PDA

View Full Version : GOP Convention: In Espanol (not kidding)

Matt Collins
07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
The 2008 Republican National Convention today announced the launch of the Spanish language section of its official convention Web site. The Spanish section, www.gopconvention2008.com/enespanol (https://webmail.cumulus.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tracking.smartmailer.net/?147-997-9608-9747), will feature Spanish versions of convention information, fact sheets and press releases. The section will feature regular updates in Spanish leading up to and during the 2008 Republican National Convention.

"The launch of the Spanish-language section of our Web site is another important step toward creating a fully interactive online community to engage millions around the country," said convention President & CEO Maria Cino. "It is our goal to carry the Republican Party's message to all communities, so they may experience Sen. John McCain's extraordinary leadership and his positive vision for America."

For the first time ever, and in conjunction with its Official Live Video Streaming Provider Ustream.TV, the convention will stream live gavel-to-gavel coverage in Spanish on its Web site: www.GOPConvention2008.com (https://webmail.cumulus.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tracking.smartmailer.net/?147-997-9608-9742). As has been done in the past, the convention proceedings translated into Spanish will be available free of charge via satellite on the second audio path (SAP).

Oprima aqui (https://webmail.cumulus.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tracking.smartmailer.net/?147-997-9608-9741) para leer en espaņol

Matt Collins
07-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I see this as pandering (largely to illegals).

Why?

Because anyone who votes is able to speak English because they have become a citizen.

LittleLightShining
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
I saw this, too. I would assume that there are more Hispanics leaning towards McCain because of his association with Juan Hernandez. The Republicans must court them.

No1ButPaul08
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM

Why?

Because anyone who votes is able to speak English because they have become a citizen.

Yeah I am wondering too.

It reminds me of Rudy "I'll campaign for English as the official language but run ads in Spanish" Giuliani.

James Madison
07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Don't forget about the La Raza convention in a couple of weeks...both McCain and Obama will be there. I mean, there's nothing racist about an organization called "the race".

HOLLYWOOD
07-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Why?

Grand
Old
Pandering

How Fitting, the Irony of:

Juan
AARP
McCain

Cinderella
07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
why is this such a bad idea? my family is from colombia...my father has been a citizen of this country for 20 yrs and his english is still very poor...he speaks it and understands fluently but spanish is still his first language and he understands better in spanish.....i do understand the points about catering to the illegals tho

mport1
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Who cares?

angelatc
07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
I do. English is the language of the United States.

angelatc
07-09-2008, 12:15 PM
why is this such a bad idea? my family is from colombia...my father has been a citizen of this country for 20 yrs and his english is still very poor...he speaks it and understands fluently but spanish is still his first language and he understands better in spanish.....i do understand the points about catering to the illegals tho

So how did he manage to live here for 20 years and not become fluent? That's nothing to pander to.

I spent 3 weeks in France and was starting to pick up bits and pieces. I am pretty sure that if I were there for 20 years I'd be pretty damned fluent.

mport1
07-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I do. English is the language of the United States.

So people, companies, etc. shouldn't be able to use whatever language they want? Is that freedom?

dannno
07-09-2008, 04:12 PM
So people, companies, etc. shouldn't be able to use whatever language they want? Is that freedom?

They can do whatever they want, we are just judging them for their actions.

Nirvikalpa
07-09-2008, 04:16 PM
So how did he manage to live here for 20 years and not become fluent? That's nothing to pander to.

I spent 3 weeks in France and was starting to pick up bits and pieces. I am pretty sure that if I were there for 20 years I'd be pretty damned fluent.

QFT.

My neighbors have been here for 40 years. Only know 'hello.' :mad::rolleyes:

Matt Collins
07-09-2008, 05:53 PM
So people, companies, etc. shouldn't be able to use whatever language they want? Is that freedom?Of course they are free to use whatever language they want. I am not talking about mandating English only across the land.

However when one of the major parties panders to those who can't speak English (most of whom are illegal aliens), then there is a problem with that party.

Matt Collins
07-09-2008, 05:54 PM
My neighbors have been here for 40 years. Only know 'hello.' And the GOP should not be encouraging that type of apathy for one's country of residence.

lasenorita
07-11-2008, 12:15 PM
...is the second most-spoken language in the world, and in the United States. 1-in-10 U.S. families speak Spanish at home. We are the world's fifth-largest Spanish-speaking country. Fifty years from now, Hispanics will consist +/- 1/4 of the population. It's also the most widely-taught second-language at schools. 13% of our fellow American citizens consider Spanish their first language.

The United States is a nation of immigrants, and the Constitution guarantees our right to freedom of speech. In America, we are free to say whatever we want in any language we want. The very basis of the free market is that the buyer and seller make their own decisions regarding their activities. While American English is a huge part of our cultural identity, it doesn't mean that we should exclude other perfectly good languages. That's unAmerican.

Also, it's not hard to imagine that a person will still be most comfortable with their native tongue despite residing in the US for years. Try immigrating to another country (legally), and it's likely that while you may learn to survive, you'll find that thorough comprehension is difficult to attain. Many natural-born Americans don't even know how to speak proper English, and some ESL students understand English better than you or me. And if we're going to compare neighbors, I'll have ya'll know that I can barely understand Texans with the exception of Dr. Paul. ;):p

BTW: I ♥ English.

Cinderella
07-13-2008, 06:55 PM

my father was almost 30 when he moved here and never took an english lesson in his life...i never said he didnt speak fluent english......he has a thick accent and it can be difficult for some to understand him...and obviously spanish being his native language is easier for him to understand....my father has been a citizen of this country for over 20 yrs....he learned the language and works LEGALLY pays taxes etc so yes if they decide they want to "pander" to those who dont speak english as their first language is great!!!!!!!!!

btw i dont think the Native Americans spoke english when their land was stolen by the "white" man:rolleyes: