PDA

View Full Version : The primary system is limiting our choices.

forsmant
07-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Why do we even have primaries? Why are our state governments involved in the parties selection process? Why do you have to register with a certain affiliation in order to vote? Are you required to win the primary in order to be on the general election ballot?

State governments should not be participating in the selection process of any candidate running for office. The state should place anyone on the ballot that wants to run and is eligible. This would encourage people to participate in the selection process of their respective parties.

constituent
07-10-2008, 06:45 PM
i say all write-ins, no television or newspaper ads. allowed.

TastyWheat
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I do agree with the poster that state governments should have little if any involvement in party primaries. The parties themselves should be responsible for setting their own dates, reserving space for ballot boxes, counting their own ballots, then working to get their "elected" candidate on the ballot. I would hope the requirements to get a Republican on a ballot would be the same as getting an Independent on the ballot. Party association shouldn't be listed on any ballots either, just names and position.