PDA

View Full Version : CFL Events Coordinator Answers Your Questions

Don
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Hey Everybody - I wanted to start this thread in the ever popular "Grassroots Central" so that you all had a conduit for getting your questions about September's "Rally for the Republic" and related events answered.

As long as you play nice (I am not here to answer for the presidential campaign), I will, to the greatest degree possible, try to answer your questions. When, as a matter of strategy or propriety, I cannot answer a question, I will tell you that as well.

As anyone who has been around here for a while knows, I come from a customer service background and have, in the past, tried to be a go-between for the grassroots and HQ.

You are the CfL's customers and I carry that message into every meeting and to every member of the staff, from the office manager to Dr. Paul.

Here are a couple of updates that will answer many questions, please read first so that we don't have to spend a lot of time going over old ground:

http://ronpaulblog.com/2008/07/03/campaign-for-liberty-update/

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=145

Now, fire away...

MRoCkEd
07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Can you name any other guests/speakers/performers that have been either confirmed or invited (Besides Carlson, Allen, and Gov. Johnson)?

amy31416
07-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi Don,

I know it's a ways off, but is there a schedule of events yet? I'm looking for a flyer with location, dates/times, where to get tickets and how much. Pretty much any information on any resources from the CfL, like suggestions on where to stay, meeting places, best routes.

Thanks!

DeadtoSin
07-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Are there any site updates planned to be released in the near future?

Also, will there be a section with topical videos and materials so we can start doing some classes at our local meetings?

Yeah, they're cliche and obvious and you probably don't have an answer but I figured it'd be good to get them out from the start of the thread.

Don
07-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Can you name any other guests/speakers/performers that have been either confirmed or invited (Besides Carlson, Allen, and Gov. Johnson)?

We do have a couple more speakers ready to roll out, but we are waiting to confirm a major music star (currently in negations) before making the next announcement. Our goal is to make a major announcement every week leading up to the event in order to maximize the excitement and attention that it will generate.

All I can say for now is that we are working with several political heavy hitters and famed musicians, but these talks are sensitive and a leak or a badly timed announcement could jeopardize our efforts.

qh4dotcom
07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Don...what time does the rally start on September 2nd? What is the schedule of events planned for September 2nd?

I plan to arrive that day....the earliest flight from my city arrives at Minneapolis at about noon...so I could be at the rally at about 1pm...I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I have been unable to make travel arrangements because I don't know this information. Please let me know.

Don
07-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi Don,

I know it's a ways off, but is there a schedule of events yet? I'm looking for a flyer with location, dates/times, where to get tickets and how much. Pretty much any information on any resources from the CfL, like suggestions on where to stay, meeting places, best routes.

Thanks!

The official event web site will be rolled out next week. It will have the schedule, downloadable marketing materials, ticket info, speaker/artist profiles, a homestay matching tool, logistical support, and much more.

We just completed the contest that allowed the grassroots to bring your considerable talent to bear on the theme and web site design and our technical team will be working a long weekend to get the site live.

constituent
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
The official event web site will be rolled out next week. It will have the schedule, downloadable marketing materials, ticket info, speaker/artist profiles, a homestay matching tool, logistical support, and much more.

We just completed the contest that allowed the grassroots to bring your considerable talent to bear on the theme and web site design and our technical team will be working a long weekend to get the site live.

that is excellent news!

constituent
07-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Serious Question:

Does the CFL have plans to start working on lawsuit templates, informative brochures/posters/packets on jury nullification, formulating GR campaigns to coincide w/ actions RP is taking in congress and other things of that nature?

Don
07-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Are there any site updates planned to be released in the near future?

Also, will there be a section with topical videos and materials so we can start doing some classes at our local meetings?

Yeah, they're cliche and obvious and you probably don't have an answer but I figured it'd be good to get them out from the start of the thread.

The CfL website update is in the planning stages. We know it is deficient and we owe you guys a much better site and tool set. September 1st will be about saying thank you to all of you, September 2nd will be about rolling out CFL and turning the page to the next phase of the revolution.

At that point, the effort to add features and functions to campaignforliberty.com will begin in earnest. We know that we have to step it up as Minnesota will bring a lot of attention to the organization, the site and the continuing revolution.

votefreedomfirst
07-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Don,

Could you please have someone add an option to the website to not have your name and hometown displayed on the widget when you sign up? RonPaul2008.com had the same option for campaign donors. I signed up at CfL anyway, but it could be an issue with some people.

Don
07-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Don,

Could you please have someone add an option to the website to not have your name and hometown displayed on the widget when you sign up? RonPaul2008.com had the same option for campaign donors. I signed up at CfL anyway, but it could be an issue with some people.

Yes. This was brought to my attention today and I agree completely with your concerns.

constituent
07-09-2008, 06:46 PM
also, has anyone discussed with Bryan (forum admins) his concept for a centralized GR straw poll and the possibility of CFL sponsoring it?

Don
07-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Don...what time does the rally start on September 2nd? What is the schedule of events planned for September 2nd?

I plan to arrive that day....the earliest flight from my city arrives at Minneapolis at about noon...so I could be at the rally at about 1pm...I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I have been unable to make travel arrangements because I don't know this information. Please let me know.

September 2nd will be a full day of events, as will September 1st (Ron Paul Nation Celebration Concert, Dr. Paul's book signing, and some things we're not ready to announce). You can easily spend 12 hours of each of those days just going to our planned events.

If you are arriving on the 2nd, you will still be able to make many of the big activities, including the main event, The Rally for the Republic.

runningdiz
07-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Will any part of the rally be on the TV? LIke CSPAN or something since all the major networks will be in town for the Republican Convention.

robert4rp08
07-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Has the arena been reserved yet?

Badger Paul
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
All of us in Minnesota and Western Wisconsin, where Dr. Paul had good deal of support, urge CFL to have a parade or some sort of gathering with Dr. Paul at the Minnesota State Fair. The fair will be going on the weekend before the convention, Aug., 29, 30 and 31. The fair is one of the largest in the country, drawing nearly 2 million people.

We would love to see Dr. Paul at the "Great Minnesota Get Together" as we call the fair. We can't wait.

Don
07-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Will any part of the rally be on the TV? LIke CSPAN or something since all the major networks will be in town for the Republican Convention.

I can't say much about this right now for fear of mucking things up, but there is a comprehensive media plan on a bigger scale than anything the presidential campaign had.

Don
07-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Has the arena been reserved yet?

Yes.

Don
07-09-2008, 07:34 PM
All of us in Minnesota and Western Wisconsin, where Dr. Paul had good deal of support, urge CFL to have a parade or some sort of gathering with Dr. Paul at the Minnesota State Fair. The fair will be going on the weekend before the convention, Aug., 29, 30 and 31. The fair is one of the largest in the country, drawing nearly 2 million people.

We would love to see Dr. Paul at the "Great Minnesota Get Together" as we call the fair. We can't wait.

I will talk to Dr. Paul's scheduler in the morning and report back.

IPSecure
07-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Can we setup the CFL as a lobby?

America's Pro-Constitutional lobby, the American Constitutional Public Affairs Committee, welcomed the congressional action, saying it would increase US aid to Campaign For Liberty to 2.55 billion dollars in fiscal year 2009, up from 2.38 billion dollars this year.

"The US commitment to maintaining Ron Paul's qualitative intellectual edge is the cornerstone of American integrity in the world," CFL said in a statement Friday.

"This year's package holds heightened significance for US sovernity interests, as the US faces new challenges from Facism and Corporatism." The US's drive to acquire nuclear weapons and bully the world, adds to the growing resentment of radical western forces.

Don
07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Can we setup the CFL as a lobby?

Part of the "Rally for the Republic" will be a multi-media presentation about Dr. Paul's vision for the CFL as well as information about its structure, mission and ways that the organization will aid all of you in moving the revolution forward in the years to come. So I think I will wait and let him tell you.

