Manassas, Virginia 20110
After 6 PM Eastern time
and on weekends & holidays, contact
Vi Shields (703) 906-6542 or
Bob Sturm (703) 307-8176

FOR RELEASE July 11, 2008

Richard Viguerie:
Conservatives Deeply Depressed Over McCain Campaign

(Las Vegas, Nevada) Conservatives are so depressed over the state of the McCain campaign--particularly its failure to include and enthuse the Republican base--that they are preparing themselves for a monumental GOP defeat in November, Richard A. Viguerie, Chairman of ConservativeHQ.com, said in a speech to FreedomFest.

“You even have some conservatives who are considering voting for Barack Obama, because they fear McCain as president would destroy what’s left of the Republican brand and would finish off the conservative movement,” said Viguerie. “Their mood is that of the fatally ill patient who says ‘Let’s get this over with’.”

“John McCain has had the Republican nomination sewn up for five months and has done little to convince conservatives they should come off the sidelines and fight for him,” he said.

Viguerie said, “Personnel is policy and if Senator McCain won’t surround himself with conservatives during this campaign, when he desperately needs them, why should we think that he will have conservatives making critical decisions in his administration?”

“Senator McCain has never been a conservative, is not one now, and will not govern as one. From McCain-Feingold to cap-and-trade, he is a supporter of one Big Government scheme after another. History shows that, in the Oval Office, where almost all the political pressure comes from supporters of Big Government, he would only get worse.”

Viguerie has also called for the resignation of the Republican leadership in Congress.

“After this year’s expected blood bath in the November elections, the voters will bring about a massive housecleaning of GOP leaders in favor of principled conservatives,” he said.

Freedom Fest, at which Viguerie spoke, is a gathering of prominent advocates for free markets. Other speakers this year include Steve Forbes, George Gilder, Bob Barr, Dinesh D’Souza, Christopher Hitchens, and Congressman Ron Paul.
--30--

NOTE TO EDITORS:Richard A. Viguerie pioneered political direct mail and has been called “one of the creators of the modern conservative movement” (The Nation magazine) and one of the “conservatives of the century” (The Washington Times). His latest book is Conservatives Betrayed: How George W. Bush and Other Big-Government Republicans Hijacked the Conservative Cause (Bonus Books), which, Jerome Corsi wrote in WorldNetDaily, is "destined to become a classic of conservative thinking" and "may be the most important conservative book written in the last quarter century."

Sandra
07-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Bob Barr should drop Viguerie.

orafi
07-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Let those idiots be depressed. THey had a chance.

SnappleLlama
07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
w00t! I was a Steve Forbes fan waaay back in the day.... :)

tonesforjonesbones
07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Why should Bob Barr drop him? tones

Andrew-Austin
07-11-2008, 02:40 PM
“You even have some conservatives who are considering voting for Barack Obama, because they fear McCain as president would destroy what’s left of the Republican brand and would finish off the conservative movement,” said Viguerie. “Their mood is that of the fatally ill patient who says ‘Let’s get this over with’.”

I actually don't want the Republican party to be completely crushed... Just most of its energy transferred to a uncompromising Libertarian party.

If only the aforementioned voters would realize voting for Barr is more constructive then voting for Obama...

Sandra
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Viguerie + Neocon agenda. Confusing as to why Barr is working with him. he sent out emails to Ron Paul supporters saying Woody Jenkins was a Ron Paul Republican. He's NOT!

armstrong
07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
mr. Richard Viguerie I thought at one time was a really nice person oh about 35 plus years ago

Bprimbs
07-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Viguerie came out for Ron Paul in Feb of 2007 when barely anybody was paying attention to Ron Paul at CPAC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxIg3tgryKM

eok321
07-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Screw Viguerie, he only wanted Ron Pauls campaign $$$.

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2008/05/paul-fundraising-director-viguerie-offered-endorsement-for-huge-cut-of-campaign-funds/

The former fundraising director of the Ron Paul Presidential Campaign Committee, Jonathan Bydlak, says that Richard Viguerie sought to sell his services to Paul in exchange for a “huge cut” of Paul’s prodigious campaign cash.

While I was not involved directly in the discussions and don’t remember the exact terms of the deal, Richard Viguerie offered to “help” the Ron Paul campaign similarly to how he is “helping” Bob Barr. For a huge cut of the money he raised; Viguerie was willing to support Ron Paul. We did not accept what amounted to an absurd offer, and likewise — despite all the talk of Mr. Viguerie’s “conservative credentials” — he did not endorse Ron Paul for president.

In reference to Viguerie’s “Ultimate Ron Paul” Web site, Bydlak cites Paul’s campaign manager Lew Moore:

[Viguerie] has never supported this campaign, he has certainly not been a part of our campaign this cycle. He one time approached our campaign to raise money for us, for a large amount of money. But we didn’t need the services of a very high priced beltway insider, and that is what Mr. Viguerie is.

