PDA

View Full Version : Hacking traffic cam with a sharpie

Matt Collins
07-11-2008, 04:46 PM
A 44-year-old Arizona man allegedly tried to fool the photo radars that record a vehicle's speed. It worked for a while — until the police caught up with him. Timothy Welsh allegedly used a permanent marker to change both the 3 and the 9 on his license plate to an 8, so when his vehicle got nabbed for speeding, the ticket was sent to someone else. At first, Scottsdale Sgt. Jim Butera thought it was a mistake when a Phoenix man called him complaining he had gotten two speeding tickets mailed to him, but he wasn't the one speeding. When Butera looked at the photo and saw the man making an obscene gesture at the camera he thought, "[we] need to do some more investigating."

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380146,00.html

orafi
07-11-2008, 05:40 PM
speeding tickets are lame

constituent
07-11-2008, 05:47 PM
lol, just did a fix on my state inspection... this isn't some sort of bad omen is it?

Andrew-Austin
07-11-2008, 05:49 PM
speeding tickets are lame

Yep..

Anti Federalist
07-11-2008, 06:36 PM
http://www.photoblocker.com/images/PS_mainproduct.gif

http://www.photoblocker.com/photoshield.html

http://www.photoblocker.com/images/xmas_pb_anim.gif

http://www.photoblocker.com/

amy31416
07-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Anyone actually tried that photoblocker stuff?

Anti Federalist
07-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Yep.

It works. At least on flash cams it does. For the best overall coverage, use the photo shield.

Matt Collins
07-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Ha ha ha... the word flash must've triggered a Google context ad... the one currently on this page says "love button - push me hard"

But anyway, don't a lot of states make it illegal to cover your car tag with any sort of plastic enclosure?

amy31416
07-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Ha ha ha... the word flash must've triggered a Google context ad... the one currently on this page says "love button - push me hard"

But anyway, don't a lot of states make it illegal to cover your car tag with any sort of plastic enclosure?

I'm sure they do, but the photoblocker stuff is spray-on, I don't know if you can easily tell whether or not it's had the treatment.

I'll have to do a search and see what's in it.

RideTheDirt
07-11-2008, 09:31 PM
I heard those do not work for shit. A buddy of mine got a ticket with that stupid spray on shit. Cameras that catch people speeding?! That is going way too far.

ItsTime
07-11-2008, 09:33 PM
why not just cover the plate with that stuff they use on computer screens so you cant see the screen from the side?

Knightskye
07-11-2008, 09:35 PM

I've seen a couple on cars in the parking lot where I work. Makes me wish I had a screwdriver handy. :D

muh_roads
07-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Too lazy to catch speeders on their own now? What a joke.

Cops are only around to keep the honest people honest.

Anti Federalist
07-11-2008, 10:35 PM
why not just cover the plate with that stuff they use on computer screens so you cant see the screen from the side?

That's exactly what the plate shields are.

Cut one to license plate size and viola'.

Me, I just make sure the ones on my truck stay covered in mud or snow as the season allows.

roshie
07-11-2008, 10:42 PM

Well that's a design flaw of how computer screens work haha. Plates.. don't have liquid crystals running around..

Zippyjuan
07-12-2008, 10:45 AM
If you do not like speeding tickets there is a very simple solution. Don't speed.

Bruno
07-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I heard those do not work for shit. A buddy of mine got a ticket with that stupid spray on shit. Cameras that catch people speeding?! That is going way too far.

MythBusters did a segment on those and didn't find any that worked.

newyearsrevolution08
07-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I watched mythbusters and they tested everyone of those "pic blockers" from sprays to covers to other bs and NONE of them worked at all. Not sure if anyone can locate that episode and post it BUT according to them and watching the tests they are all bullshit..

newyearsrevolution08
07-12-2008, 10:52 AM
MythBusters did a segment on those and didn't find any that worked.

same thought process I suppose lol. I wrote mine and sure enough right above me is someone who typed it out faster lol....

I will try and locate the episode if possible as well.

Knightskye
07-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I watched mythbusters and they tested everyone of those "pic blockers" from sprays to covers to other bs and NONE of them worked at all. Not sure if anyone can locate that episode and post it BUT according to them and watching the tests they are all bullshit..

I found a clip of the end of that episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJh3tOiDq8w

The narrator says the photo block stuff failed. They did find one thing that worked (I'll let you guys watch to find out - I don't want to ruin it). :)

amy31416
07-12-2008, 11:06 PM
It's here somewhere, I suspect: http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/television/Mythbusters.html

EvilEngineer
07-13-2008, 01:35 AM
If you do not like speeding tickets there is a very simple solution. Don't speed.

exactly.

In Texas it is illegal to have anything obstructing the view of your plate, including these spray on shields and polarized screens. Best solution to beat these cameras and cops, is to not speed. There really is no reason to either nothing is that important. With gas prices the way there are, hell i've slowed down to 60-65 in 70s because I get better gas millage this way.

