength to claim every single one of Iowa's delegates but it didn't happen.

Besides, the caucuses were so long ago (and there were a LOT of candidates back then) that most Iowans are done thinking of themselves as Thompson delegates, Romney delegates, etc. Only us RP's are passionate enough to think of ourselves this way and keep score like this.:D

Besides, RPs coincidentally do make up just over 10% of the total Iowa delegation - it's just that most of us are alternates. We were fine with this since there would be no opportunity to vote for RP. In fact, we specifically targeted the Alternate elections since we knew we would be more likely to win these. The whole goal was to send ambassadors for Ron Paul to St. Paul to legitimize our issues and build relationships and skills as a foundation for the future.

Good summary, thanks.

powerofreason
07-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Even if you can't vote, will you still be heard from on the floor? Like booing heartily?

"Booing heartily" rofl

RockEnds
07-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Glad to hear you got some through. Good luck at the convention.

Dave
07-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Glad to hear you got some through. Good luck at the convention.

Thanks! I hope to see you in MPLS on Sept 1 and 2.

Dave
07-12-2008, 09:45 PM
I forgot one of the best parts!

One of Iowa's best RP Republicans (also a National Alternate) paid to set up a table for the Republican Liberty Caucus / Campaign For Liberty. There were brochures from the RLC and 200 copies of the The Revolution: A Manifesto were given away to anyone who signed up for CFL and agreed to pass the book on to someone else when they were done with it. They went FAST! People were still signing up for CFL after the books were gone.

RP delegates took turns manning the table. Some great RP's made a bunch of hi-quality banners and signs advertising CFL and TR:AM. One must have been 4' by 15' right by the main door!

RockEnds
07-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks! I hope to see you in MPLS on Sept 1 and 2.

I'm planning to go. As long as everyone here stays healthy, I'll be there.

RockEnds
07-12-2008, 10:03 PM
I forgot one of the best parts!

One of Iowa's best RP Republicans (also a National Alternate) paid to set up a table for the Republican Liberty Caucus / Campaign For Liberty. There were brochures from the RLC and 200 copies of the The Revolution: A Manifesto were given away to anyone who signed up for CFL and agreed to pass the book on to someone else when they were done with it. They went FAST! People were still signing up for CFL after the books were gone.

RP delegates took turns manning the table. Some great RP's made a bunch of hi-quality banners and signs advertising CFL and TR:AM. One must have been 4' by 15' right by the main door!

That's great news. I've had several people that I KNOW caucused for Huckabee tell me how much they like Ron Paul and hope he will still run this year. :rolleyes:

Edit: On the one hand, it's a little frustrating, but on the other hand, it's good to know people were paying attention and the campaign left a good impression on them--even if they did vote for some other guy!!