I caution your listeners that when you register on that website he’s going to take your name and do things like this with it.

familydog
07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Haha Steve Forbes. I almost bought his flat tax book until Ron Paul showed me a better option. :D

I'm curious to see if the Republican Party will really dump McCain. He won't win without the base and he is doing a poor job at beguiling them so far.

New York For Paul
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2008/05/paul-fundraising-director-viguerie-offered-endorsement-for-huge-cut-of-campaign-funds/

The former fundraising director of the Ron Paul Presidential Campaign Committee, Jonathan Bydlak, says that Richard Viguerie sought to sell his services to Paul in exchange for a “huge cut” of Paul’s prodigious campaign cash.

While I was not involved directly in the discussions and don’t remember the exact terms of the deal, Richard Viguerie offered to “help” the Ron Paul campaign similarly to how he is “helping” Bob Barr. For a huge cut of the money he raised; Viguerie was willing to support Ron Paul. We did not accept what amounted to an absurd offer, and likewise — despite all the talk of Mr. Viguerie’s “conservative credentials” — he did not endorse Ron Paul for president.

In reference to Viguerie’s “Ultimate Ron Paul” Web site, Bydlak cites Paul’s campaign manager Lew Moore:

[Viguerie] has never supported this campaign, he has certainly not been a part of our campaign this cycle. He one time approached our campaign to raise money for us, for a large amount of money. But we didn’t need the services of a very high priced beltway insider, and that is what Mr. Viguerie is.

I caution your listeners that when you register on that website he’s going to take your name and do things like this with it.

I certainly cannot vouch for Mr. Viguerie's business practices. But all the paid staff on the Ron Paul campaign did sell their campaign services for cash for either small amounts or large amounts.

Mr. Viguerie had direct mail lists of very old conservatives who do not donate via the internet which could have augmented the campaign. Maybe he is good maybe he isn't. But professionals usually work for money and great professional can demand great amounts of money. What ultimately counts are results.

But the official campaign should be ones to talk. Maybe they did need the help of more beltway insiders to help the campaign. Heck Lou Moore worked on Capitol Hill, so doesn't that make him a beltway insider.

Here is a political bio of Lou Moore.

Previously director of the Northwest Straits Commission (as chief of staff of to U.S. Rep. Jack Metcalf (WA-2), he was the co-facilitator of the bipartisan Murray-Metcalf panel that created the Commission). Moore considered making a run for the seat opened by by Rep. Metcalf's retirement in 2000 but decided against it in mid-1999; instead he ran for Snohomish County Executive; after winning the Sept. 1999 primary, he lost in the Nov. general election to the incumbent. Chief of staff to Rep. Metcalf, after starting as district director to Metcalf in Jan. 1995 (Metcalf did not seek re-election in 2000). Bachelor's and master's degrees in history from Western Washington University. From Everett, Washington.

Conclusion. Many on the campaign acted too noble while taking money at the same time from the campaign.

Those who are too, too noble- and who let you know about it-are on ego trips.

RevolutionSD
07-15-2008, 03:33 PM
w00t! I was a Steve Forbes fan waaay back in the day.... :)

Forbes was part of the PNAC and is a NWO a-hole.

RevolutionSD
07-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Haha Steve Forbes. I almost bought his flat tax book until Ron Paul showed me a better option. :D

I'm curious to see if the Republican Party will really dump McCain. He won't win without the base and he is doing a poor job at beguiling them so far.

Exactly.
McCain lost the libertarian wing of the republican party, the conservative wing, and even a lot of the evangelical wing. Stick a fork in him.

Me, I'll be staying home in November, thank you very much.
This country needs to move beyond the idea of government altogether, instead of waiting for a libertarian to come riding in on a white horse to "save" us.

New York For Paul
07-15-2008, 10:58 PM

Viguerie didn't have to give Ron Paul the time of day back then. Viguerie could have said he supported the much wealthier candidates at the time. Romney, McCain, Thompson, Rudy and many other candidate had a higher profile name than Ron Paul and offered potentially a bigger payday than the small Ron Paul campaign which at that time had barely raised any money and was considerred a long shot campaign.

Any of those 1st tier candidates would have love to have bought off Viguerie and get him in their camp as they were trying to woo conservatives.

Even 2nd tier candidates would have loved to have had Viguerie in their camp.

A bad business deal is in the eye of the beholder. I would like to see what the terms of the deal were.

Ron Paul actually had a reputation for years as not being very efficient with direct mail fundraising. Others have critiqued that part of his operation and have offerred to work for Dr. Paul.

While fundraising could have been better, i.e. the campaign could have used an extra thirty or sixty million, the bigger problem of the campaign was how the money was spent on voter education and mobilization.

While Viguerie has had some noted failures, he has had many fundraising successes and has been around since the sixties doing fundraising.

It could be that Ron Paul needed Viguerie more than Viguerie needed Ron Paul.