PDA

View Full Version : An essay I wrote..

zach
07-10-2008, 05:33 PM
The Illusion of Collectivism

As much as you would like to think so, our labels do not define us - we define the labels we give to each other. I support the notion that while labels are helpful, they are also detrimental to the human race by further dividing it into neat little packages to continue the hopeless mentality of "Us vs. Them." As I have stated in a previous entry, we are not black and white. To divide each other into groups is natural, but to do it for discrimination and exclusiveness - that is the problem. We should think of each other as human beings and not have this self-righteous idea that only Caucasians or Heterosexuals should have full rights to do what they want. All of this grouping keeps us separated, and you know what that does? It allows our federal government to have an easier job of controlling us. Don't believe me? Look up the Patriot Act, the Real ID Act, and the most recently passed Fisa Bill, which grants immunity to phone companies for warrantless spying on their customers. Now you may say, "Well, I don't have anything to hide so I don't care." That's not the point. The government is not allowed to infringe upon our privacy as citizens according to the Constitution (remember that old thing?). While there are more liberty-taking bills being quietly and quickly passed under our apathetic eyes - we sit in our rooms, our churches, our workplaces, and shudder at the thought of associating with whom we are told is wrong in their thinking. While we are dividing ourselves, we are slowly becoming enslaved to Big Brother. Once you become aware of this, then you will discover a new sense of freedom and unity as you discover what it means to be a human - not Conservative, not Gay, not Christian, not Punk-Rocker, but Human.

"It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense."
-Mark Twain

What do you all think?

acptulsa
07-10-2008, 05:36 PM
I like it. Can you afford to fatten it up or is it at regulation length? More in the middle tying the preamble and the conclusion together would do no harm, I think.