PDA

View Full Version : How can we get 3rd party candidates into the debates?

RonPaulCult
07-11-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm coming here with this because I worked with you all over the past year and I've seen what the Ron Paul community can do.

I'm just one guy and I don't have the power to make the change I want to see.

But I'm sitting here today so upset because our country is about to go to war with Iran. And Obama and McCain are all for it.

And I know one of them will be president. I'm not stupid. I just want to see one thing happen. I want SOMEBODY in those debates calling them on it. I don't care if it's Bobb Barr, Ralph Nader, or Chuck Baldwin (all of whom I have issues with) or other candidates. I'd love it if all of them were there. We know that won't happen.

I just want ideas from all of you that may agree with me what we can do to make this happen. Just remember our shared candidate, Ron Paul, being excluded from certain debates and forums. It's unamerican, it's unfair and when other candidates that we may or may not support get the same treatment I think this community should rise to their rescue.

Let's consider who runs the debates these days (from wiki):

"The Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) was established in 1987 by the Democratic and Republican parties to establish the way that debates between candidates for President of the United States are run. The Commission is a private entity, funded entirely by corporate contributions."

The CPD has said that any 3rd party candidate that is polling at 15% can be in.

My question to you - if you're still reading - is what can we do to get somebody on the outside in? Is there anything we can do to make them change the rules? Is there anything we can do to encourage people to tell pollsters a 3rd party candidate even if that's not who they really intend to vote for?

I don't know - I need ideas. A website? A movement? Come on guys - this is the home of money bombs and blimps. We need some sort of action.

But again I'm just one guy and I can't do it alone...

acptulsa
07-11-2008, 08:36 AM
A militia platoon and a really big crowbar.

j/k

Imperfect as they were, I do miss the D.A.R.

Well, we have to drum up a demand for it, somehow. The more these idiots flip flop and irritate people, the more likely we are to succeed. But you know McCain will fight it tooth and nail.

Actually, since McCain is afraid of debates and insists on town hall meetings, maybe we could just sneak them in...

amy31416
07-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Accch! I thought it was 10% to get a third party in. I'd definitely try to get Barr in if there's any possibility of him getting to debate on this and other issues.

Kludge
07-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Accch! I thought it was 10% to get a third party in. I'd definitely try to get Barr in if there's any possibility of him getting to debate on this and other issues.

Google will be hosting a debate too IIRC, and they only require 10% in 3 nat'l polls.

RonPaulCult
07-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Google will be hosting a debate too IIRC, and they only require 10% in 3 nat'l polls.

They wish to host a debate but nobody has accepted as of yet. The chances of them accepting if they know they have to debate a 3rd party - I'd say 0%

acptulsa
07-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Anyone see Head of State? If we can convince enough people McCain's chicken, the psycho will do anything to refute it...

RonPaulFanInGA
07-11-2008, 09:03 AM
You must be polling 15% to get into the "real" presidential debates. That's why only Ross Perot is the only third party or independent candidate to get in recently.

Maybe Barr gets 15%. I doubt it though. No one else (Nader, Baldwin, whatever loser the green party runs) stands any shot.

Paul should have ran. I bet he'd would have gotten into these debates.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-11-2008, 09:05 AM
But you know McCain will fight it tooth and nail.

Actually, since McCain is afraid of debates and insists on town hall meetings, maybe we could just sneak them in...

It ain't just McCain. Obama doesn't want to see any third party candidates in the debates either.

It's like they're in cahoots.

Kludge
07-11-2008, 09:07 AM
It ain't just McCain. Obama doesn't want to see any third party candidates in the debates either.

I haven't heard any talk of Obama in MSM since the AIPAC incident...

SnappleLlama
07-11-2008, 09:09 AM
We need a debate moderated by Ron Paul that has Obama, McCain, Barr, and Baldwin on stage. Fireworks, people...fireworks!

acptulsa
07-11-2008, 09:09 AM

Been that way forever. You've often seen Cokes in Pepsi ads and vice versa, but when was the last time you saw either show a can of Royal Crown? They've both decided that its a boon to them both to ignore anyone else in the hopes that consumers will consider them a non-choice--sort of a kook's special. Ford Trucks and Chevy Trucks did that to Dodge for a while in the late eighties and early nineties, until Dodge Trucks restyled and shoved it down their throats.

Oh, they're in cahoots, all right. Count on it.

Matt Collins
07-11-2008, 11:23 AM
How can we get 3rd party candidates into the debates? Simple... read my signature!:D

JosephTheLibertarian
07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm coming here with this because I worked with you all over the past year and I've seen what the Ron Paul community can do.

I'm just one guy and I don't have the power to make the change I want to see.

But I'm sitting here today so upset because our country is about to go to war with Iran. And Obama and McCain are all for it.

And I know one of them will be president. I'm not stupid. I just want to see one thing happen. I want SOMEBODY in those debates calling them on it. I don't care if it's Bobb Barr, Ralph Nader, or Chuck Baldwin (all of whom I have issues with) or other candidates. I'd love it if all of them were there. We know that won't happen.