MsDoodahs
07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
The CfL website update is in the planning stages. We know it is deficient and we owe you guys a much better site and tool set. September 1st will be about saying thank you to all of you, September 2nd will be about rolling out CFL and turning the page to the next phase of the revolution.

At that point, the effort to add features and functions to campaignforliberty.com will begin in earnest. We know that we have to step it up as Minnesota will bring a lot of attention to the organization, the site and the continuing revolution.

Does this mean it will be after Sept 2 before we see any changes in the CFL website?

MsDoodahs
07-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh, and thank you very much for stopping in to update us. It is much appreciated.

:)

rajibo
07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Does the website http://www.libertyreporter.org/ have any official connection to the Campaign for Liberty?

I received an email from them yesterday and I'm not sure if that's why they have my email address.

Don
07-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Does this mean it will be after Sept 2 before we see any changes in the CFL website?

I know that once the Minnesota events are done, we will have a lot more talent and resources to dedicate to the site, but will there be any changes before September 2nd? I don't know.

I'm the event coordinator and that is keeping me busy about 18 hours a day. I don't have anything to do with the web site other than what those folks tell me and they haven't told me what their roll-out schedule is.

Don
07-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Does the website http://www.libertyreporter.org/ have any official connection to the Campaign for Liberty?

I received an email from them yesterday and I'm not sure if that's why they have my email address.

I've never heard of this site, so my gut says no, but I think I will ask around just to be sure and report back.

Danke
07-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Hello Don,

You are the event coordinator. Are you taking any suggestions on speakers?

Don
07-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Hello Don,

You are the event coordinator. Are you taking any suggestions on speakers?

You bet. I just wrote down the name of someone suggested on the CfL blog.

Don
07-09-2008, 09:11 PM
That's it for tonight y'all. I will try to answer a couple more tomorrow during the day. After that it will likely be Sunday before I get another chance since I have a dozen people crashing at my place for the DC march.

It should be an amazing weekend. If your in the DC area, come out to Georgetown on Friday night and hang with the R3VOLutionaries at Mr. Smiths 3104 M Street NW.

IPSecure
07-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Gov. Ventura (Guest Speaker)?

muzzled dogg
07-09-2008, 09:42 PM
bill maher

alaric
07-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I guess i saw this too late, so i guess it will come up tomorrow: I think i am not alone in concerns about votefraud. I don't think the NH recount was ever completed and those results started the disappointments we saw. Is the CFL going to start any projects that will go towards educating the GDP about vote-rigging in the Diebold age and what we can do to prevent it for any RP candidates running for congress/senate or state offices?

tonesforjonesbones
07-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I really wish ya'll would do something in the south. I live in Florida and those northern places are like in another world mannnn... tones

muzzled dogg
07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
the south, eh?

tonesforjonesbones
07-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Yes..the south. tones

constituent
07-10-2008, 06:46 AM
I really wish ya'll would do something in the south. I live in Florida and those northern places are like in another world mannnn... tones

beltwaycentrism has been a frequent complaint (don't take my word for it, ask around)...

good luck with that.

constituent
07-10-2008, 06:47 AM
the south, eh?

do you say anything? or are you just working on post count atm?

SnappleLlama
07-10-2008, 06:50 AM
I was hoping a bigger venue would be booked, considering that there's going to be a massive turnout.... :) Is there going to be a limited number of tickets?

muzzled dogg
07-10-2008, 06:56 AM
do you say anything? or are you just working on post count atm?

the former...

Don
07-10-2008, 08:54 AM

I just spoke to Dr. Paul's scheduler and she will talk to him about coming in on the 31st to do make an appearance at the state fair.

Don
07-10-2008, 08:59 AM

I can now definitively say that we have no official association with that site and that we currently have no plans to share or sell CfL membership lists with any outside group.

Don
07-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Is the CFL going to start any projects that will go towards educating the GDP about vote-rigging in the Diebold age and what we can do to prevent it for any RP candidates running for congress/senate or state offices?

Great question about a key issue. I would love to see this as a primary policy action item for CfL. That said, Dr. Paul hasn't discussed policy focus for the CfL with me, so I really can't answer except to agree about the importance and the need.

Don
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I was hoping a bigger venue would be booked, considering that there's going to be a massive turnout.... :) Is there going to be a limited number of tickets?

We have options. If the demand is strong, we'll accommodate folks. Stay tuned.

Mckarnin
07-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Don,

Thanks for coming in to answer questions! You seem to have a bit of information, some of it much more far reaching than the rally in September. Are you more than the event coordinator/wearing multiple hats? Were you involved with the grassroots or the Ron Paul Campaign in some capacity before the CFL? Are you a full-time employee of the CFL, and intern, a volunteer?

Now for my event question...do you know how much admission is going to cost for the events on the 1st and the 2nd? With travel and lodging being high already some idea of the admission cost would really help with decision making.

Thank you.

Katharine

Hey Everybody - I wanted to start this thread in the ever popular "Grassroots Central" so that you all had a conduit for getting your questions about September's "Rally for the Republic" and related events answered.

As long as you play nice (I am not here to answer for the presidential campaign), I will, to the greatest degree possible, try to answer your questions. When, as a matter of strategy or propriety, I cannot answer a question, I will tell you that as well.

As anyone who has been around here for a while knows, I come from a customer service background and have, in the past, tried to be a go-between for the grassroots and HQ.

You are the CfL's customers and I carry that message into every meeting and to every member of the staff, from the office manager to Dr. Paul.

Here are a couple of updates that will answer many questions, please read first so that we don't have to spend a lot of time going over old ground:

http://ronpaulblog.com/2008/07/03/campaign-for-liberty-update/

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=145

Now, fire away...

Don
07-10-2008, 09:21 AM

Ha! I was the debate advance guy. We did 3 or 4 debates in Florida and had funders, rallies and media events at every one. Florida got more attention than any state except SC, IA, and NH.

On a personal note, thank you to all of the supporters in Florida, you guys were a gold standard. You worked so hard for Dr. Paul and always made us feel welcomed.

I have no idea what kind of CfL event schedule Dr. Paul envisions keeping after Minnesota, but I know there are some plans that I am not yet privy to.

Don
07-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Don,

Thanks for coming in to answer questions! You seem to have a bit of information, some of it much more far reaching than the rally in September. Are you more than the event coordinator/wearing multiple hats? Were you involved with the grassroots or the Ron Paul Campaign in some capacity before the CFL? Are you a full-time employee of the CFL, and intern, a volunteer?

Now for my event question...do you know how much admission is going to cost for the events on the 1st and the 2nd? With travel and lodging being high already some idea of the admission cost would really help with decision making.

Thank you.

Katharine

No Katharine, I am just on contract through September 2nd to put this program together in Minnesota. I was a senior staffer on the presidential campaign, running the direct mail program and doing advance work, so I am close to many of the primary folks in the organization, hence I have some idea about what's going on.

As far as admission goes, only the Tuesday "Rally for the Republic" will have a cost. Every other event will be free. We are working hard to keep the ticket price as low as possible, but until we have more information about some of the cost outlays, I can't give you a specific number. Tickets will go on sale soon, so watch for the event web site roll-out next week for more info.

HOLLYWOOD
07-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I can't say much about this right now for fear of mucking things up, but there is a comprehensive media plan on a bigger scale than anything the presidential campaign had.

Thank Goodness!

I haven't seen an answers to guess speakers being INVITED:

"Jesse Ventura "
"Bill Maher"
"Judge Andrew Napolitano"
"Pat Buchanan"
"Ralph Nader"
"Bob Barr"
"Chuck Baldwin"
"Cindy McKenney"
"Jesse Johnson"
Guess Interviewers news, etc.: Dan Rather - HDNET, Jon Stewart, Colburn, Conan, Democracy NOW,
Publications: Newsweek, Business Week, Rolling Stone, Atlantic, Politico, Associated Press, etc
Foreign NEWS coverage: BBC, Der Spiegel, RUETERS, SKY NEWS,

More LIMELIGHT, the MORE COVERAGE.

Entertainment: Musical & Political Comedians (not the ones from Washington D.C.)?

Will there a professional Stage built for the rally in the arena?

Arena decors (Inside & OUT)?

Flags? CONSTITUTION THEME? REVOLUTIONARY FLAGS?

FOUNDING FATHERS QUOTES posted through the ARENA/TWIN CITIES?

RON PAUL QUOTES and BOOK EXCERPTS posted in the metro area/arena?

Billboards around the twin cities?

Newspaper Ads?

TV Ads?

constituent
07-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Thank Goodness!

"Jesse Ventura "
"Bill Maher"
"Pat Buchanan"

Entertainment: Musical & Political Comedians (not the ones from Washington D.C.)?

Newspaper Ads?

TV Ads?

Great Questions HOLLYWOOD! I'd been wondering about these myself... for instance, any coordination with the fella running Operation St. Paul?

Don
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Thank Goodness!

"Jesse Ventura "
"Bill Maher"
"Pat Buchanan"
"Ralph Nader"
"Bob Barr"
"Chuck Baldwin"
"Cindy McKenney"
"Jesse Johnson"
Guess Interviewers news, etc.: Dan Rather - HDNET, Jon Stewart, Colburn, Conan, Democracy NOW,
Publications: Newsweek, Business Week, Rolling Stone, Atlantic, Politico, Associated Press, etc

Newspaper Ads?

TV Ads?

Many of your suggestions have been considered and we are pursuing some of those folks.

However, I would refer you to my earlier point about about on-going negotiations and the propriety of the comprehensive marketing/media plan.

As for thematic elements, we will announce the winner of the web design contest today. The theme they used for the web site will also be the theme we used for marketing, location aesthetics, programs, promotional items, etc.

UtahApocalypse
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Thank Goodness!

"Jesse Ventura "
"Bill Maher"
"Pat Buchanan"
"Ralph Nader"
"Bob Barr"
"Chuck Baldwin"
"Cindy McKenney"
"Jesse Johnson"

Newspaper Ads?

TV Ads?

wow, you could get hired lol.

Don, thanks for stopping in. you mentioned "a homestay matching tool" is that going to be a resource to make lodging arrangements?

Don
07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Don, thanks for stopping in. you mentioned "a homestay matching tool" is that going to be a resource to make lodging arrangements?

That's correct. The interface has been in production for some time and the tool will be rolled out next week along with the new web site.

alaric
07-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Great question about a key issue. I would love to see this as a primary policy action item for CfL. That said, Dr. Paul hasn't discussed policy focus for the CfL with me, so I really can't answer except to agree about the importance and the need.

thanks, Don. I really hope something can be done about this.

HOLLYWOOD
07-10-2008, 04:25 PM
wow, you could get hired lol.

Thanx & Yeah, I've done 100 conventions on the marketing side and the associated guest speaker coverages and events queuing.

It is paramount to establish and maintain media contacts. Professionalism and Communications must be a premium in holding responsive and positive rapport with the Media mediums. (An ATC - Air Traffic Controller Type of Public Relations simile)

I personally suggest a vibrant, well designed venue, with the atmosphere of open liberties for all supporters and visitors. Appropriate lighting and environment for all MSM access. As you all probably know, the Dinosaurs across town will be doing a lot of "Flag Waving" falling/following over one another to prove the most patriotic with endorsements.

Has the U of M, Theater Arts/Production curriculum been contacted for assistance, Co-Ops, etc... which can save CFL; money, resources, time, in addition to having MORE IQ on the production?

Oh well, I guess 90% of the statistics can be made to say anything... 50% of the time, these days.

yoshimaroka
07-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Good post above, Hollywood.