Matt Collins
07-13-2008, 01:41 AM
With gas prices the way there are, hell i've slowed down to 60-65 in 70s because I get better gas millage this way.Yeah... I am the original speed demon, but I've slowed down too because it's too damn expensive to go 90+ anymore :(

Anti Federalist
07-13-2008, 01:53 AM
exactly.

In Texas it is illegal to have anything obstructing the view of your plate, including these spray on shields and polarized screens. Best solution to beat these cameras and cops, is to not speed. There really is no reason to either nothing is that important. With gas prices the way there are, hell i've slowed down to 60-65 in 70s because I get better gas millage this way.

I'm not surprised, what isn't illegal in Texas anymore?

Gettin' as bad as New Jersey and Illinois.

And yes, that's always the best way to fight encroachments on liberty, just comply. You've got nothing to hide, right?:rolleyes:

EvilEngineer
07-13-2008, 02:13 AM
I'm not surprised, what isn't illegal in Texas anymore?

Gettin' as bad as New Jersey and Illinois.

And yes, that's always the best way to fight encroachments on liberty, just comply. You've got nothing to hide, right?:rolleyes:

Getting caught speeding, be it by cop or camera is not an encroachment of liberty. Speeding is against the law, therefore, don't break the law...

The cameras at least don't make you wait 30 minutes to pull you over and give you a ticket.

My biggest reason for not speeding or being an ass on the road anymore though, aside from gas prices, is the big "Ron Paul Revolution" sign I have pained on my rear window. With it up there, I hold my self to a higher standard and lead by example, by not breaking the law.

Anti Federalist
07-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Getting caught speeding, be it by cop or camera is not an encroachment of liberty. Speeding is against the law, therefore, don't break the law...

The cameras at least don't make you wait 30 minutes to pull you over and give you a ticket.

My biggest reason for not speeding or being an ass on the road anymore though, aside from gas prices, is the big "Ron Paul Revolution" sign I have pained on my rear window. With it up there, I hold my self to a higher standard and lead by example, by not breaking the law.

Hmm, many states have laws against fellatio, I suppose a police camera in the bedroom might be in order to catch all those lawbreakers.

No problem getting all those married ladies to comply with that, either.:rolleyes:

I'm being silly, but you get my point.

And driving courteously with Ron Paul stuff all over your vehicle is a smart move, no doubt, I do the same thing myself.

Although I do find myself a target of neocon road rage from time to time.

CurtisLow
07-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Although I do find myself a target of neocon road rage from time to time.

Me too

Anti Federalist
07-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Me too

Actually it's Mrs. Anti that gets the brunt of it.

But I've been flipped off more than once.

LibertyOfOne
07-13-2008, 04:49 PM

It impedes on your property rights. Owning slaves use to be enforced by the law. Just because something is the law does not give is automatic validity. There is no crime being committed because there is no victim. Speeding laws can't even fulfill the basic definition of a real crime.

"Speeding is against the law, therefore, don't break the law" Circular reasoning. Please show who is the victim when such a "crime" is committed.

belian78
07-14-2008, 07:06 AM

MythBusters tried that, and a few other things, none of which worked. Unless MythBusters is Gov propaganda that is. :D

tekrunner
07-14-2008, 03:34 PM
It impedes on your property rights. Owning slaves use to be enforced by the law. Just because something is the law does not give is automatic validity. There is no crime being committed because there is no victim. Speeding laws can't even fulfill the basic definition of a real crime.

"Speeding is against the law, therefore, don't break the law" Circular reasoning. Please show who is the victim when such a "crime" is committed.

+1

latkinson6
07-14-2008, 03:41 PM
I got a ticket for my ballhitch obstructing my plate.
stupid, since the vehicle was designed that way
and I drove it off new the lot like that.

EvilEngineer
07-14-2008, 11:29 PM

That is under the assumption however that driving is a "right", it is not, it is a privilege. The government lets you get a license to drive, under the pretense that you follow the laws of the road that they set. Violate them, and pay a penalty. Same thing with a home owners association... move into an area with one, and has stipulations on your deed, and try and not mow your lawn with out getting fined.

ewizacft
07-15-2008, 12:16 PM
That is under the assumption however that driving is a "right", it is not, it is a privilege. The government lets you get a license to drive, under the pretense that you follow the laws of the road that they set. Violate them, and pay a penalty. Same thing with a home owners association... move into an area with one, and has stipulations on your deed, and try and not mow your lawn with out getting fined.

Traveling in your property is a right. "Driving" is a privilege. If you pay fines for things you do on your property, then it is a safe bet that you do not own your property.

bander87
07-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Just go faster, they won't catch you.

MRoCkEd
07-20-2008, 08:21 AM
one of these things snapped a picture at me the other day
38 in a 25