I just want ideas from all of you that may agree with me what we can do to make this happen. Just remember our shared candidate, Ron Paul, being excluded from certain debates and forums. It's unamerican, it's unfair and when other candidates that we may or may not support get the same treatment I think this community should rise to their rescue.

Let's consider who runs the debates these days (from wiki):

"The Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) was established in 1987 by the Democratic and Republican parties to establish the way that debates between candidates for President of the United States are run. The Commission is a private entity, funded entirely by corporate contributions."

My question to you - if you're still reading - is what can we do to get somebody on the outside in? Is there anything we can do to make them change the rules? Is there anything we can do to encourage people to tell pollsters a 3rd party candidate even if that's not who they really intend to vote for?

I don't know - I need ideas. A website? A movement? Come on guys - this is the home of money bombs and blimps. We need some sort of action.

But again I'm just one guy and I can't do it alone...

Why "third parties"? Why not just get Bob Barr and te LP in the debates? Chuck has no shot, I'm sorry, but some people here need to realize this as fact. I thought I read that it's 10%? Or is that only for the youtube debates?

We need a debate moderated by Ron Paul that has Obama, McCain, Barr, and Baldwin on stage. Fireworks, people...fireworks!

I would very much like that, but it still wouldn't change the fact that I'm a....barrhead :)

mport1
07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
The two major parties control the debates. No way a third party will get in after Perot's solid performances in the past. Even if one did, they would treat them worse than Ron Paul.

AJ Antimony
07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Well, this election year is the year to see it happen. Look at the poll that showed Barr at 6% nationally. Look at the states in that poll--so few of them showed 50%+ for a candidate.

If any candidate gets in, it will be Barr. He's currently at 6% and hasn't started campaigning yet. He has been making tons of media appearances. His liberty message isn't as "radical" as Paul's and thus can attract more people to the tent.

RonPaulCult
07-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Why "third parties"? Why not just get Bob Barr and te LP in the debates? Chuck has no shot, I'm sorry, but some people here need to realize this as fact. I thought I read that it's 10%? Or is that only for the youtube debates?

It's 15% for the debates except for the google debate which may or may not happen.

Look maybe we should focus on Barr only if it's true he has the best shot. But I will say again as Ron Paul supporters we should come to the defense of all candidates wanting to debate.

mport1
07-11-2008, 12:18 PM
His liberty message isn't as "radical" as Paul's and thus can attract more people to the tent.

Unfortunately this is also his drawback as he isn't able to attract most of the liberty movement.

No1ButPaul08
07-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Most people feel that Bob Barr's candidacy can only hurt McCain and help Obama. Therefore, theoretically, it would be beneficial to Obama and his supporters if Bob Barr reached 10% and got into the debate. Is there any way to get Obama supporters to answer Bob Barr when polled to help Barr into the debates therefore helping Obama and Barr?

acptulsa
07-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Is there any way to get Obama supporters to answer Bob Barr when polled to help Barr into the debates therefore helping Obama and Barr?

Play one off against the other, eh? Smart. Obama won't of his own accord, but his supporters could force the hand. After all, he can't just up and tell them he's blatantly trying to limit their choices...

RonPaulCult
07-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Play one off against the other, eh? Smart. Obama won't of his own accord, but his supporters could force the hand. After all, he can't just up and tell them he's blatantly trying to limit their choices...

I like this thinking. Why not join forces with the Obama people if it helps us.

I will say it again - we Ron Paul people are able to do so much if we get serious. Just because our man isn't running doesn't mean we should be sitting back doing nothing this election year (I know this doesn't apply to all of you).

alaric
07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
They wish to host a debate but nobody has accepted as of yet. The chances of them accepting if they know they have to debate a 3rd party - I'd say 0%

this could be an opener to a 3rd party debate. Screw the CFR selectees, just have the 3rd party candidates debate among each other!

svf
07-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Actually Perot was only polling 7-9% before the 1992 debates. After they let him in, he shot up to 20%+. The main reason they let him in was he had unlimited amounts of his own money to spend on the campaign, therefore there was a "realistic expectation" he could win.

I believe they started setting the threshhold at 15% after that 1992 debate. They saw that a 3rd party candidate could get a huge bump if allowed to debate the D's and R's. So they set the polling limit higher than any 3rd party candidate has ever been able to achieve pre-debates.

Crafty bastards, ain't they.

Join The Paul Side
07-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Yeah, until the 3rd party candidate makes the Dem and Pub candidates look silly. Then they will block that person out the remaining debates just like they did Ross Perot. :cool:

svf
07-11-2008, 01:26 PM
this could be an opener to a 3rd party debate. Screw the CFR selectees, just have the 3rd party candidates debate among each other!
There are 3rd party debates every election year. Nobody cares, and nobody reports on them or broadcasts them other than C-SPAN.

The #1 thing we could do to help Barr get into the debate is give him money. Without money, he can't advertise and without ads his polling numbers won't go up. I can only hope that if and when he runs TV ads they're way better than Ron Paul's or that won't work either....

"He's catching on........."

Join The Paul Side
07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I like this thinking. Why not join forces with the Obama people if it helps us.

I will say it again - we Ron Paul people are able to do so much if we get serious. Just because our man isn't running doesn't mean we should be sitting back doing nothing this election year (I know this doesn't apply to all of you).

I'd like to see us get serious, but everybody has their own idea of how they are going to vote.

We're all united under Dr. Paul, but if he isn't by miracle the Republican nominee after the RNC we will be divided on who we vote for.

Why you ask? Because some plan to write him in no matter what. Some plan to vote for Barr. Some plan to vote for Baldwin. A few have even mentioned voting for Mr. FISA Obama.

My precint uses machines so I don't think I'll have a chance to write in Dr. Paul. So I am leaning towards voting Barr. For some reason certain people here don't like Barr. But I do. He's a lot better than Juan McCan't and FISA Obama.

I wish we would use our talent and resources to unite behind Barr (if Dr. Paul is indeed not the nominee). Between us and the recently pissed off Obama supporters jumping ship because of his FISA vote, we may possibly get Barr up to or over 15% in national polls, IMO. :)

RonPaulCult
07-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Just consider - Ron Paul had as much as what - 8% in polls. And that was with 10 others. 15% is very possible.

Alex Libman
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
The only third party candidates who have a chance of polling high enough to make it into the debates are Ralph Nader (possibly) and Bob Barr (good shot).

If if Chuck Baldwin would drop out and endorse Bob Barr, and if Ron Paul would more vocally support him, the odds of there being a libertarian point of view televised to tens of millions of American households would go up significantly.

alaric
07-11-2008, 06:53 PM
The only third party candidates who have a chance of polling high enough to make it into the debates are Ralph Nader (possibly) and Bob Barr (good shot).

If if Chuck Baldwin would drop out and endorse Bob Barr, and if Ron Paul would more vocally support him, the odds of there being a libertarian point of view televised to tens of millions of American households would go up significantly.

this would also solve the ballot access problem. What states the LP misses, the CP has.

Kludge
07-11-2008, 06:56 PM
this would also solve the ballot access problem. What states the LP misses, the CP has.

The LP is still working to achieve full ballot access.

rockandrollsouls
07-11-2008, 06:57 PM
It's 15% for the debates except for the google debate which may or may not happen.

Look maybe we should focus on Barr only if it's true he has the best shot. But I will say again as Ron Paul supporters we should come to the defense of all candidates wanting to debate.

I think everyone should have the right to debate, but since this is not the case I honestly think we should all be focusing our energy towards Barr. We could at least get our message out to a larger audience if he is in the debates.

And Baldwin would never endorse Barr. I know some of you here like him, but I think he's pompous and self righteous.

alaric
07-11-2008, 06:57 PM
There are 3rd party debates every election year. Nobody cares, and nobody reports on them or broadcasts them other than C-SPAN.

The #1 thing we could do to help Barr get into the debate is give him money. Without money, he can't advertise and without ads his polling numbers won't go up. I can only hope that if and when he runs TV ads they're way better than Ron Paul's or that won't work either....

"He's catching on........."

actually, this time it might. All those who vote 3rd party would watch, along with disgusted rep/dem voters with no choice obocain.

haaaylee
07-11-2008, 07:31 PM
we definitely need to have a talk with pissed off Obama supporters about Bob Barr. .....

nathanmn
07-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Perhaps someone could make a youtube video dramatizing how scared Obama and McCain are of a real debate? Whatever we do we need to press this and make it a big issue. We have all of these spamming skills left over from the campaign, lets put them to use.

SouthGeorgia61
07-11-2008, 11:57 PM
zzz

RonPaulCult
07-12-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm all for having videos made. Let's get something started here. Videos are a great way because they are so easily passed around the internet.

familydog
07-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Getting Barr into a debate with Obama and McCain is a pipe dream no matter what his fanboys say.

If you want the debates to feature third party candidates we either have to do one of two things.

Get rid of the electoral college. This will break up the two party system. Problem solved.

Or get the League of Women Voters back into the business of running the debates. They actually wanted third parties in the debates.

klamath
07-12-2008, 09:46 AM
The last person before Ross Perot to get 10% was John Anderson in 1980. Reagan and Carter only had one debate because Reagan wanted John Anderson to have the right to debate but Carter refused to debate until Anderson was kicked out.

Akus
07-12-2008, 11:03 AM

My question to you - if you're still reading - is what can we do to get somebody on the outside in?

Um, didn't you just answer your own question?

RonPaulCult
07-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Um, didn't you just answer your own question?

No because my question is how can we get somebody up to 15% or make them change this policy.

kombayn
07-12-2008, 04:05 PM
I say we start organizing meet-up groups and promote the 3rd Party candidates, right now Bob Barr & Ralph Nader are the only two candidates with a real shot of cracking the system. I would go to MeetUp.com and start organizing, if one of us from each state start the promoting, we can figure out ways to get them into the debates. Post YouTube videos, do some volunteer work for the campaigns and tell people when they're asked in polling questions to "vote" 3rd party even if in the end they won't vote them in the General Election. Tell them that we need more candidates in the debate so people can hear more than just 2 choices that are moving up towards Statism.