---
Adam Curry confirmed on his show that he'll be involved in some way

crackyflipside
07-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Looks like this is the new layout as well as some (confirmed?) speakers.

http://99designs.com/contests/9058/entries/622039-original

muzzled dogg
07-10-2008, 10:04 PM
dude get mark cuban to speak

Don
07-10-2008, 10:56 PM
dude get mark cuban to speak

Hmmmm...

IPSecure
07-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Don,

Has there been any consideration for the national delegates who will be stuck at the other convention, to join in the fun?

What is the CFL stance on Alex Jones?

How about Bob Schulz giving an update on the petition?

Thanks for all of your help in promoting liberty!

Don
07-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Don,

Has there been any consideration for the national delegates who will be stuck at the other convention, to join in the fun?

What is the CFL stance on Alex Jones?

How about Bob Schulz giving an update on the petition?

Thanks for all of your help in promoting liberty!

For reasons I have mentioned before, I won't get into talking about specific people, but we have been thinking about the delegates.

All RNC delegates and alternates will receive complimentary tickets to “The Rally for the Republic.” They will have to make their own decision about whether their time is better spent at the RNC or at our events on Monday and Tuesday. Obviously, we have to run our events in conjunction with the RNC, but we chose these days specifically because they are the lower profile convention days.

SnappleLlama
07-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Love that Carleson Tucker...LOL!! (see new website layout above)

libertarian4321
07-11-2008, 07:15 AM

I'll come up a day or two earlier for this, if it occurs.

MRoCkEd
07-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Will the concert and rally be professionally filmed - maybe available on DVD?

muzzled dogg
07-11-2008, 07:23 AM
that be bad ass but they needa get decent acts first

tonesforjonesbones
07-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Well.. decent acts are subjective lol. I STILL think that there should be at least ONE military band. They are GREAT musicians, and free. I was in the Army Band for 7 years..and we played for a lot of things like that. The service bands have marching bands, concert bands that could do a GREAT patriotic music set, with the National Anthem as opener..or they have wonderful jazz ensembles or rock/pop bands. We played for George Bush sr, Colin Powell, George Schultz, Dan Quayle...Tony Bennett, Clint Eastwood..etc. Tones

Don
07-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Will the concert and rally be professionally filmed - maybe available on DVD?

We are working with a couple of different producers. More on this to come...

JK/SEA
07-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Is it possible that there will be LARGE monitors placed outside the arena for those of us who can't get in?

Thankyou.

Don
07-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Is it possible that there will be LARGE monitors placed outside the arena for those of us who can't get in?

Thankyou.

Yes. We have plans for overflow viewing.

MRoCkEd
07-11-2008, 07:25 PM
How about a live online stream?

Matt Collins
07-11-2008, 07:46 PM
How about a live online stream?It's very hard to do that because of the fact that broadcasting music of any kind runs into all sorts of copyright/licensing laws which are expensive and cumbersome.

Matt Collins
07-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Are you taking any suggestions on speakers?
Yeah I would like to second the following speakers:

Judge Andrew Napolitano
Pat Buchanan
Tucker Carlson
John Stossel
Jerome Corsi
Ross Perot
Michael Badnarik

MRoCkEd
07-11-2008, 07:49 PM
I'd like to second Jesse Ventura

RP4Pres2008
07-11-2008, 08:16 PM
I hope just half of those guests could speak. People are ready for truth and REAL change!

SaratogaForRonPaul
07-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi Don,

This is not an event question, but a general CFL question. One of the main missions listed on the website is to help local candidates across the country. Can you elaborate on what that means and what CFL is actually legally capable of doing to aid these candidates?

I am a Ron Paul endorsed candidate running in NY 21st district in an open seat (McNulty is retiring). I have a hard race, but with enough volunteers, awareness, and donations, we have a fighting chance.

So my question is, can the CFL as a 501.c organization identify all the Ron Paul endorsed candidates to let those in the R3VOLution movement know that they exist and make their own personal decisions as to who they will support through volunteering and, if they choose to do so independently, donate. Simply a list similar to www.PaulCongress.com.

The reason I ask is that the majority of the movement, outside from members of these forums and a few other sites, do not know that any of these candidates exist or are endorsed by Ron Paul. Until the 68K+ people are given the list, then they are deprived of making an informed decision as to who and how they can help the movement further along and help contribute to the number one listed strategy on the CFL's mission statement.

The reality is that if we wait until September, then it will be too late to make an impact on almost all the campaigns.

Thank you for your upcoming response.

MRoCkEd
07-12-2008, 01:16 PM
It's very hard to do that because of the fact that broadcasting music of any kind runs into all sorts of copyright/licensing laws which are expensive and cumbersome.
Hard to do.. but possible?

Jeremy
07-12-2008, 01:28 PM

Judge Andrew Napolitano
Pat Buchanan
Tucker Carlson
John Stossel
Jerome Corsi
Ross Perot
Michael Badnarik

Um... I thought I heard that Tuck Carlson is covering the event for MSNBC. Well I heard he had something to do with it. If he's a speaker then... well whatever!

Jeremy
07-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi Don,

This is not an event question, but a general CFL question. One of the main missions listed on the website is to help local candidates across the country. Can you elaborate on what that means and what CFL is actually legally capable of doing to aid these candidates?

I am a Ron Paul endorsed candidate running in NY 21st district in an open seat (McNulty is retiring). I have a hard race, but with enough volunteers, awareness, and donations, we have a fighting chance.

So my question is, can the CFL as a 501.c organization identify all the Ron Paul endorsed candidates to let those in the R3VOLution movement know that they exist and make their own personal decisions as to who they will support through volunteering and, if they choose to do so independently, donate. Simply a list similar to www.PaulCongress.com.

The reason I ask is that the majority of the movement, outside from members of these forums and a few other sites, do not know that any of these candidates exist or are endorsed by Ron Paul. Until the 68K+ people are given the list, then they are deprived of making an informed decision as to who and how they can help the movement further along and help contribute to the number one listed strategy on the CFL's mission statement.

The reality is that if we wait until September, then it will be too late to make an impact on almost all the campaigns.

I am also curious about this because I have been trying to help the BJ Lawson campaign (NC), but I live 600 miles away from his district. I know the CFL could help out a lot... but I'm actually not sure what it is they can do.

Dave
07-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Hello, Don! It will be great to see you again in MPLS! I was afraid you had fled to CR by now.

Anyways...

At the Iowa GOP Convention this weekend our RP crowd was talking about MPLS (every single RP delegate I talked to will be there). We all want to find each other at the RP convention and we thought it would be great if the seating was done by state - kind of like a party convention. This way we can sit together and network and build good teams for when we all go back home.

Point is - there needs to be some means of finding other people from your state. Everyone will be trying to do this and we need to facilitate that somehow. You probably already have something in mind...

Stay safe!

rajibo
07-12-2008, 10:40 PM

Judge Andrew Napolitano
Pat Buchanan
Tucker Carlson
John Stossel
Jerome Corsi
Ross Perot
Michael Badnarik

Penn and Teller

IPSecure
07-12-2008, 10:41 PM
I think we overlooked mentioning Rand Paul...

AJ Antimony
07-12-2008, 11:08 PM
John Stossel and Penn and Teller for the win!

Roxi
07-13-2008, 12:08 AM
also, has anyone discussed with Bryan (forum admins) his concept for a centralized GR straw poll and the possibility of CFL sponsoring it?

sorry if i missed it Don, but i hadn't seen this question answered :)

Matt Collins
07-13-2008, 01:46 AM
Hard to do.. but possible?I dont know all of the exact legalese, but I work in the music industry and have studied copyright law in college. Let's just say that to do it would require tremendous effort and probably quite a bit of money for not much return.

It would simply be easier to just not broadcast/stream the music portions of the event.

Don
07-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Don,

This question is way out of my mandate, but I'll tell you what little I know. The reality is, as a 501.C.4, non-tax exempt, non-profit political organization, there is very little we can do in terms of direct support for candidates. The organization is exploring structural options that would allow CfL to function in this capacity in the future, however that gets into Dr. Paul's vision for the organization long-term and doesn't really apply to this election cycle. All questions relating to endorsements should be go to the congressional staff.

Don
07-13-2008, 12:39 PM
sorry if i missed it Don, but i hadn't seen this question answered :)

Brian, feel free contact me if you would like to discuss this.

The Lantern
07-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Bump

Jeremy
07-14-2008, 09:24 AM
John Stossel and Penn and Teller for the win!

Penn and Teller?... um, no

IPSecure
07-14-2008, 09:38 AM
This question is way out of my mandate, but I'll tell you what little I know. The reality is, as a 501.C.4, non-tax exempt, non-profit political organization, there is very little we can do in terms of direct support for candidates. The organization is exploring structural options that would allow CfL to function in this capacity in the future, however that gets into Dr. Paul's vision for the organization long-term and doesn't really apply to this election cycle. All questions relating to endorsements should be go to the congressional staff.

Don,

This may be 'out there', but would like to suggest anyway...
BerkShares (http://www.berkshares.org/) are a local currency designed for use in the Southern Berkshire region of Massachusetts with issue by BerkShares, Inc., a non-profit organization working in collaboration with the Southern Berkshire Chamber of Commerce, participating local banks, local businesses, and local non-profit organizations.

Liberty Currency: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=123050

Liberty Checks: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=138783Regards.

HOLLYWOOD
07-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi Don,

What Is a 501c4 Organization? Here's some insite to a 501(c)4 and how it compares to the popular 501(c)3.

The difference between a 501(c)3 and a 501(c)4

501(c)4s are a common type of non-profit organization that can engage in lobbying or political campaigning.

501(c)4s are tax-exempt non-profit organizations. More specifically, according to the Internal Revenue Code (IRC), 501(c)(4)s are:

* “civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare,
* "or local associations of employees, the membership of which is limited to the employees of a designated person or persons in a particular municipality,
* "and the net earnings of which are devoted exclusively to charitable, educational, or recreational purposes.”

Comparing 501(c)3s and 501(c)4s

501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations are very similar in many respects. In fact, any organization that qualifies for a 501(c)3 tax-exemption would also qualify for a 501(c)4. There are, however, important differences.

Non-profit status:

* Both 501(c)(3)s and 501(c)(4)s must be run as not for profits.
* Neither 501(c)(3)s nor 501(c)(4) earnings may benefit a private shareholder or individual.

Tax-exemption:

* Both 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations are exempt from paying federal income tax. State tax-exemption status varies by state.

Lobbying (trying to affect legislation):

* 501(c)3s are limited in the amount of time and/or money they can put into lobbying.
* 501(c)4s can do an unlimited amount of lobbying (but then become ineligible to receive federal monies like grants).

Political campaign activity:

* 501(c)3s cannot in any way support or oppose anyone running for public office, though they may be involved in political campaigns by way of non-partisan public forums, voter registration drives, etc.
* 501(c)4s can engage in political campaign activity, so long as this is consistent with the organization’s purpose and is not the organization’s primary activity.

Charitable Donations:

* Donations to 501(c)3s are deductible to the full extent of the law.
* Donations to 501(c)4s are not deductible.

Organizating be a 501(c)3 or a 501(c)4?

If you are planning on doing limited or no lobbying and no campaigning, then you probably want the 501(c)3 tax-exemption so that people can benefit from donating to your organization. However, if your organization will be doing substantial lobbying or any campaigning, you should form a 501(c)4.

If you want the best of both worlds, you can have two separate but affiliated organizations – one a charitable 501(c)(3) and the other a 501(c)(4).

NOTE: Many trade organizations lobby extensively on behalf of their members, but have an affiliated 501c3 foundation for charitable giving.